WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    The youngest person in our party was 17 and the oldest around 70. We all hiked safe and smart and got back sound though tired and sore. And we all expected to be able to place and receive calls at such busy places as Pinkham Notch and the summit of Mt. Washington.
    Interesting. You didnt answer my question though- how old are you? Honestly, it certainly would be nice if there was service, but expecting it strikes me as very unreasonable. Of course, I am 50 and so remember when there was no cell phone coverage, and many years of spotty coverage.

Images

So you're saying it's a bad idea to put in two small transmitters as I've suggested? Are you hostile to cell phone service generally?

I bet if you talked to SAR guys and gals they'd also tell you of a person or two, well prepared and smart but unlucky, who was hurt by a falling rock or similar problem - not by stupidity or lack of planning - and who they were able to save due to immediate cell phone communication, whereas the rescued might've died with the delay due to having to send someone as a messenger. Bet there's lots of stories like that.
    Just talk to the SAR guys.I carry a cell phone myself, but I know I cant rely on it in the mountains. Im saying carrying a cell phone sometimes compensates for lack of preparation. Most SAR Ive spoken to will tell you theres nothing wrong with carrying a cell phone, just not to think it will get you out of trouble.Im sure if I were in trouble, Id appreciate being able to get cell service. but i wont expect to.

Who says it's not economically feasible to provide service into the Notch? It'a possible to put smaller repeater tramsitters in place atop existing structures, one at the busy, well-developed summit and one at Pinkham.
    It's not nearly as simple as that. Bascially, a mini-cell site would have to be installed to service just the notch and that is a very expensive thing to do.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I would recommend bringing a shortwave radio transmitter...th_coffee.gif

are you seriously whining about not having phone signal on the trail?

Smoke signals work for me....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bobqzzi View Post
    Honestly, it certainly would be nice if there was service, but expecting it strikes me as very unreasonable.
    Pinkham Notch mid-summer is a town, in effect, of 2000 people. Hikers, workers, overnighters. I'd bet a dollar or two there are few towns of that population in the U.S. without a decent cellular signal. Very few. In that light, do you stand by your statement that it's "very unreasonable" to expect decent cell service at Pinkham? I agree it would be very unreasonable to expect a signal in every nook and cranny of Tuckerman's Ravine or the Great Gulf, due to the vagaries of terrain. But no service at the mother ship or at the summit, which has plenty of doodads and gizmos?

With due respect, I think yours is the unreasonable position, given how cheap and easy is the fix I propose and how much convenience and safety enhancement would be afforded by them. We're not talking lightly traveled backcountry Maine here. We're talking two well-developed and highly-frequented places, Pinkham and the summit. This ain't Chinese arithmetic.

Speaking of arithmetic, my age is not yours to know. I've left more than enough data tracks on this site, however, that if you want to narrow it down, you can. Directly, publicly and repeatedly asking a stranger his or her age is, I'm sure, not a central Dale Carnegie tenet.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Perhaps the locals don't care for it to become Hartford North.

Your expectation may be reasonable to some, or to others a reminder of Summer Tourist Season.

Pinkham Notch mid-summer is a town, in effect, of 2000 people. Hikers, workers, overnighters. I'd bet a dollar or two there are few towns of that population in the U.S. without a decent cellular signal. Very few. In that light, do you stand by your statement that it's "very unreasonable" to expect decent cell service at Pinkham? I agree it would be very unreasonable to expect a signal in every nook and cranny of Tuckerman's Ravine or the Great Gulf, due to the vagaries of terrain. But no service at the mother ship or at the summit, which has plenty of doodads and gizmos?

With due respect, I think yours is the unreasonable position, given how cheap and easy is the fix I propose and how much convenience and safety enhancement would be afforded by them. We're not talking lightly traveled backcountry Maine here. We're talking two well-developed and highly-frequented places, Pinkham and the summit. This ain't Chinese arithmetic.

Speaking of arithmetic, my age is not yours to know. I've left more than enough data tracks on this site, however, that if you want to narrow it down, you can. Directly, publicly and repeatedly asking a stranger his or her age is, I'm sure, not a central Dale Carnegie tenet.
    Yes, I stand by my statement. I think it is completely unreasonable for you to EXPECT there is cell phone service on the trail in those places. I also think that your statement that the fix is "easy and cheap" is inaccurate. People always think things are easy and cheap when they don't have to do the work or pay for it either. What would be the motivation for cell carriers to go to that expense? In what way would it improve their business?
    As for the summit of Mt.Washington, last time I was there, there was a pay phone.
    While I'm sure it would be much more convenient for those inclined to make cell phone use a part of their hiking experience, it's impact on safety is a double edged sword as others have pointed out.

How old are you again?

I mean no dis-respect here Driver8, but if you want "service" go to a WalMart when you have a complaint about a product you bought from them, as one reason why hiking trails were created (and protected by state/federal law) is because most want to get away from cell phone reception (and the endless debate out its use and abuse). To me, complaining about cell phone reception on the great hiking trails of America is like a middle aged fat guy complaining to a 16 year old server that his big mac doesn't taste good!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

[QUOTE=bobqzzi;1183032]Yes, I stand by my statement. I think it is completely unreasonable for you to EXPECT there is cell phone service on the trail in those places. I also think that your statement that the fix is "easy and cheap" is inaccurate. People always think things are easy and cheap when they don't have to do the work or pay for it either. What would be the motivation for cell carriers to go to that expense? In what way would it improve their business?
    As for the summit of Mt.Washington, last time I was there, there was a pay phone.
    While I'm sure it would be much more convenient for those inclined to make cell phone use a part of their hiking experience, it's impact on safety is a double edged sword as others have pointed out.
    ***Great perception (in my opinion) about this issue of cell phones on the trail.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Journal Entries

A serious, substantive reply. Thanks!

Who says it's not economically feasible to provide service into the Notch? It'a possible to put smaller repeater tramsitters in place atop existing structures, one at the busy, well-developed summit and one at Pinkham.

Of course it's mountain country, but it is also very heavily used, and such minor additions would be major aids to health and safety in a dangerous place. We, as a group, didn't expect crystal clear service in all spots on the mountainsides out there, but to ask for decent service in Pinkham doesn't seem like so much - not as costly or obstrusive as some might think - nor does it to have a small transmitter put in place on the summit grounds, given all the activity and structures up there.
    It wasn't more than 5 years ago, that I was arguing that the proliferation of cell phone use was destroying the sense of wildness that some of us seek by walking the hills and forests. I was told I was paranoid, that no one ever used a cell phone in front of others. It was just a safety device buried deep in their packs.

For what it's worth. I oppose any extension of cell phone use, regardless of how cheap it might be.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It's not nearly as simple as that. Bascially, a mini-cell site would have to be installed to service just the notch and that is a very expensive thing to do.
    Can you quantify, to a reasonable approximation, Slo-go'en, "very expensive"?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    are you seriously whining about not having phone signal on the trail?
    If you read my posts you'll see that I did have signal on trail - I lucked out and attempted calls from a good spot - and that my complaint is that there is no signal at Pinkham Notch, a well-developed and very busy place.

A few thoughts...
    The business of America is business - if it's not cost effective and profitable it's not going to happen. Especially in a small town.
    Money is tight all around, for the little guy and the Man. The economy is down and a small town in the mountains isn't going to be on the top of the list of investments if the money isn't there.
    Rangers/SAR relying on cell service to coordinate their activities would be silly, considering the nature of the beast. There's a reason they're using those radios.
    The small town of 2k has either embraced the limited service or has compensated for the lack of it.
    It's unfortunate that you assumed you would have service and became frustrated/concerned when you couldn't reach the other members of your party after you separated; obviously, it's too bad that you guys didn't know that beforehand, as you all could have planned appropriately.
    "Why confuse the issue with facts when you can just holler that the sky is falling? #OMGawdWereAllGonnaDie!" -Rocket Jones

at Pinkham Notch, a well-developed and very busy place.
    Pinkham Notch is not well developed.

Images

People always think things are easy and cheap when they don't have to do the work or pay for it either. What would be the motivation for cell carriers to go to that expense?
    I'm interested enough to investigate the latter question, Bob. I pay my cell phone bills, so it's not as though I'm some free rider, which is not constructive, imo.

How old are you again?
    I have addressed that question. You are now being rude, confrontational and borderline abusive. I don't care for that and ask you kindly to desist.

Images

pinkham notch is not a town and isnt really even close to any towns. youre basically complaining about lack of cell service at a hotel in the woods. isnt it also privte property? maybe the NFS and or AMC doesnt want transmitters or whatever installed there, cant say i blame them. the fact you got service up the mountain is just an accident that worked in your favor. why are you placing calls in the middle of a hike anyway? were you experiencing an emergency? if you were calling to tell someone how awesome it was that you were out hiking then this is exactly why having cell phone service in places like this is an annoyance.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AaronMB View Post
    Money is tight all around, for the little guy and the Man.
    The Man is doing quite well, thanks. Just read Forbes and Fortune's rich people lists. Not hurting.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronMB View Post
    The small town of 2k has either embraced the limited service or has compensated for the lack of it.
    Pinkham Notch is not a town per se. It's, for the purposes of this conversation, the base of operations for the AMC and the US Forest Service for the Presidential Range. In mid-summer, at peak activity, it has a large number of employees working there and a couple thousand hikers and is fronted by a broad-shouldered, well-improved, heavily traveled state highway. It's not as though the village citizens have decided to keep out cell towers.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    why are you placing calls in the middle of a hike anyway? were you experiencing an emergency? if you were calling to tell someone how awesome it was that you were out hiking then this is exactly why having cell phone service in places like this is an annoyance.
    Why aren't you reading posts to which you reply with pointed questions answered in those original posts? That, too, is an annoyance. Give a thorough read to the OP and get back to me - I think you'll approve of my cell phone usage in this instance - and try not to hector people without first doing the most minimal homework, if you kindly could, thanks.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++