WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

:banana Sapporo Kitchen Set up

Hey all,

After seeking out a Heineken keg can with no luck, I wanted to try to attempt to make something similar. The only can I came across that had both strength and volume was the Sapporo 22oz can. I tinkered with it for quite sometime to make it into a pot with lid. Also, I created a stove that actually attaches to the base of the pot. I am still working out some kinks but I figured I'd show you what I have so far. I'll post a few pictures below and if anyone would like some information on how I did it just post so in the replies.

Entire kitchen package:

Everything Out:

All set:

Images

I like it's name, sounds international

How did you make the holes in the stove?

How much water does the pot hold?

How much fuel to boil 2 cups

Are your lips covered with bandaids

What's wrapped around the pot?

What's next on your project?

Images

The stove is actually a supermarket brand slice olive can. It just so happens that it fits on the bottom of a Sapporo can.

To make the holes I used a Swiss army knife can opener and made tons of slits around the side of the can very close together. To remove sections I used a pair of needle nose plies to pull out pieces of metal until the holes were the right size to allow the flame to come out.

The can itself holds 22mL of water. It holds a little less since I krimped down the top. To do this, I cut slits in the can using pruning shears and simply bent them over. In two spots there are "deeper" slots where I cut the can further down. This allows the top which has two "tabs" that stick off to rest so it will not slip and fall into the pot.

I wrapped some paracord around the pot after noticing how warm it got. This allows me to lift it up to pour the hot water out after I heat it up. To get it on there I "whip" wrapped it and burned the paracord accordingly to prevent it from untying itself.

I wasn't planning on drinking directly from the pot. Although, I did notice that after pressing the lip down with needle nose pliers it is smooth enough to drink out of without cutting yourself (I know it does look a bit sketchy though).

Hope this helps! I was did it today while messing around. Needed a break from exam studying.

Images

As for fuel, its just like any other alcohol stove. I still need to do some more tests but it only takes a little over an ounce of denatured alcohol to get a boil around 10 min.

The flames come out of the sides of the stove? If so, then a wide pot would work better because you're losing all that heat up the side of the tall, narrow pot.

Images

A bit of the flames do. It isn't as extreme as some stores. Majority of the flame sits under the pot.

A side-cutting safety can opener may give you a really nice edge on the Sap' can. It's what folks use to cut the tops off Hen/Fosters cans; of course, don't open the can, first.

Was it Zelph or Zenstoves that did several tests that show that flames going up the sides of cans aren't as inefficient as believed?
    "Why confuse the issue with facts when you can just holler that the sky is falling? #OMGawdWereAllGonnaDie!" -Rocket Jones

ive been wanting to do something with a sapporo can for quite some time. my only problem is dealing with their odd shape, but i love how strong they are.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AaronMB View Post
    A side-cutting safety can opener may give you a really nice edge on the Sap' can. It's what folks use to cut the tops off Hen/Fosters cans; of course, don't open the can, first.

Was it Zelph or Zenstoves that did several tests that show that flames going up the sides of cans aren't as inefficient as believed?
    I did quite a bit of testing and came to the conclusion that it's ok for them to go up the side for a short distance, say about 1/3 the way. The Ring Of Fire stove design worked quite well.

I think SGT. Rock was the one that said flames up the side was a no-no and that kinda stuck in everyones mind for quite some time.

Small stoves the size of tes
    a lights take a long time to boil water and most of the time will not under outdoor conditions in a breeze situation. Better to have a hotter burning stove and some flames up the side.

What is the general consensus nowadays? Lots of stove makers out there since Rock went dormant/retired. Skidsteer also, he's retired and off in the islands somewhere sipping coconut milk.

I tried that Sapporo can a few years back.
    A "Japanese" shop nearby was closing down ; they had several empty ones (used for decoration) so I gave them a few dollars for them and we were all happy with that.
    (Sapporo is about $7 a can here..)
    The can as a pot did not work well for me because they are stainless steel and take longer to heat up than aluminium.
    One project I also tried was something like the Volcano (Swiss Army stove) but that did not come out right either.
    Franco

Images

I ended up opting for one of those Optimus pot/pan kits with a tuna can stove. Much more reliable with a quick boil

++ New Posts ++