WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Directions to Davidson River / Art Loeb trailhead

I'm planning to hike the Art Loeb trail this week and am starting on the north end and hiking south.

What I need are good directions to the southern terminus near Davidson River campground somewhere around Brevard.

Can anyone tell me how to get to Art Loeb trailhead @ Davidson River from Asheville?

From the Asheville airport take NC Hwy 280 (exit 40 on I-26) west toward Brevard. Approx 16 miles you will come to the US276 intersection, take a right and go approx 1 mile to the Davidson River campground on the left. the ranger station is on the right a little farther on US276. Hope this helps and you have a great time

Default Art Loeb Trailhead at Davidson River Campground

map for trailhead

Doesn't get any better than that! Thanks.

Are you car camping the night before? I can tell you where a great "free" area is just past the ranger station/visitors center.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Are you car camping the night before? I can tell you where a great "free" area is just past the ranger station/visitors center.
    No...

My son is dropping me off Wednesday at the BSA Daniel Boone Camp and if I don't get lost my wife is picking me up at Davidson River Thursday.

It's supposed to be hot Wednesday - I'm feeling semi-unmotivated to tell you the truth.

Images

Water is pretty scarce along a lot of the trail. Some of the reported sources are either hard to find or are pitiful seeps. This was one trail where I opted to bring extra carrying capacity instead of hunting for water, and was glad I did.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Thanks Marta. It's been raining quite a bit so maybe it won't be parched. I plan on starting with 2 quarts and will adjust accordingly. From what I gather, the northern end is dryer than the southern so I'll be starting on the dry side.

Might even start with 3 quarts now that I think about it....

That is if I go..... I've got my rides lined up and all. It's just that I open the front door and start sweating... I bet it's grueling hot climbing hills with a pack on.

10-K,

You're going to do it in two days, one night? Wow... it took me all day to hike from Gloucester Gap to the southern terminus... but then again, I was with a bunch of teenage Girl Scouts who wanted to take breaks every hour or so...

Even though we went in September, I noticed that lots of the southern half of the trail was thigh-high in grasses and weeds. We could follow it OK, but we usually go on trails that are a little better maintained...

An idea... Cache some water on the Blue Ridge Parkway where it crosses the Art Loeb... that's what Jan Liteshoe did a couple of years ago, and it worked great for her. There ia a pretty reliable piped spring by Butter Gap shelter, FYI...

Also, make sure you go through the Shining Rock Wilderness in the daytime... the trails are not marked up there and there are a few intersections that could could be a little confusing in the light, never mind the dark...

Jeanne Hatter

Images

In May a couple years back the Deep Gap shelter had a flowing spring but who knows what it's like now

Good, reliable water source at trail junction just past Wilderness boundary, on your left (southbound). There may be some water near the forest road crossing, but it has been a while since we've been that way. There should be water at Deep Gap shelter, but I have also heard mixed reliability about this source. have a great time! I love this trail!

++ New Posts ++