WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Kettle vs Pot

Images

Default Kettle vs Pot

This question occurred to me while reading another thread. Rather than hijack that one, I'll ask here.

What is the advantage, if you are freezer bag cooking, to using a kettle instead of a pot? Some added ease with pouring, I would guess, but much less versatility as well, no option to heat a can of spaghetti-Os on a zero day if you want. Is there any other advantage? Aren't the kettles heavier? Less convenient to pack?

Just wondering. I've considered the option, but never convinced myself that there is any real advantage.

Just easier to boil water in and pour from. Also my kettles have a wider bottom so they have more surface area to heat and they are a bit more stable.

My kettles

The Titan kettle is a good compromise IMO.

Kettles aren't necessarily heavier, but I did note a significant improvement on boil times when using one over my old pot. As dla mentioned, it's also much easier to pour from.

A pot is more versatile. Even so, I've switched to a kettle.

I've been beating this guy up for a while now and it's holding up great, boils water fast and you can pour a can of Spaghetti-O's in if needed. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___81209
    At $8- it's a good investment, works well and is light.
    When night falls she cloaks the world in impenetrable darkness, A chill rises from the soil and contaminates the air, suddenly....life has new meaning.

I suppose it would depend on the construction/shape of the kettle. For trips with the GF (ie: non-solo) I take the REI Ti Kettle (like the Titan kettle, it doesn't have a separate pour spout), which pours great, of course, but will also reheat a can of 'whatever' just fine. It's light and small, but just big enough to nest a small SP canister, a SP stove and the rest of my kitchen.
    "Why confuse the issue with facts when you can just holler that the sky is falling? #OMGawdWereAllGonnaDie!" -Rocket Jones

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

A kettle is a uni-tasker. All it can do is boil water. Period. Ok, it can pour the water you just boiled, but nothing more.

Images

It weighs a lot less, and anyone can do it:

This is only for summer. In fall/spring and winter I still use a pot.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Journal Entries
    Images

Kettle's lost their value when the took away the damn whistle.... Now its just another "watched" pot.

When I back of car camp - I use the kettle to alert me when its at boil, allowing me to multi-task the breakfast and tea.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Kinda the conclusion that I've come to. No striking advantage. Guess I'll save my money and stick with a Pot. Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    A kettle is a uni-tasker. All it can do is boil water. Period. Ok, it can pour the water you just boiled, but nothing more.
    I disagree. Like I mentioned before, besides boiling water, you can easily heat up some spaghetti-O's, make pasta/noodles, rice, stew, soup, reheat other foods, etc. I bet you can even cook some bacon in there. You have to look at it as more of a pot with a pour spout. Granted, it might not be as easy to get your Spaghetti-o's out it would be with a regular pot, but it can be done. Oh, yea, and as you mentioned, you can pour water and other stuff.
    You should always look for any piece of gear to be more than a uni-tasker if possible. And with a kettle, it's possible. Not to mention the stuff you can store within the kettle. No reason to carry a hollow kettle in your pack.
    When night falls she cloaks the world in impenetrable darkness, A chill rises from the soil and contaminates the air, suddenly....life has new meaning.

Interesting question. Leads to some other interesting questions, like what defines a kettle vs a pot?
    Is it that one has straight sides and the other sides curl in ?
    Or is it that one might have a handle and the other a bail ?
    Or is the spout? What about a pot with a kink in the rim to pour from ?

Call it a kettle, a pot, or a mug, or whatever, I think the more fundamental issue is what shape and size you want, and how you want to handle it.
    I like a bail when heating it over a small wood fire, but maybe a mug type handle when concerned more about eating and drinking out of it.
    No reason it can't have both they are going to be detachable for packing anyway. As for a the sides, I like straight sides, with a kink for pouring.

One thing I like about my tea kettles is that I can fill them with a drag motion in the water, or from the end of my hiking stick. Suppose I could do it with a rope too. The short wide profile seems more stable IMO.

++ New Posts ++