WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to train

:banana How to train

I have not hiked this year. I want to start training myself for the hike in March or April. I would like suggestions on how to train.
    Thanks a lot. This is a great site. Thanks to all who work on it.

Images

Start with small trails and a light pack and work your way up. Work on your cardio too.

Don't believe the BS about only being able to get fit for hiking by hiking, that's a good place to start. That's like saying that Roger Federer only plays tennis to get fit, of course he doesn't, he does alot of gym work and regular exercise.

The problem with training for a long hike is that while you are training, you are likely to have other responsibilities that take up your time, so finding time to train can be problematic for some people. Also, having access to the resources determines alot...like do you live 5 mins from a loop trail or do you live in the city? WHen training serious, I try to take a couple days off from work in the peak period, so I can spend an entire day hiking, but sometimes this is not possible.

I find a mix of doing stairs (actual stairs, not a machine, about 1500 per session, up and down) with a pack on twice a week, a run/walk combination of about 6 miles twice per week and a solid hike once per week can really do alot for fitness levels. Ideally, I would probably prefer to hike 10 miles, about 3 times per week with a pack on over moderate terrain, plus do some cardio work, but at the moment I can't do something like that.

In 2008 I trained by hiking a 3.6 mile loop trail, 3-4 times per week, for about 6 weeks. It was a fairly moderate/difficult trail including hundreds of steps in places. I would try to do it in about 65-67 minutes, which seemed to be the average when I pushed it. This helped so much. That year my shortest full day on the AT was my first day, which was 16 miles, plus I was then a smoker, aged 33.

Images

Hey - I DO think real hiking is the best way to train - but try the following to get started and the use of a BOSU ball to increase your core strength. A 20 lb weight vest only cost that many dollars at walmart as well.

1. ESTABLISH A BASELINE OF DAILY CARDIO :. (Note: Please be sure to get checked by your Doctor first if you haven't been working out for a while or have any accompanying prohibitive health conditions). Start slow if you are starting from scratch - but make it daily. A slow building consistency is the key here - but we only have a few months. You are training for endurance - not a race. If you have a treadmill with a climbing program that goes up & down during your workout - use it to simulate climbing - maximize the incline / declines after a week or so. Try for 30 minutes EVERY DAY. Decrease the pitch of your treadmill if you need to - to make it to 30 minutes. If you have a neighborhood with some hills - walk that instead - as real walking is best.
    2. TAKE THE STAIRS - AND STAIRS - AND STAIRS...
      This is as "Rocky" "old school" type of training as it gets - training on stairs, stairwells, stadiums steps, etc. - IS THE BEST PREP ! Climb up and down stairs for 30 minutes twice per week and get used to it!
    3. GET BOARD
      Put a 1" thick board on the ground and place your toes and balls of your feet onto the board - with most of your foot to the heel off the board (wearing your shoes). Do slow push ups in sets of 6 - and do 3 sets.

Do your walking and stairs on some days - and combine the walking with the board exercise with the walking on the other days. (Walk Sunday to Saturday, Combine walking with stairs Monday & Wednesday, Combine walking with board Tuesday and Thursday!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir-Packs-Alot View Post
    Hey - I DO think real hiking is the best way to train - but try the following to get started and the use of a BOSU ball to increase your core strength. A 20 lb weight vest only cost that many dollars at walmart as well.

1. ESTABLISH A BASELINE OF DAILY CARDIO :. (Note: Please be sure to get checked by your Doctor first if you haven't been working out for a while or have any accompanying prohibitive health conditions). Start slow if you are starting from scratch - but make it daily. A slow building consistency is the key here - but we only have a few months. You are training for endurance - not a race. If you have a treadmill with a climbing program that goes up & down during your workout - use it to simulate climbing - maximize the incline / declines after a week or so. Try for 30 minutes EVERY DAY. Decrease the pitch of your treadmill if you need to - to make it to 30 minutes. If you have a neighborhood with some hills - walk that instead - as real walking is best.
    2. TAKE THE STAIRS - AND STAIRS - AND STAIRS...
      This is as "Rocky" "old school" type of training as it gets - training on stairs, stairwells, stadiums steps, etc. - IS THE BEST PREP ! Climb up and down stairs for 30 minutes twice per week and get used to it!
    3. GET BOARD
      Put a 1" thick board on the ground and place your toes and balls of your feet onto the board - with most of your foot to the heel off the board (wearing your shoes). Do slow push ups in sets of 6 - and do 3 sets.

Do your walking and stairs on some days - and combine the walking with the board exercise with the walking on the other days. (Walk Sunday to Saturday, Combine walking with stairs Monday & Wednesday, Combine walking with board Tuesday and Thursday!
    I agree hiking is a very effective way to train for hiking...however, there are other ways to accomplish the same goal.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Running helps my cardiovascular status. But the muscles you use for many activities is not the same for hiking nor for carrying a burden like a 30 lb backpack which stresses the limbs. So when you do go hiking you need to start slow and build up. You could likely do a big mile day the first day out, but guarantee if you keep up that pace, esp older folks, you're knees will get you sooner or later.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I'm getting ready for this April as well. I throw dumbells in my backpack and walk up and down the local sledding hill for a few hours, closest thing to a mountain we've got around here.
    "I don't see what that's got to do with catchin' birds." ~The Kid

Thanks for the suggestions. they all have benefit

Images

Yep - many folks who are runners somehow don't think they'll have a problem backpacking. Runners definetely understand how a sprinter cannnot run a long distancers race or vice versa - different muscle groups. They somehow don't apply it to backpacking and are often surprised. If you cannot actually hike - I recommend climbing real stairs with weight on your back.

hike hike hike hike hike hike hike

only way to get better at something is by doing it. The running, cardio, weights, and other forms of getting in shape should be supplemental.

Load a pack with 50 lbs of plates, hop on a treadmill, set elevation at 15.0, speed at 2.5 for starters and go for 30 minutes.
    Time it of course and when you can beat your first recorded time by 3 minutes for 3 consecutive humps move the time to 3.0.
    Do this 3 times a week and on alternate days do leg presses and/or cardio with no pack for 30 minutes.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

Other than impact issues, cycling is as close to a 1:1 to hiking as you can get. It's just hard to hike for a workout at home--once you can hike for 2-3 hours without getting tired, how do you have time to train? Get a bike (with real pedals/shoes) and you can drop the hammer and get a great workout in a brief period of time.

Jumping rope is great.

Running is good, but distance runners tend to be injury prone as hikers from what I've seen--too little muscle mass. Perhaps repeats of middle distances would be better, but I don't know of any middle distance runners that hiked, so you'd be the guinea pig on that one.

Weight training is great if you have good technique and have a good free weight routine. Using machines usually does more harm than good. If you want to weight train hire a qualified trainer until your form is 100% spot on.

Journal Entries

If you are thru hiking, after a couple weeks you will be a hiking machine. Whether you have pre-training or not.

Flexibility + cardio + strength + consistency is one way I tend to look at training for a long distance hike. I've found simple yoga warmups and basic poses help keep the body more fluid, especially since getting past 50. I try to walk 3-4 miles at least every other day - usually with a 5-9 kg daypack. The only thing I will likely change this year is to take more frequent walks of longer duration with the pack I will be carrying on the trail.

All the best with your hike!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    If you are thru hiking, after a couple weeks you will be a hiking machine. Whether you have pre-training or not.
    Yeah..but those who don't live an active lifestyle are more likely to drop out quicker.

This may help:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...425#post184425

My own 'training' is to be active: Bike commute, hike and backpack a lot, climb 1-2 times a week after work, workout in the gym during winter and lots of ski touring during winter as well (best all around outdoor exercise: Works all the muscles, works on the balance so you are working the small muscle groups as well, cardio, core, strength..and it is fun!)

And the benefit from all this? When I do an multi-day backpack like this past week, I don't have to work my way up to fitness like many thru-hikers starting from Springer. Hiking is enjoyable and not a trudge.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

I used the program from the book "Climbing: Training for Peak Performance" for three months, it was all worth it. also, I lost 23 lbs on Weight Watchers--In essence I go t my pack for free. these two approaches worked for me.

Hiking should be on the top of your training list. That being said if you thru-hike you will be in shape by a couple of weeks regardless of whatever you did prior to beginning your hike. Hike with good technique and posture, try different cadences and/or speeds to find your style. Poor posture over 2000 miles adds up. Also try interval hiking for a robust cardiovascular system.

A couple things to consider:
    - Feet are most important, if hiking to get into shape for hiking wear your boots to break them in and to determine if they are the right shoes for you. Also maybe find an nice grass field to SLOWLY build up a barefoot training regimen, running, jumping, calisthenics, jump rope, etc. Intrinsic foot muscle strength and ankle stability will benefit from barefoot training considering you DO NOT get an overuse injury whilst doing so. Refer to Vibram fivefinger precautions... build up slowly.

- Functional training would be helpful. CORE CORE CORE. This does NOT mean just go do sit ups/crunches. Glute max and traps will help build a strong back. Glute max, Glute med, hamstrings, hip flexors, and all of the abdominals will help give you a strong pelvis. Planks, lunges, squats and/or deadlifts. Yoga warrior poses are good also.

- Practice good Posture with everyday activity. Including while you sit here and read this.

Technique matters otherwise you might be setting yourself up for injury. Stay away from the machines. Because you asked how to train this far in advance I am assuming you wanted more than just advice to go hike. Feel free to PM me and I would be happy to help you with designing a training protocol.

May the Hike be with You!

Quote Originally Posted by Aram View Post
    - Practice good Posture with everyday activity. Including while you sit here and read this.
    I wonder how many people suddenly sat upright while reading this.
    Formerly known as Texas Phlox.

You have plenty of time to get in shape before your hike. Walk every day 2-3 miles. (Rain, snow, sun ... what do you think you'll experience on the Trail?) Then once a week get out and do a real hike. Put weight on your back - a daypack at least, but preferably your loaded pack. Do some overnights to get yourself comfortable with sleeping in the woods and using your gear.

As Mags said, while you CAN get into shape on the trail, a lot of those who leave the trail the first week do so because they never realized how hard it can be to walk all day, every day. The better shape you are in to begin with, the less pain you'll feel. The more you enjoy the hiking, the more likely you are to stick with it. If you really want to thruhike the AT, you should be making a real effort now to optimize your chances.

When I need to get into hiking shape, I put on a small to medium backpack with about 20lbs inside it and start walking around town for an hour to an hour and half every day without stopping. After about 4 weeks of this, you will be in pretty good condition. I never understood why people pay for a gym or drive an hour to walk somewhere. Just go out your front door and start walking. While you may not live near mountains or elevation changes, any walking with weight over time will get you in shape.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++