WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Hike smarter, not harder.

I want one just to use the inner by itself, which is all I need about 90% of the time.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    franco, that doesn't sounds like something i would say (maybe i'm wrong), simply because i understand the complexities in factory sealing a silnylon tent, which for a company like tarptent would be expensive and problematic and require additional coating to the material, etc...

What i do recall is making a comment about having to spray silicone on your $250 tent to prevent it from 'misting', which i still stand by. Sorry franco, but i have experienced misting in tarptents, and i hear about it happening with tt's alot more than with other tents. Judy at lightheart told me she has never had a single complaint about misting in her tents - just for comparison purposes (don't get upset)

as for cuben, i don't have a view because i don't have any experience with cuben, but in theory yes...if you need to spray expensive fabric to keep water from coming through it i would have a problem with it (again, i'm not talking about seam sealing)

i would assume tnf ve25 would have an additional coating on the inside to keep the factory tape stuck, as do most major tent manufacturerers, i don't have an issue with the cost, i can quite easily afford a $1000 tent if i needed one, that's not the point. Performance is my issue, not cost, but cost and performance are relevant to each other.

I understand your problem, you work for them in some capacity or are closely aligned with them. For me, you are somewhat hard to take seriously, with your over the top tt praise. You might want to recognise the contributions of other small manufacturers instead of getting pissy everytime someone knocks tarptent.

I also have some issues with six moon designs tents, yet i don't see them taking the same approach as you. I just recently posted concerns about the skyscape, in particular the shallow bathtub floor, and they responded. You might want to read that response and gain some insight, no it's not just about tarptent.

Although i suspect with you...it is all about you. And you love tarptent, so it's all about them as well.

Perhaps make another video on how to sit upright in a tent, that was exciting.
    lmao!!!!
    ....hosed!
    When night falls she cloaks the world in impenetrable darkness, A chill rises from the soil and contaminates the air, suddenly....life has new meaning.

Just to go back to these comments :
    As for the 1 person, with a floor size of 2.5'x7' and weight of 2 pounds, without poles, slanted end walls, and it looks to need a lot of guy lines/stakes (not to mention time to set up properly), I don't get it.

Many complain that most solo shelters are too small.
    This one isn't. However some may realise that a larger shelters does take more space and has to be heavier too.
    As for the guylines ,they are "built in". The bugnet/inner only shot shows the two guylines from the pole apex to the ground (that also should give a good idea of the size of the vestibule) this shot shows the other two "guylines" and those are the corner tie-out points.
    So in effect you have four anchoring points.
    ss1-6.jpgss1-1.jpg
    My guess is that I will be able to put it up in less than 2 minutes , if that is a fast or slow set up I am not sure about your times.
    Franco

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    As for the 1 person, with a floor size of 2.5'x7' and weight of 2 pounds, without poles, slanted end walls, and it looks to need a lot of guy lines/stakes (not to mention time to set up properly), I don't get it.

This one isn't. However some may realise that a larger shelters does take more space and has to be heavier too.
    As for the guylines ,they are "built in". The bugnet/inner only shot shows the two guylines from the pole apex to the ground (that also should give a good idea of the size of the vestibule) this shot shows the other two "guylines" and those are the corner tie-out points.
    ss1-6.jpgss1-1.jpg
    My guess is that I will be able to put it up in less than 2 minutes , if that is a fast or slow set up I am not sure about your times.
    Franco
    I take it that those are 20" pads. That looks to make it 40" rather than the stated 30". unless the pads are stretching/pulling the sides out. I'm 6'3", I would never use a tent that is 7' with such steep angles at the ends. anyone over 6' will have issues with that. Again, this floor size, without poles at 2 pounds and misting issues (not to mention that I'm sure it's going to be over $200), I still don't get it.
    When night falls she cloaks the world in impenetrable darkness, A chill rises from the soil and contaminates the air, suddenly....life has new meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post

ss1-6.jpgss1-1.jpg
    Franco
    As far as set up time, in ideal conditions like your backyard lawn or some sand in Australia,sure, 2 minutes or less, but have you ever been on the AT? It's very rocky and at times can be a challenge to stake down a tent. Sure it's always possible, especially at some shelter sites where there tends to be more dirt, but not always. How many times has anyone been on the AT, go to put a stake in, get an inch down and come to a stop. Time to move or find some rocks or other anchors. At least the areas I have sectioned are like that.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mykl View Post
    As far as set up time, in ideal conditions like your backyard lawn or some sand in Australia,sure, 2 minutes or less, but have you ever been on the AT? It's very rocky and at times can be a challenge to stake down a tent. Sure it's always possible, especially at some shelter sites where there tends to be more dirt, but not always. How many times has anyone been on the AT, go to put a stake in, get an inch down and come to a stop. Time to move or find some rocks or other anchors. At least the areas I have sectioned are like that.
    Doesn't sound like a big issue. Just an inconvenience. Sounds like your complaint would be for any tent as all tents should be staked out.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post
    Doesn't sound like a big issue. Just an inconvenience. Sounds like your complaint would be for any tent as all tents should be staked out.
    Didn't say it was a big issue, re-read. I'm saying NOT 2 minutes or less is most cases.

Images

Didn't say it was a big issue, re-read. I'm saying NOT 2 minutes or less is most cases.
    It is obviously an issue to you because you brought it up. If it takes you 90 seconds on lawn or 3 minutes on rocky soil, who gives a crud. Are you in a rush to get somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post
    It is obviously an issue to you because you brought it up. If it takes you 90 seconds on lawn or 3 minutes on rocky soil, who gives a crud. Are you in a rush to get somewhere?
    Again, re-read. wow. Listen up. I didn't say it takes under two minutes. I didn't say it was an issue. I'm just stating the fact that I doubt that timing is true. Do you get that? You obviously give a "crud" for some strange reason. Clear the crud out of your eyes and try reading again. It's OK to think a bit. Give it a try. This is a message board familyguy, it's made for discussion, whether it's something you get, like, agree with or not, it's a discussion on hand. Stop being a troll if you have nothing to add accept complaints for you inability to read properly. Maybe you just like to whine. Any other ridiculous three sentence replies to something you don't get? Go a head, give it a try. Maybe you can make it to four an make it interesting.
    And sometimes I am in a rush to get somewhere, sometimes I'm not. What business is that if yours? Why would you care about my timing?
    OK, here you go, try this situation. You've been out in a bad storm for most of the day. You're tired, hungry, wet and cold. You have the ability to set up your tent, change, get warm and eat. Would you be in a rush to get that done when you arrive at your destination? It's simple really, but to each their own.
    Your a FunnyGuy.

Images

Again, re-read. wow. Listen up. I didn't say it takes under two minutes. I didn't say it was an issue. I'm just stating the fact that I doubt that timing is true. Do you get that? You obviously give a "crud" for some strange reason. Clear the crud out of your eyes and try reading again. It's OK to think a bit. Give it a try. This is a message board familyguy, it's made for discussion, whether it's something you get, like, agree with or not, it's a discussion on hand. Stop being a troll if you have nothing to add accept complaints for you inability to read properly. Maybe you just like to whine. Any other ridiculous three sentence replies to something you don't get? Go a head, give it a try. Maybe you can make it to four an make it interesting.
    And sometimes I am in a rush to get somewhere, sometimes I'm not. What business is that if yours? Why would you care about my timing?
    OK, here you go, try this situation. You've been out in a bad storm for most of the day. You're tired, hungry, wet and cold. You have the ability to set up your tent, change, get warm and eat. Would you be in a rush to get that done when you arrive at your destination? It's simple really, but to each their own.
    Your a FunnyGuy.
    I don't care about your timing or if you have 4 fingers and two thumbs and this means using your mouth to assist with set up, but you suggested to Franco that under 2 minutes would be pushing it. Now this is even without a.) these shelters being available and b.) you having one in your 4 fingered hand. So clearly this IS something on your mind. Is the timing an issue because there aren't instructions for you? Is it because there are instructions but they are written in pen instead of crayon? Is this an issue because your Daddy didn't say he loved you enough? Or is this an issue because you can't actually find anything worth saying about the shelter so just for poops and giggles you determined that the tent could not be set up in 2 minutes or less?

The point is...who cares if it takes 2 minutes or 4. Lets talk about design.

Images

Posting the ideal setup time is worthwhile, but so is pointing out that there's a limited area in which stakes can be placed.

Proof of 2-minute (actually 1:52) setup time now posted. It's not a very interesting video and we'll do a proper one with audio and explanation of features/ multiple setups etc. later this Fall.

http://www.tarptent.com/stratospire1.html#videos

-H

Images

Thanks Henry - the video angle really shows off the hybrid Mid design!

Images

This looks like a drag to setup.( I have the contrail and cloudburst) I would love to see Henry move the Contrail and Moment to Cuben fiber---That would be really great....

I don't know about this statement "Substantially more usable floor space and volume than any comparably poled shelter" as it still appears to have less floor space than the Lunar Duo. Good luck squeezing 3 people in a 52" wide tent, looks like that would not be a fun night sleep. I like the weight savings of tarptents and SMD shelters, I have the SMD Lunar Duo and used to have the solo, they do mist in heavy rain and you do have to learn to manage the condensation, but like anything it is manageable. I do get a bit confused by the constant trying to come up with new designs that at the end of the day just do not seem to make much difference. I am just not seeing anything exciting with this shelter that has not been done before, but then I have been on a quest for greater comfort lately and have begun to us a Hammock and love it. Anyway I just can not see anything that would have me trading in my Double Rainbow, Cloudburst, Lunar Duo, etc. to get this tent.

Images

Where have you seen a double walled (linked and modular) modified mid designed shelter that uses trekking poles prior to this one? Curious.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kia Kaha View Post
    I don't know about this statement "Substantially more usable floor space and volume than any comparably poled shelter" as it still appears to have less floor space than the Lunar Duo.
    'Usable' is the key word.

Kia Kaha, I posted this diagram on another forum but I hope this helps explain the usable volume and floor space improvement. There is no other comparably poled shelter that does better in the same footprint.

ssaframecompare.jpg

Q-tip, not sure how a sub 2-minute setup is a pain but certainly that time is pretty comparable to a Cloudburst. Agree that the Moment setup is faster.

-H

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    'Usable' is the key word.
    4 adults sitting up playing cards in a Duo seems pretty usable to me, key word is substantially in my book, and I disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by hshires View Post
    Kia Kaha, I posted this diagram on another forum but I hope this helps explain the usable volume and floor space improvement. There is no other comparably poled shelter that does better in the same footprint.

ssaframecompare.jpg

Q-tip, not sure how a sub 2-minute setup is a pain but certainly that time is pretty comparable to a Cloudburst. Agree that the Moment setup is faster.

-H
    It looks better to me, just not "substantially better than the Duo, that's all I am saying. You say none does better here, on your site you use the word "substantially", which means considerable, and I disagree with that statement it does not have considerable or substantially more usable space than the Lunar Duo, it is comparable. It does have quite a bit more space than the Double Rainbow, but so does the Lunar Duo. It looks like a well thought out shelter and a good design, it just does not make me want to run out and buy it, and comparing it to an a-frame is a bit outdated, how many folks are sleeping in an a-frame? Just my thoughts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++