WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

One other occurrence with a fisher happened. I was (again in the Adirondacks in Winter) at the junction of Wright and Algonquin, I was taking a short break, sitting with my back against my pack facing Wright , having a sandwich and some coffee. I don't know why but I got a strange feeling I was being watched. I looked up and down the trail and there was no one. It was deathly quiet and still - a perfect winter day. I looked behind me and at first saw nothing but pucker brush and a larger tree. I looked up in the branches and about 15' away from me, about 10 feet above me was a fisher "squatting" on the branch, appearing as if it was slowly coming toward me. I watched it and it backed up the branch, went down the back side of the tree and was gone. I always wondered if it was getting a closer looked, smelled my food or was planning an attack. It was definitely the size of a large raccoon.
    Last edited by Toolshed; 08-08-2011 at 15:20.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

My buddy back in Rhody lives in the northwest part of the state. It is about as rural as you are gong to get in Rhody....

anyway, on his property he pointed out some fisher cats to me. Rather cool.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

saw a fisher cat near the atc campsite in white mountains while trying to stealthcamp nearby to save money i moved a good 200 yds away i was afraid of what it might do to my gear while sleeping same reason i fear the porcupine

My most memorable fisher sighting was in Maine on the AT. There was about six inches of snow on the ground. I was walking along the Trail and a snowshoe wabbit came running at me and ran across the trail right in front of me.

I was thinking....what the heck....then a fisher came right after that. I didn't seem to matter to the fisher as he never lost stride chasing that wabbit. I don't know if he even saw me, though it all happened within a few feet of me.

It happened fast and was all over in just a few seconds.

I didn't actually see the fisher catch the wabbit, but I can't imagine he had much trouble.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

Images

i have seen fisher cats here in northeast connecticut...

Images

I see a couple or so every year up here. There's a pretty big egg farm near my house so they have plenty of reason to hang out around here.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stumpknocker View Post
    It happened fast and was all over in just a few seconds.
    Just like when I tought I taw dat tutty tat!

yep they are not afraid of us despite stealth unlike bears where they could be avoiding you fisher is indifferent just alot rarer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++