WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Start in Boiling Springs, Drive or Take Amtrak?

I want to start hiking at the ATC office in Boiling Springs and head south. I could drive, but is there a safe place to leave my vehichle for 2-3 weeks? Or, I could take Amtrak to Harrisburg. If I take the train, should I just take a taxi to Boiling Springs? Thank you.

I believe there's safe long term parking in Boiling Springs. All the info you need should be here...

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiki...transportation

Images

Default Paving the long term parking lot in Boiling Springs?

Thank you Sly. I read that the long term parking lot was to be closed for resurfacing sometime after July 15. If this lot is open, does anyone know is it relatively safe for my vehicle? I think driving to Boiling Springs, hiking south to Harpers Ferry or Front Royal, then finding a way back to Boiling Springs is the way I should go.

You can leave your vehicle at my hostel off of Shippensburg Rd, and I can shuttle you up to Boiling Springs. Call me if you are interested at 717 352 4686

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    You can leave your vehicle at my hostel off of Shippensburg Rd, and I can shuttle you up to Boiling Springs. Call me if you are interested at 717 352 4686
    Thinking of making the same offer Chickenwing but you beat me to it. Noname there you go yah can't beat that deal.
    Alcohol was involved!

Images

Sounds good. I will call tomorrow. thank you.

Gotta love Birchy!

HEY...NONAME, here is my cell # in case you cannot get me at the hostel. I will be heading to Harper's Ferry today but call me at 717 357 4142 or the hostel number

Images

Just curious, why not get dropped off in Boling Springs then take a train back to Philly / NJ from VA? I started my section hike from Boling Springs in 2005, typically go North in the Fall and South in the Spring.

Images

My original plan was to take Amtrak from Philadelphia to Harrisburg, and take a taxi to ATC office in Boiling Springs. Start walking south, with the hope of making it to Harpers Ferry or Front Royal. I believe I could get back to Philadelphia easily from there. I know back from Harpers Ferry is easy. Front Royal, I think I need to head east and catch a train north.
    My second idea is to drive to Boiling Springs and park. Walk south to Harpers Ferry or Front Royal, and figure out a way to get back to Boiling Springs. I figure I could ask around Front Royal on how to getting to Harrisburg.
    Birchy was nice enough to offer his services. I like his offer, because if I park at his place, I only have to figure on how to get back there at the end. I am looking to start tomorrow, I am sure it will work out.
    Can't wait to walk in them woods!!

Images

Default re: Start in Boiling Springs

There are several other unmentioned options.

1) One can also take Greyhound to Harrisburg. The bus station is co-located at the Amtrak station. The little convenience store inside the station carries a good deal of resupply items except for fuel/HEET. If there's a long wait for the next bus and you're hungry, there's a nice food court on the 2nd floor of the shopping center just up the street and across from the state capitol.

2) A local bus line picks up at the park just down the street from the Amtrak station and crosses directly below the Appalachian Trail near Carlisle. You can get off at the trail or further ahead at the Flying J truck stop if you need to buy HEET. The bus costs less than a taxi. (We took the bus from the trail to the bus station at the end of our 2010 section hike.)

3) You could hike south from Carlisle and stay at the backpacker campsite just across the creek & train tracks from Boiling Springs proper or at the resort for your first night out.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

Images

I have found a Greyhound solution!! Thank you!!

NO-NAME.... The best solution is to do as you intended. I will take you to Boiling Springs, and when you reach Harper's Ferry you call me and I will come to HV to get you and bring you back here to get your car. That is the cheapest most convenient way. I'm back at the hostel call sunday night at 717 352 4686

Images

no-name you can trust Birchy to take VERY good care of you and your car. He is a stand up guy.
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyLeggs View Post
    no-name you can trust Birchy to take VERY good care of you and your car. He is a stand up guy.
    THANKS SHAKEYLEGGS for the vote of confidence

Images

Thanks to Birchy I had a great first hiking week on the trail!! It was tougher than I expected, but also better too. After a few days off the trail, I am ready to start planning my next trip. Harpers Ferry to Waynesboro, starting 8/28 or 9/11.

++ New Posts ++