Default Lake Butler work begins on Rail Trail/ Florida Trail

Construction is scheduled to begin on another section of the Palatka-Lake Butler State Trail in Union County and will follow the old Norfolk-Southern Railroad corridor which runs adjacent to State Road (SR) 100, according to the Florida DOT. Construction signs are scheduled to be installed beginning August 15 and heavy underbrush will first be cleared so construction can begin on the four-mile section of the trail that begins in Lake Butler at SR 238 and ends at County Road (CR) 237.
    The Florida Trail follows this rail trail from Keystone Heights in Clay County to Lake Butler in Union County.

http://floridatransportationtoday.ty...rk-begins.html
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Wow. $1.3M!
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    Wow. $1.3M!
    LOL and that's only for about 4 miles. I imagine a lot of the cost is the trail head and parking lot in Lake Butler and the new bridges. They just finished work on 10 miles at the other end between Keystone and Grandi. Part of that with stimulus money because it was "shovel ready". They seem to be trying to please the little towns with easy access and local improvements to local parks before building the parts in the woods.
    I'd be happy if they just graded it and skipped the asphalt.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

aka Kudzu
    Images

I read the 4 mile part and hoped my eyes were deceiving me when I saw the price tied to it. We don't need no stinkin' asphalt. I'm going into the trail construction business!
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Them North Florida boys know how to milk the money from a federal government they seem to hate so much. They also just finished a sidewalk- bike path from Keystone Heights to the entrance for Gold Head State Park along State Road 21. Cost? $1.4 million 5.5 miles.

http://www.claytoday.biz/content/746_1.php

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Them North Florida boys know how to milk the money from a federal government they seem to hate so much. They also just finished a sidewalk- bike path from Keystone Heights to the entrance for Gold Head State Park along State Road 21. Cost? $1.4 million 5.5 miles.

http://www.claytoday.biz/content/746_1.php
    We've been invaded by big spending types, hopefully that stops now that we're having so many problems. I've been to the Jacksonville-Baldwin trail (Seg #42 on the map) Complete waste of money. I'll stick to the roads.

I'm a big fan of Florida's Rail Trails and have biked on most of them. My problem is with the suits and pencil pushers that plan them and design them. The money they put into things like trail heads with more parking than will ever be seen. Or horse staging areas for once a year usage if that often. Wooden rail fences to protect private property or keep users out of sensitive natural areas. It all looks real pretty in a catalog but I'd rather see the money spent on land acquisition and basic trail building.

The Florida Trail itself is getting very little financial attention.

You want to see some real spending check out the camp shelters on the Suwannee River Canoe trail. Maybe because they are closer to the state capital. They have bridge ramps leading from the river, ( they have to be able to survive floods) carts to carry your gear in, screened enclosures with ceiling fans and hot water showers. All for free.

I think the Florida trail has maybe three or four shelters along the whole 1,300 miles, and still way too many road miles.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    The Florida Trail itself is getting very little financial attention.
    Part of the problem is that these rails-to-trails and the East Coast Greenway ( http://www.greenway.org/benefits.aspx )... are being "sold", thus gets the financial attention, as a way to attract people to alternate forms of transportation. I can't believe people are so gullible. BTW, wanna buy some carbon credits

++ New Posts ++