Images

Default What are your favorite FLT sections?

I'm going to be driving all around the state this summer the Atlantic, Keys, Gulf Coast, and panhandle areas and was hoping to get some input on favorite backpacking or dispersed camping spots, or even other favorite cheap or free camping along the FLT or elsewhere!

Images

Default I am partial to my local area

I am very fond of the sections across Eglin AFB. These 3 sections total less than 50 miles, but are quite nice, removed from populated areas and are still very rustic. You must obtain a permit from Eglin to overnight.

I also like the sections along the Suwannee River. Both these areas have slow rolling hills and are not completely flat. Nothing strenuous but enought to keep it from being completely boring.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

I have done every section of the Panhandle minus Eglin. I'm not a huge fan of having to pay and register and I can't even bring my dogs.. So until It's left I'm gonna have to hold out on Eglin. I would suggest St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge.. This was by far the best hike I have ever done in Florida. The camping spot at big bend was epic. I'm also a big fan of Blackwater.. There are three decent shelters and you can pump water very easily being so close to the river. You follow a few historical trails like the jackson red trail that have a decent amount of Florida history behind it. There are also several big lakes around -- hurricane lake at the end. That are very beautiful.

My favorite hang out is Hidden Pond in the Ocala National Forest, abundance of water to filter, nice spots for tent and hammock camping. Not exactly hidden or a secret, especially on weekends, but a real jewel on the FT.

Well, the permits at Eglin hadn't been picked up in several years, at least at the west entrance. This was just this past February.

I agree with Eglin, it is beautiful! The Suwanee, St. Marks and Apalachicola are also very nice. Ocala National Forest is a good spot, too.

I agree...the Ocala National Forest is a beautiful section to hike...and Hidden Pond is a hidden jewel. The length of the national forest section is just under 75 miles, and it's a great trail!

Images

Chiming in with my favorites - Juniper Springs area was one of my favorites, both north- and south-bound.

I also like Suwanee River area, especially the Shoals section.

One of my local favorites is the section around JW Corbett in south Florida. I visit that area several times a year.

Images

My favorite FT is White Springs to Crooked Branch. http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=927350 a varied terrain for Florida runs along the river and has ravines small water crossings, some elevation and really pretty. We camped at disappearing creek.

You can hike Stephen Foster State Park to Suwannee River State Park entire trail along the Suwannee River. This is about a 46 mile trek and you will encounter one river camp with showers, bathrooms, campsites which is free to stay at (Holton Creek River Camp).

You can leave your car at or make shuttle arrangements with American Canoe Adventures. http://www.aca1.com/.

See my images listed on the left of this post all photos are of the FT many along the Suwannee.
    Last edited by Ladytrekker; 08-07-2011 at 13:27.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Images

If you are asking me about my favorite section of the FLT, it would be the section from Watkins Glen to the PA State Line. If you meant the FT, I've never beenon it.....
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

++ New Posts ++