Thread: Suggestions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Suggestions

I need some suggestions for a short 2-3 day backpacking trip on the florida trail. I'm located in Brunswick Georgia, about an hour north of jacksonville so I'd like something within a few hour drive if possible.

aka Kudzu
    Images

The closest section would be Olustee. You can do Olustee to Deep Creek which is about 20-25 (less if you park at the trailhead, more if you park at the country store). I'd probably head west, though, and hit the Suwanee section around White Springs.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

How does camping and stuff work. The florida trail website makes it seem like that section of the trail is surrounded by hunting clubs (seems dangerous) and you have to camp at designated areas and get a permit. Is there a forum or anything that has detailed info.

aka Kudzu
    Images

I guess technically the section I was referring to is Osceola but it starts at Olustee. We hiked through Cobb Hunt Camp but that's the only official one I recall. There might have been some hunters at Turkey Run but I can't recall for sure. I know there were some at West Tower. I don't recall anything about only camping in designated areas but I also don't recall many areas you can camp that aren't "designated". There weren't too many openings in the palmetto. If we needed a permit I've never heard that.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

There are no hunt clubs on National Forests in Florida, only on private land. General gun doesn't stat doesn't start until November 12, in Osceola Forest and North Florida. You may camp anywhere on the forest under the dispersed camping rules.
    Like Jax said shade and cleared spots together are rare on that section.
    I agree if you are going this time of year head to the Suwanee River section, cooler temperatures and better water supply.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I might not have been clear about camping. Dispersed camping is not allowed in Osceola Forest during general gun hunting season (Nov 12-Jan 8). Then you must camp at designated spots.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

++ New Posts ++