WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Parking at 19e

Default Parking at 19e

How safe is it to park and keep a car here overnight? It seems this place used to be really bad for vandalism. Is this still the case? I am looking at doing a section hike here.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

don't park there. Call mountain harbor BnB and pay them to park your car there.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Grey View Post
    How safe is it to park and keep a car here overnight?
    It's not particularly safe at all. Better safe than sorry, so, as ScottP said, park right down the road at Mountain Harbour Hostel for a few bucks per day. Get there early and take advantage of the breakfast.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Best part is that Mountain Harbour is downhill about 1/4 mile on the Tennessee side.
    Spend the night when done and stay for breakfast - it's one of the best on the trail

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Its still not advisable to park in between 19E to Bitter End. There has been recent vandalism with cars being broken into and tires slashed at the 19E trailhead.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    don't park there. Call mountain harbor BnB and pay them to park your car there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    It's not particularly safe at all. Better safe than sorry, so, as ScottP said, park right down the road at Mountain Harbour Hostel ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooting Star View Post
    Best part is that Mountain Harbour is downhill about 1/4 mile on the Tennessee side.
    I couldn't agree more! This is exactly what my youngest daughter and I did. Mountain Harbour was fantastic.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

We lef a car there for three days in June and had no problems, but it was not a very nice car!

Images

That area is the only one that I remember seeing numerous signs along the trail in both directions of the 19E crossing, warning hikers NOT to leave their vehicle unattended.

I will add my recommendation to avail yourself of the services of Mountain Harbour. Mary and Terry are great folks, 100% honest, and very hiker friendly. They have plenty of secure parking; offer a very nice, clean hostel; and, as others have already stated, a FANTASTIC breakfast if you spend the night. Highly Recommended. Terry also offers shuttles.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

Default beat them to the punch

usually if i'm wary of parkin' my buggy at a trailhead known for vandalism, i'll go ahead and slash my own tires and smash one window out, this works quite well as i've never had a problem.

Parked at Mountain Harbor last Monday and Terry shuttled us up to Carver's Gap. It worked out great and I knew my car was going to be safe when I got back to it. Give Terry and Mary a call and they will fix you up.

++ New Posts ++