WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

Thanks, Bronk. That is definitely an option I will consider.

About me referencing the "nay sayers" and "fanning the flames" and all that...I truly appreciate people's honesty about the reality of the trail. I do want opinions and suggestions, but I want opinions and suggestions about how to best plan and key aspects to consider, which people are giving. I don't, however, need anyone telling me I'm crazy or negligent to my child in some way. I knew when this idea first came to me that it sounded absurd. And since I haven't gotten anything off the ground yet, it still does. But it can be done and I appreciate those who give real, constructive advice, rather than sitting in my dad chair and telling me what I should and shouldn't do with my son.

Also, I forgot to address the comments a user made about my job. If you ask my former employer, it was not a good fit. But in all actuality, besides being late to work (and staying late at work to make up for it), their main issue was with performance. But, as I have told them, I don't feel they gave me the tools necessary to succeed. Do you have any idea what it is like at a CPA firm during tax season. I was hired in the middle of tax season, too late for the group training, given a quick crash course, and then left to my own knowledge. I did well, very well. I was just apparently not fast enough. But the point of my story is that it was 65+ hours a week, by myself. That few months was brutal. That's all I will say about my career. But I got both my Bachelor's and Master's degrees while caring for him as he was born while I was a sophomore in college. So please don't question my ability to cope with my problems and succeed in life. I've already done that and I prove it further each day. You're welcome to come try to do what I do daily if you want. You wouldn't make it.

Images

Adam,
    Please feel free to be angry at me if it helps push you in the right direction. I don't mind. You are 24 years old, with no job, no career, no plan for how you are going to provide for your family, and a child who will require your support financially, physically, and mentally, for the rest of his life. And your current focus is on . . . thru-hiking the AT. Sorry, but your priorities are simply not in order man.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

I'm not angry. If you knew me, you'd understand. My son has medicaid, always will as far as I know. I have a Master's degree, a job can be found at any time depending on what I'm willing to settle with. But I'm not one to settle. I have been considering law school in the future. I'd like to start a non-profit. Who knows? But I think you're assuming a bit too much if you think my entire focus and drive in life right now is hiking the AT. It is one of many options on the table for my son and I. If it sounds crazy...good. If you never have a crazy dream or ambition then I feel sorry for you. You are apparently not thinking big enough. You're either getting better or you're getting worse, you're never staying the same. I don't need any pity, my friend. So good luck to you, sir.

I have to strongly agree with 4eyedbuzzard in this respect. I tried to be less 'in your face', but buzzard is saying exactly how I feel about this ludicrous suggestion to thru-hike with the child.

I suggest instead of trying to thru-hike the trail with the special needs child, when you have no money at all, that you put your effort into finding a full time job. With you resources, you want everyone to give you the money to hike the trail as a 'donation', and you want people to help you all the way, giving their time and effort. With a masters I am sure you can find a job that provides health insurance to you and your child so you can get him off Medicaid. I do not like having to subsidize people who are medicaid when they do risky, foolish things.

I hope you intend to pay those people back that I talked about if you actually go through with this idea and get your book deal, and money from that deal.

Finally, I would like to simply say to the people encouraging this gentleman to do a thru-hike with his special needs child and giving him help and advice are being irresponsible at best, and if they give active help on the trail if this insane plan actually takes place, will have in fact some responsibility when the child is suffering or in fact passes away.

Thank you for your time all. God bless.

Having read this thread, I suspect that attempting this plan will result in a prosecution for child endangerment. If your son dies in the effort, I'd expect worse. If you try the preliminaries some have suggested, I'll bet you change your mind fast. I'm genuinely not trying to be negative, just realistic. Since no one has suggested it yet, I'll suggest you get support and counseling to help you meet your son's and your own needs.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Destiny2012,

Excuse me if I give more credence to what Dad believes is possible, than what you think. Special needs does not mean they need to hibernate in some sterile environment to keep them "safe". Safe for what? Allow them to live, if Dad is willing and thinks he can manage. I will surely help in any way I can.

You have 11 total posts, and 6 of them are here telling others what is and isn't possible. You have no authority to judge or to make proclamations about what will or won't happen, or to attempt to dictate other people's decisions. Express your concerns - fine. Lay blame - not so fine. Hopefully you will never be faced with making a difficult, potentially dangerous decision. I sense you would always play it safe. Very boring and unfulfilling way to go through life.

OK !! I have been following this thread and do not speak up very often. I am the one that suggested checking into some of the Grant a Wish programs for your child. This is something very positive and your child would not be at risk. I am not judging when I say you guys should not attempt this. With the right support and Professional assistance anything is possible. I agree with most on this site that after all research you will change your mind. Now, having said that, I have to refer back to your comments about getting away from the hustle and bustle of life and the ,,,I think you referenced Government B.S. I have to respond with this... your childs medicaid is from Government, how dare you consider that bull**** !! Good luck and please consider other wonderful promising activities for your child. God Bless and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Destiny2012,

Excuse me if I give more credence to what Dad believes is possible, than what you think. Special needs does not mean they need to hibernate in some sterile environment to keep them "safe". Safe for what? Allow them to live, if Dad is willing and thinks he can manage. I will surely help in any way I can.
    There are varrying degrees of "special needs". Some special needs kids can grow up to be self sufficent. Brodie is an extrem case of special needs. The only reason Dad thinks this is something he can do is because he apparently has never hiked on the AT. He has absolutely no clue what he would be getting into. Several of us have tried to tell him, but it hasn't sunk in. Without direct, personal experiance, I suppose its hard to belive that the AT can be so harsh, as many a wanta-be thru-hikers have discovered.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Dad has stated that he is in the early stages of considering this and is open to other possibilities. He has also stated that he will do some "practice hikes", and that he is pretty much resigned to doing section hikes if he does it at all. I'm sure that as he does more research and actually attempts some hikes reality may well set in. But to say he has no business even trying, sorry, don't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Dad has stated that he is in the early stages of considering this and is open to other possibilities. He has also stated that he will do some "practice hikes", and that he is pretty much resigned to doing section hikes if he does it at all. I'm sure that as he does more research and actually attempts some hikes reality may well set in. But to say he has no business even trying, sorry, don't buy it.
    that's because you don't already know everything about how everybody should live their lives, like they do.

Images

Ok going to chime in here.

My thought is GO FOR IT!!!!

You are in the best position to know what is possible and what is not possible. None of us are in that position.

One think I would like you to do. Remove the word CAN'T from your vocabulary. Reason being CAN'T means WON'T!!

Take every prudent precaution and just go for it. If you fail at least you tried and the both of you will be better for the attempt. But I am sure you BOTH will succeed.
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

Images

I appreciate all the support from everyone!

My biggest issue with the negativity isn't that concerning the difficulties of what I'm considering, that kind of feedback is welcome to a degree. I take offense to some of the personal attacks on my character, though. I have had private insurance for myself through my past employers, but never on my son. I depend on Medicaid, and likely will for a good long time until I have a fairly high level of income. My son's condition requires a good deal of medical attention obviously, which would result in the max out of pocket on any insurance I would get....every single year. Thousands upon thousands. I would live in poverty just to pay his medical costs. So, yes, I need that Medicaid, and just because I say "government BS" doesn't mean I don't appreciate those benefits. I appreciate every citizen paying taxes that allows for those benefits, truly I do. If you needed those benefits, you'd understand what I mean when I say the government BS. It's the bureaucracy that I hate, not the fact that we live in a country blessed enough to allow for such assistance to its people. I think we can all agree that the government is at best inefficient, and unfortunately to receive benefits I must do their dance. But please believe me when I tell you, I genuinely appreciate what we receive. In fact, sometimes I feel guilty when a doctor orders more for my son because I know I could never begin to repay the taxes it took to provide everything. And that's just medically, not to mention therapy, his food, and other things. I'm no deadbeat. I never wanted to use public assistance in any way. But I've worked hard, and I'll apologize to nobody for anything. I only apologize to my son for not being able to give him EVERYTHING he deserves. Yes, I'm asking for donations, from people or organizations. If you don't wish to contribute, I will not be upset. So why are you so enraged that I ask. Some people are very generous and would love to help. It's your decision, but either way it's not really fair to judge me.

With that said, Brodie and I camped in the backyard the other night and stayed out there the following day so I could get a feel for how it will be to do his meds and feedings without modern conveniences, and it went pretty well! Some fine tuning will make that no harder than it is in the house each day. Also, waiting on a child carrier that someone on here has generously mailed to me and I will be doing a day hike with Brodie as soon as that gets here!

We shall see what the future hold.
    God bless you all!

"There is a man who thinks he can, and a man who thinks he can't. They are both right."

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Adam,

You sound like a brave man. Only you know what your son is capable of. You obviously have a heart big enough for the both of you, and so the only thing that's left is financing, logistics, and test runs to make sure - before you're in the wilderness with no way out - that this is indeed as doable as you so desire.

I quite frankly agree with just about everything that's been said - sure, call me capricious. But we're not you, and you have your own destiny, as well as your son's to deal with.

“Then Jesus said to his disciples: ‘Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?’” (Luke 12:22-26, NIV)

Pray, pray, and pray some more, and take some time to listen.

I truly wish you and your blessed son the best of luck!
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Images

Thank you for that, F-Stop. That quote sums up everything my son has taught me. Every minute is a gift. Everything you need will be provided. If you don't get it, then you didn't need it. "Success" is relative, and it's all about the attitude you apply to your life. I appreciate you input. This whole thing will be slow going, but I'll post updates if you're curious to see how it progresses. Take care!

Slo-go...tell the blind, the deaf, the severly injured vets, the 88 year old guy.Is this a monumental goal, damn right. Adam wants an opportunity to spend what he feels is quality time.Adam....if there something I can help you with, ask. I live near Gatlinburg and Newfound gap. I would be honored to Merton you and your son!Doug
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    WHAT ARE YOU FRIGGEN NUTS OR WHAT!!!Carrying your son with serious medical problems on a 2200 mile thru-hike might sound like a nice romantic thing to do, but the reality is a nightmare which could easially kill the kid. Do you have any experiance at all with a long distance backpacking? I suspect not, because if you had, you would know that this idea is not plausable.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by adamkee11 View Post
    That child deserves a record.
    Just saw this thread. This statement caught my eye. "He deserves a record."

I have completed the AT twice, north and south. I may be one of the few women in my age group to have done this. But I don't ever think of it as a record. I view it in terms of what the journey itself has done to me and what I can then share with others so they also have a life changing journey, no matter how great or small.

But really this will never be your son's record. It's your record. It will only mean something to you as he will have little if any memory of it. You may get TV spots for it maybe, if its succeeds (and having done the AT twice, you truly have a HUGE uphill battle of monumental proportions to hike the whole trail. There are outright dangerous places on the AT I could never conceive carrying a child). Maybe a book perhaps.

But glory in this life is fleeting. At the end of the pomp and flair, what is left? I guess if the child was older - knew what the AT is about, loved the outdoors, being out there, the trail, always wanted to do, like a "Make a Wish" - then I could see a parent doing everything they can to make it work for that child, even if he suffers for it. But this child has no such comprehension. It is not his dream of glory, so to speak. It's yours.

I can say truthfully you don't need to obtain an AT record with him to make you or him feel worthy. What you are doing with him every single moment is a record in and of itself. And I believe in greater records to be had. I believe in greater things than this life here. And that is what I strive to achieve, no matter where I am or in what situation I am placed in, to look for that eternal reward, so to speak, and one that will never fade away as this life and all its records surely will.

But by all means take him on day hikes with you. Let him see the beauty. And give him a hug for me.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

New to the forum, but wanted to throw my .02 cents into your comment blissful. Im sure hes not doing this for a record, but a record would be something worth shooting for and thinking about each and evryday hes out on the trail. Something to strive for, and motivation to keep pushing on. But believe me, if this man and boy complete this trail with some kind of record, the boy WILL have his record. And he will remember it everyday he is alive. He will hold his head up high knowing he completed the A.T. while on his dads back. This things a 4 year old will remember forever.

Journal Entries
    Images

Wow, some thread.

I'm sure the Sir Edmund Hillary he was nuts for wanting to climb a mountain too. After 4 pages of posts, it sounds as tho Adam has a fairly level head. I'm completely inexperienced in even section hikes so my biggest concern with a thru hike for myself would be rain. We were lucky in that it only rained a little and only at night while in the tent. I did 4 days in Monongahela with my able bodied 16 yr old son. He was tired of it that quickly. I was planning 7 days but only did 4 since he was missing the PS3. At least Adam doesn't that to worry about.

Adam,
    I don't think my advice is worht even 2 cents but I'd suggest doing one of your weekend hike when the forecast is calling for some nasty rain. Or, as you've already done, just the backyard itself. It doesn't sound like you have any goals in doing the tradiational thru-hike nonstop kinda thing. If it rains on the trail, stay put. No point in slipping and sliding in the mud.

Just curious about the tubes. How much trouble are they going to be to keep clean? Is simple boiling good enough? Knock on wood, I don't know beans about all the stuff you have to deal with. Maybe you should list all of your child's special needs. Some random stupid question from someone else might lead to a better/easier way to do something. Or raise a potential road block that you wouldn't otherwise think of. The whole out-of-the-box thinking and another set of eyes kind of thing. Be it the canoe or a thru-hike, it's going to be pretty out-of-the-box anyway!!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++