WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default info on packs needed

Ok, I am probably beating a dead horse, but I am going to give it a try anyways. First thing, i have been reading several post from WB for the past six months about UL packs listening to others views and opinions on the packs (specifically ULA, MLD, SMD, and Goss Gear). I am leaving out Zpacks. (I think what they produce is great, but I am not ready for a semi disposable pack---and I don't mean to step on anyone's toes if I have).

Currently I have a Large Osprey Atmos 65 (I am 6'1" @ 190lbs 34"waist). Nice pack, especially when the wife is going. But for me on a 3 day solo, It is too much pack. I literally have every strap tightened all the way down. I have cut my base weight down to 9.0 lbs (without the weight of the pack). With my Atmos and small weight/volume everything shifts down to the bottom, consequently giving the feeling of having a few bowling balls stuck on the top of my rear end. I haven't tried not putting the sleeping bag in a stuff sack (leaving it out of a stuff, so it takes up more volume), and I may try that in the future. I also plan on taking everything I have to the store to see what volume bag at minimum I can get away with. I am thinking I can surely get into a 30 L but I will wait to see.

Currently some Items that are included in my base weight are;
    Neo Air Large
    Thermarest Pillow medium
    M. Hardware bag (35*f, Long)
    **Unfortunately, I don't plan on taking these out. Luxury or not, there is nothing like a good sleep on the trail and waking up FEELING like I slept. I don't plan on changing that

So to the current questions:
    I would really like to hear from folks who have experienced both (with or without, brand vs brand, big volume vs small volume, etc)

1-Hoops/stays vs none?

2-Sleep pad pocket inside or outside? Maybe a stupid question with the neo, on the outside, but a sit-lite pad on the outside could be added, or if a 1/8" EVA pad could be used here, I currently use one of those. If you use a neo air, where do you put it in our pack? I normally roll mine up and cover it with an extra shirt.

3-Looking at these brands and particular models:
    ULA Ohm
    ULA CDT
    GG Mariposa
    GG Gorilla
    MLD Prophet
    MLD Burn
    SMD Swift

If you have had a couple of these packs and could do a little comparison , that would be awesome!

The volumes/weights of the packs are biggest/heaviest from top to bottom (for the most part). The prices of the packs are roughly the same (except for the CDT and Swift). I would prefer to have hipbelt pockets, i just like them. and I realize that Hip belt pockets are an option ($38) to the MLD, which will put this pack at the highest $$ pack.

I do like that fact that the MLD can be compressed down to a 1200 cubic in (19 L). That is pretty neat.
    I do like the compression of the OHM, it is like making a nice little dense brick on your back. that has to be nice.
    I like to optional wing belt for the SMD totaling 120 ci.

Sorry for such a long post, I was trying to give as much info as I can to hopefully receive the best HELPFUL information I can.

Images

I prefer to have some sort of minimalist frame to help transfer weight to the hips, and provide some structure to the pack. I've used several frameless rucks, and keep going back to a very light framed pack.

Right now I own a ULA Ohm and a Circuit. I expect the Ohm would be a pretty good choice - that'll give you a 10.5 pound base weight with the pack. The Ohm is a well designed and well made pack, and the hoop frame provides enough structural support for a <25 pound load. (I had 30 in it when my wife got sick on the trail and I took her food bag. I definitely noticed the extra weight.) The two huge side pockets are easily accessible while wearing the pack, and the stretchy front pocket will hold far more than it looks. Overall the capacity is just about perfect for a very light or UL load.

Good luck.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Working on Forestry Grad schol

Just a thought--Osprey's newer lines are pretty light. The osprey hornet 32L is 21 oz, and the Talon 34 is just under 2 pounds. I doubt that they're as good as the ULAs, but it's an option to put up on the board.

having a base weight of around 10 pounds is going to make the lightest packs a poor choice for you.

I've never met a person who was unhappy with a ULA product (althought I'm sure that they exist). They should probably be your safe, default choice. I own a ULA pack, and it's great. It's just way too big for me, but any time a friend backpacks with me they get to use it.

I've never really liked the design or pricing of the GG packs enough to be interested in them.

The MLD stuff looks nice and the people that own them seem to enjoy the pack.

Images

Just my 2cents worth. I bought this pack on close out from Granite Gear it is frame less & only 19oz. comes in the Long size only. I have not had a chance to use it yet to darn hot in Florida now.

Mike (Mr. Mean)

http://www.granitegearstore.com/Virg...--P215C27.aspx

I think the MLD Burn may be too small and lightweight for your load.

Images

Buy the ULA OHM and enjoy it...

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafter c View Post
    I am leaving out Zpacks. (I think what they produce is great, but I am not ready for a semi disposable pack---and I don't mean to step on anyone's toes if I have).

Not at all - I agree with you, which is why I'm going to get a ZPack in the Dyneema thread - holds up considerably longer, and I'm only taking a 5 oz. penalty for it!
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Hike smarter, not harder.

I've got a few frameless packs, but I've just never gotten that fond of it. For a weekend trip, I'll grab my Gossamer Gear Gorilla more often than anything else, although I let my son use it, and may not get it back. Can't comment on the ULA Ohm, it's the only ULA pack I don't own.

I do like it that your packs listed are all made in the USA, by guys with incredible customer service. Pretty hard to go wrong, if the fit is right.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by mmais68569 View Post
    Just my 2cents worth. I bought this pack on close out from Granite Gear it is frame less & only 19oz. comes in the Long size only. I have not had a chance to use it yet to darn hot in Florida now.

Mike (Mr. Mean)

http://www.granitegearstore.com/Virg...--P215C27.aspx
    I just ordered the Virga. I had been waivering back and forth between the GoLite Jam and the ULA Ohm. The price on the Virga was too good to pass up. Thanks for the tip!

Journal Entries

I would have a base weight of about 7-8 lbs INCLUDING the pack before even considering a frameless pack, or a pack with minimal or no hip belt. A light framed pack will be more comfortable at all weights than a frameless pack. What is your goal, to be comfortable or to say "my pack weighs "x" lb? Volume can be taken care of by not stuffing the sleeping bag (which is better for it), put everything inside instead of using outer pockets, etc.

Thanks for all the responses. It has been a few days since I have been able to get back with any response. I ordered the OHM last week and it will arrive hopefully by this Friday. Thanks again!!

++ New Posts ++