WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Default Boots for Western Afghanistan?

No kidding. One of my old boy scouts in the military is asking me for a recommendation.

Hi. I have read that both these boots are being used in AFG with good success by our men and women: Lowa Zephyr Desert Mid and Asolo Moran GTX. Make sure your friend double-checks that either these (or any non-issue boot) will receive authorization for use before he purchases.

http://www.rei.com/product/796120/lo...ing-boots-mens
    http://www.backcountry.com/asolo-mor...king-boot-mens

I have always used Danner's. Light weight, breatheable, and feels like tennis shoes. They aren't as durable as they once were though.

For Afghanistan they issue really nice mountain boots, is he not getting a pair of those? They take a week or so to break in but they're pretty sweet.

Images

I second the Danners. They are a good boot for that environment. I liked the Danner Desert Acadia Boot. I bought these before deployment, broke them in and rotated them with those that were issued. The Acadia is heavier and bigger than the Combat Hiker, but in my opinion more durable and provide better support when humping a load.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

If going for Asolo, I would suggest sierratradingpost.com Got my $250 pair of boots for $94.

Images

The Danner Combat Hiker was developed specifically for use by the army in Afghanistan.

http://www.danner.com/boots/dannerr-...ary-boots.html
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I spent the better part of 8 years in Afghanistan and found I like the Bellville desert model 310 to be the best boot ever IMO. I went through quite a few boots from many different brands including the danner combat hiker, and once i tried these i never wanted anything else. The 310 is basically a trail runner crossed with a combat boot. Superb ventilation, leight weight, tough, and great traction. They are also much cheaper than other boots such as the danner. They are also approved for wear with the uniform by all branches, this is a big thing to consider because it depends on your commander if they will let you wear something that is not.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

++ New Posts ++