WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by darkage View Post
    try 309 to DWG ... thats my main local section ... real trail runner shredder's ... but i like the rock hoping ... keeps me agile.
    I remember a pretty good german resturant on 309 at the AT crossing
    Chris

Hiking is like a shower......a couple of wrong turns can get you in hot water

Images

a few years ago in SNP on a hike with my dad- crossed right over it. still haven't hiked the AT outside of SNP but that'll be changing this summer =D
    "Mr. Franz I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one."

For me it was June 1975 or '76. It was as a result of working on a project with Brad Washburn and my uncle to map the presidential range of NH. I had hiked up Mt Washington and hiked over to the Madison hut. I stayed at the Madison Hut one night and a thru hiker came in. I was just a 12 or 13 yr old kid, but listening to his stories of his hike were an adventure that I will never forget.

Now many years later, I got back into hiking 4 years ago and over the past 3 years I have completed the NH leg of the AT. Looking to hike the GA section in September and the Vermont Long Trail next year.

SNP in '85, talked to a thru hiker named Hippie Rich at Big Meadows..and I just knew........

I was riding the VA Creeper Trail from White Top to Damascus. That was my first encounter with the AT. I plan on a thru hike in 2013 for my 40th bday. It's amazing how some things occupy your mind and obsess your thoughts.

Keep on walking!

Images

Ha!I'm a late bloomer. Walked 100 yards on a trip to VA in 2005...been obsessed ever since.!

That would be on the north side of Baldpate Mt. what are the cataract falls, now rerouted, W Andover, or Surplus TWP, Maine in 1963. We used to swim and fish at the base. Always wondered where this trail went, now I know. I'm sure the falls will be cranking today, after Irene. Be headed up to little bigelow for a few days now.

In the Spring of 1980 I was dropped off outside of Narrows, Virginia, where the AT crosses Rt 460. I walked up the mountain and spent my first day cruising the ridgeline that seperates Virginia and West Virginia. After a week I came out of the mountains and things have gone downhill since.

Journal Entries
    Images

Don't remember. My guess would be Rte 23 in Great Barrington, Ma. 1970. First time I ever developed a concept about thru hikers was meeting some while fishing around Millinockett, Maine around 1976. Sporty crew gave them a ride to a backcountry store and back. Got the bug on the spot.

Occasionally lucid

Mt. Lafayette in August 1972. May have asended via Falling Waters Trail and Franconia Ridge Trail but would have intersected the AT at the summit no matter the route. I had no idea what the AT was at the time.

First sentient AT hike was a five day hike organized by some teachers when I was a junior or senior in high school. Covered a section in NJ/NY but I don't remember the start or finish points.
    GA -> ME
    '86 -> '89

Images

As part of Wright State University's Geology field camp back in 1984, we took a trip up to Whitetop Mountain to study rocks. The temperature in the lowlands that day was in the low 90s & it was hazy/muggy. When we reached Whtietop, the temps were in the mid 70s and it was crystal clear..... took my breath away. I took a few steps on the AT that day & dreamed about walking the whole thing someday. 24 section hikes & 1375 miles later, it's still a dream of mine.

I was about 10, My parents were car camping at Big Meadow in Shanadoah Nat. Park. This was about 50 years ago in 1961, I was wandering onto the trair a real rooty section as the Shanadoh,s are noted for when three goddesses amazons actually, the most beautifule blond haired girls right out of college walking NOBO with about 50 lbs on their backs. Please note that this was before modern light weight equipment opened the trail to the present day crowds. These girls had the most beautiful legs in the world all muscle. I asked them where they came from, and they repried Springer Mtn. GA, then I asked where are they going and they all replied to Katadin Maine. From that day forward, thru hiking the AT was put on my bucket list, I was smittened.

Longshot

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    I was about 10, My parents were car camping at Big Meadow in Shanadoah Nat. Park. This was about 50 years ago in 1961, I was wandering onto the trail a real rooty section as the Shanadoh,s are noted for when three goddesses amazons actually, the most beautiful blond haired girls, right out of college, walking NOBO with about 50 lbs on their backs. Please note that this was before modern light weight equipment opened the trail to the present day crowds. These girls had the most beautiful legs in the world all muscle. I asked them where they came from, and they replied Springer Mtn. GA, then I asked where are they going and they all replied to Katadin Maine. From that day forward, thru hiking the AT was put on my bucket list, I was smittened.

Longshot
    Sorry about the spelling I kind of got caught up in the moment.

Went down last summer to start at Springer with my daughter. The night before we were driving around enjoying the views and ended up at Walasi-Yi (Mountain Crossings). Decided to get out of the car for a nice stretch and walked over to the arch to read a few of the notices. There was one notice about increased bear activity that really got my daughters attention (but I digress). As I turned around caught a glimpse of the white blaze across the street and than recall that the arch is part of the App. Trail. Ironically my first steps on this wonderful path of nature were under a man made structure.

Images

1976...Catoctin Mountains during Cross Country training in high school. So much more fun to hike then run the AT.

26th wedding anniversary. October "walk" in MA from Rt 20 to top of Beckett Mountain. Got hooked. Hoping to thru hike for 30th anniversary in two years.

Registered User Virginia Archer's Avatar

Would have to say the first time was with my Mother and step dad when I was about 10 going up Humpback Rock in Virginia. Have hiked about 30 miles of it with the scouts and with my wife, before she was my wife!

Images

yea, I don't remember either....

Panzer

My Great Grandmother was born on the trail. They actually had to move her homestead to put the trail through. It is still standing about a quarter-mile off the trail. Our family graveyard is less than 50 feet off the trail. I was not born there, but I may end up there.

Images

Ahh... great question. Definitely feeling like the newbie that I am...60"s and 70's....I wish!
    MTS - over and over but the AT = 2011 Officially - Stecoah Gap & hooked ever since!
    With Love Anything Is Possible!

Lovin' Life

~Tara

Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++