WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default What are the "not to be missed" hikes in Zion and Bryce National Parks?

I’ve done a bit of online researching, but this forum has never steered me wrong so I thought I’d pose the question here.

I’ve got 5 days in September to spend in Zion and or Bryce. I have never been there before. I know I will do the Zion Narrows hike. What other hikes in these parks would you say are not to be missed?

I’m not worried about doing a challenging hike, but I won’t be doing anything that involves heavy climbing, repelling etc. Just looking for hikes with some incredible scenery. Can be day hikes or overnight backpacks.

Thanks!

Section Hiker, 625 miles & counting mooseboy's Avatar
    Images

Angels Landing in Zion is a must!
    --There is always more uphill.

We were there last year, you got the two choices for Zion, rent shoes, and hiking staff for the Narrows, shoes were grippy on the rocks, staff for balance. Start off Narrows hike early as possible, fleece jacket and hat, bring day pack. Angels is great if you are not height phobic. Last climb involves some narrow sections with drop offs, not dangerous, it is well chained, worth the effort. Also easy hike is the "pools", cant remember the name exactly, but upper and lower, right at bus stop, easy 2 hour job. Leaving zion toward Bryce, there is trail right at entrance/exit, again can't remember name, small parking lot, easy nice like one mile walk to overlook, worth a stop and do. Bryce, get down into the canyon, there are a number of trails that either go down and up to same spot, or you can walk from one location to the other, then get on shuttle system to get back to your car. That is what we did, couple different places. Bring lots of water both places, two parks more or less 100% opposite of each other, hiking wise. Zion, everything except narrows, is up at beginning, down at end. Bryce exactly the opposite. Enjoy.

Also, if you go to BWCA.com, I filed a trip report there, it is titled "Southern Utah wander and big wonderful land", you can see some of the stuff we did, filed under trip reports.

IMO, Bryce is like a 2 day at most park, looking at it in different lights, morning and evening is cool, because it looks very different. There is also some cool stuff close to bryce in my trip report, the day at Kodachrome park, grosvenor arch, etc, if you look it up. That stuff is very close to Bryce.

In Bryce you can do several short loops through the hoodoos or a longer one. We did both. I really enjoyed the 8 mile Fairyland loop because it got fewer people than the shorter hikes but has all the beautiful scenery. At Zion there are a lot of short hikes that can be strung together as well as a few full day hikes. Angels Landing is fun, but crowded. There were fewer people on the Observation Point Trail, but the view is basically the same - spectacular. I second the recommendation of Kodachrome SP. Calf Creek Falls is an easy hike and beautiful and the highway to it is a beautiful drive.

Thanks for the input! Looks like I'll put the Narrows and Angel's Landing on the Zion agenda for sure, and have Emerald pools and Observation Point Trail open as possibilities. I'll do the Fairyland Loop at Bryce and look more into Kodachrome State Park. it is going to be an awesome trip.

At the risk of hijacking my own thread, how essential is renting shoes and a hiking staff for the Narrows? I had hoped to wear Neoprene socks, and old pair of hiking shoes, and use my trekking poles. Bad idea?

Spend one day at Bryce. It's all the SAME.

The rest of them at ZION, esp Observation Point!!!
    Enjoy...

If you read my trip report, regarding shoes and staff, my .02 would be that they are very valuable to rent if the water level is high. Low/lower water level, maybe not needed. The rocks are slippery, so if your hiking shoes are hard soles, they may not be good, too slippery. The shoes are made to be in that environment, and drain well. And a staff vs. pole, the advantage of the staff is it is so stiff, you can put your whole body weight against it, and no breakage, wheras if you slip and lean a lot of weight on one hiking pole, trouble could ensue. You can make it work, with your stuff, I would be more worried about the grip of the shoes than the poles/staff. We saw more people using tennis style shoes than hiking style shoes. For both the Narrows and Angels, especially Angels, get there ASAP in the morning, as soon as the shuttles start. IMO, the drive starting at Kodachrome, walk around Kodachrome, going down to the grosvenor arch, and Willis Creek were really nice.

The Narrows from Chamberlain Ranch. Hike in the summer in to fall, not spring due to run off and water levels.

Lot of other good hikes in and near the park;

Journal Entries
    Images

I have a large poster on Angel's Landing purchased from the park hanging in my study. The reaction from everyone who sees it is always the same; complete fasination. I admire it every day. What a memory!

The West Rim Trail with the dangerous but excellent side trip up Angel's Landing has the best views in the park. Wading the narrows is cool if you rent the right gear from the local outfitters. My favorite is a traverse across the park from the west side to the east side (4 day trip for most in decent shape).

Bryce Canyon is a favorite of mine and you can literally hike all the trails in a few days. An overnight of the Under the Rim Trail through the southern part of the park is my favorite though any of the trails in the northern half have incredible views of very colorful canyons. All the hiking is easy as the elevation changes are on the order of a few hundred feet.

utah 025.jpgbeginning of narrowsutah 049.jpgTop of angels landingutah 088.jpgGrosvenor archutah 125.jpgWillis creekutah 114.jpg

++ New Posts ++