WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Ga.------>Me. ~2012~ pdcollins6092's Avatar

Default What towns are near Amicalola Falls.

What towns are close to the approach trail at Amicalola Falls. I am going to be doing a thru hike starting March 1st. and my mom and aunt are going to be taking me up to the start. I am trying to find somewhere close that has hotels so we can get a room for the night before I start.

Blairsville, Ellijay are a couple towns nearby, but Dahlonega, GA is my favorite town close to Amicalola Falls State Park. It's a fairly short drive from the park, as I recall its 15-20 minute drive on Hwy-52.

There are several motels in Dahlonega, but the Super 8 is my favorite for location and price, it's right next to the McDonalds on Moutain Drive. There's also a Days Inn close to the Super 8. You could also stay at the Lodge at Amicalola Falls State Park, it's got a super buffet for breakfast and is right on the approach trail.

Images

There is a really nice lodge at the falls in the park real near the start. I camped there this summer great buffets in the lodge restaurant with a beautiful view.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

+1 on the Lodge at the park.

Images

I stayed in the Super 8 in Dawsonville. There is a Waffle house that is open 24 hours right outside the motel. I think it is 25 minutes to the entrance to the park. Obviously the Park Lodge is the most convienent but it is pricey at about $135 a night and about $8 for the breakfast buffet which opens about 7:30 AM IIRC.

Journal Entries
    Images

+2 on the lodge. It is at the top of the falls and about 300 yards past where the Approach Trail crosses the road. Awesome sunset views on the back deck in the Adirondack chairs. They have a great dinner (for the night before) and breakfast (for the morning of your start) buffet. The rooms are nice too! Check out my pics from May 20105. Deck Facing South.JPG6. Deck Chairs.JPG7. From the Deck to My Window.JPG8. Leaving the Lodge.JPG

++ New Posts ++