WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Loading Frameless Pack

I just got my Granite Gear Virga in the mail yesterday and I only have 2 weeks before Labor Day Weekend to figure out how to load it. I plan on using my Thermarest Z-lite pad as a "frame" and then loading the rest of my stuff around it. My total pack weight will probably be just under the 20 lb recommended max for the 3 day trip.

My question is what shape should I fold my pad into? Is it best flat, "U" shape, or should a try to make a full circle?

I've tried to search for pictures or video but haven't had much luck. Any ideas, tips, or suggestions (other than buy a different pack) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Images

Is it a full-length pad? I couldn't fit a full-length Zrest in my pack, but a 3/4 works fine. Fold it up, then unfold it in the middle so it's two even stacks. Then put that against the inside of the pack that touches your back. Hope that makes sense.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Hey Ktaadn. I just bought an REI Flash 18 daypack. It is also frameless. I plan to cut my thermarest zlight short in half and lay it inside FLAT. May have to do some trimming, but thats my plan. HTH. I've heard magazines work well too.
    skinny d

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    I just got my Granite Gear Virga in the mail yesterday and I only have 2 weeks before Labor Day Weekend to figure out how to load it. I plan on using my Thermarest Z-lite pad as a "frame" and then loading the rest of my stuff around it. My total pack weight will probably be just under the 20 lb recommended max for the 3 day trip.

My question is what shape should I fold my pad into? Is it best flat, "U" shape, or should a try to make a full circle?

I've tried to search for pictures or video but haven't had much luck. Any ideas, tips, or suggestions (other than buy a different pack) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    I've used a blue CCF pads--3/4 length pad and a 20 in x 20 in pad (used for the feet in a hammock) in my Virga. For the 3/4 length, I wrap it in a circle and then fill in the hole with my other gear. For the small pad, placed it against the back panel and loaded everything up. There wasn't really any other way to do it with the small pad. The 3/4 pad worked great in a circle. It's my understanding that some tests were done and that folding the z-lite up and placed against the back panel offers better support. Since you are sort of maxing the weight on the Virga (20-22 lbs, I believe is where most people start feeling the weight), I'd go for folding it up instead of the circular style. I hope this helps you.

SoCal Mike

Images

I like my pad flat against the back. With a Z-lite, you'll be frusturated trying to pack it in any other way.

Also, Z-Lite pads get flattened very fast, in my experience. When yours does, I suggest getting a Gossamer Gear Nightlight torso pad. They hold up very well!
    IAT '03, AT '04, PCT '06, CDT '07, CT '08, PCT '09, AT '10, CDT '12, AZT and PCT '13

++ New Posts ++