WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Jennifer Pharr Davis Goes Far in Setting the Appalachian Trail's Supported ... - Snow

Snowshoe Magazine

Jennifer Pharr Davis Goes Far in Setting the Appalachian Trail's Supported ...
    Snowshoe Magazine
    On July 31, Jennifer became the fastest person to travel the 2181-mile distance of the Appalachian Trail through the eastern United States. She traveled close to 47 miles each day, every day, finishing the distance in 46 days, 11 hours, and 20 minutes. ...

More...

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

She's a Goddess amongst men huh? 46 days? drool
    -Jason

"Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

there is no way I could have done that. Too old, fat and slow but that's just the way I roll......

Good Job Jennifer
    ---Where ever you go
    There you are---

Did she actually do 2,181 miles? As far as I could tell from her husband's travel journal on her website, she skipped the Northern Presidentials in the Whites. This short-cut alone would save about 10 miles and quite a bit of elevation gain. There are also plenty of other blue-blaze shortcuts one can take, though of a smaller scale.

Quote Originally Posted by nehiker View Post
    Did she actually do 2,181 miles? As far as I could tell from her husband's travel journal on her website, she skipped the Northern Presidentials in the Whites. This short-cut alone would save about 10 miles and quite a bit of elevation gain. There are also plenty of other blue-blaze shortcuts one can take, though of a smaller scale.
    Generally anyone attempting a record doesn't take blue blazes or short cuts. If she skipped the northern Presidentials it would have been mentioned long ago. Have a link or cut and paste?

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Generally anyone attempting a record doesn't take blue blazes or short cuts. If she skipped the northern Presidentials it would have been mentioned long ago. Have a link or cut and paste?
    http://jenniferpharrdavis.tumblr.com/page/5 Day 8

Now looking at this again, perhaps she did do the Northern Presidentials. I was a bit puzzled by the description, since there is no mention of Madison Hut. Plus where on the ridge just north of Mt. Washington could she have camped in such weather, with little shelter presumably? It took her about 3.5 hours to cover the 9.5 miles from Zeta Pass to Pinkham Notch; this would of course be a great time for most people, but relatively speaking there is not much elevation gain there. Then she apparently covered the Northern Presidentials at a similar pace, some of the time in the dark, and presumably on slippery rocks in wind-driven rain. On the other hand, if she had skipped the Northern Presidentials, she would have done only a few (hard) miles after 3:30pm; unless, they did not want to attempt crossing the plateau to the Lake of Clouds Hut in bad weather and then spent a long time looking for a place to camp below tree line, this does not make sense either.

Unfortunately, this journal is not very detailed and does not even state the starting and ending points each day. So, I was not sure what to make of it.

++ New Posts ++