WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    AT 2012

Default lightest rational trail runners

I'd like to try superfeet in the lightest trail runners that'll work -- I'm thinking I can depend on the superfeet for sole comfort and protection. Goes without saying -- my pack is light. Anybody have a really light trail runner that they'd recommend? All this talk about barefoot running has my wondering about moving a tad closer in that direction.
    Lazarus

I'm slowly creeping towards minimalist footwear myself. My footwear philosophy is to go with a light shoe first, then ultralight after I've adjusted to a less cushioned sole. I bought some Salomon XR Crossmax's about a month ago that come in at 11-12oz per shoe. They are about six ounces lighter per shoe than my old Salomon Ultra GTXs, but still have a good bit of cushioning. I have had terrific luck with Salomon's as far as comfort and fit...in other words, no blisters. Once I get these well worn my next shoe will be a lighter set of Salomon's or some Inov-8's. Inov-8s have a pretty big following amongst the UL trail runner crowd.

For reference, my base weight is 6 lbs.

Ryan

I read the book, thought I'd like to try it (lightweight or, almost barefoot running) BUT, I wasn't about to go pay $100 to try it.
    So.................I went to a shoestore I know that has a HUGE selection of running shoes.
    I ended up buying some Pumas that are a lot like these
    I
    'm now on my 2nd pair and I love them.
    I chose them because they were the lightest pair of shoes in the store.
    I wore a pair out after about 300 miles of running. ???
    Now, whenever I wear my old trail runners (Montrail) I immedietly notice a big difference and they feel like lumps of lead on my feet.

I believe mine were a discontinued model or something because they were only $20 a pair.
    Good luck in your search.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

AT 2012

so -- how many miles do you do with these?
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    I'd like to try superfeet in the lightest trail runners that'll work -- I'm thinking I can depend on the superfeet for sole comfort and protection. Goes without saying -- my pack is light. Anybody have a really light trail runner that they'd recommend? All this talk about barefoot running has my wondering about moving a tad closer in that direction.
    I've used superfeet in a pair of crocs. That's probably not quite what you were asking for.

I regularly hike/backpack now in Chaco sandals. They are not light in weight but they provide freedom for my toes and so give me a feeling of lightness just because of that freedom.

I've backpacked in New Balance MT100s. They feel a little too soft and squishy underfoot to me after a while. I don't know if the Minimus or the Trail Gloves are similar to these. Those are probably better and I'm betting they'd be just what you are looking for.

I've backpacked in my own homemade shoes that basically had about 10mm of rubber soling. Worked fine in the cooler months but on a day hike a few weeks ago I burned my feet on the hot dirt of the trail. That could be something to consider with thinner shoes, if you hike in hot climates.

I hiked yesterday in a pair of those Invisible Shoes. You can't get much more minimal than that. I hiked about 3 miles. I think on future backpacks I might bring them and spend a portion of the time hiking in them. They are kind of fun to wear, feeling so totally almost barefoot, but I don't think I could do a real long distance in them. It's kind of exhausting to watch where you step so much.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Garlic
    Images

The NB 8XXMT series has been a good one for me. I started using Superfeet in them a few seasons ago. I find I get 600 to 700 miles from the shoes, and over 2500 miles from the Superfeet. I don't swear by the Superfeet, but they don't hurt and they last a long time. If I'm going to be doing some roadwalking in older shoes, I'll also carry a pair of Spenco inserts for more cushioning. That's a cheap way to get more miles out of the shoes.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Working on Forestry Grad schol

I'm new with the barefoot hiking. most i've done in a day that was a part of a longer trip is 25.

Running 4-5 miles most days on pavement in them.

hiking 10-15 miles day after day in them is comfortable now.

I'm hoping that all of those mileages increase as my feet get stronger.

I've had a lot of success with Inov-8 (I use the Roclite, but they make may models that are much lighter). I use the green superfeet. Your challenge will be to find a retailer to try them out.

Quote Originally Posted by frisbeefreek View Post
    I've had a lot of success with Inov-8 (I use the Roclite, but they make may models that are much lighter). I use the green superfeet. Your challenge will be to find a retailer to try them out.
    +1 for Inov-8 Their website does a great job detailing which models are available at which local stores. See reviews on sectionhiker.com.

For New England backpacking, I have been using
    Salomon Techamphibian 2 Water Shoes with blue superfeet and a light weight wool sock liner. This set-up allows me truck right through all water crossings without bothering with rock hops. My sock liners dry out as I continue walking. I expect this set-up to be ok until mid to late September.

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    The NB 8XXMT series has been a good one for me. I started using Superfeet in them a few seasons ago. I find I get 600 to 700 miles from the shoes, and over 2500 miles from the Superfeet. I don't swear by the Superfeet, but they don't hurt and they last a long time. If I'm going to be doing some roadwalking in older shoes, I'll also carry a pair of Spenco inserts for more cushioning. That's a cheap way to get more miles out of the shoes.

Well, I've never gone wrong following your advice, Garlic... I just ordered a pair of New Balance MT 101's. Will try them without superfeet... and will try Inov8's next if...
    THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR HELP.
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    Well, I've never gone wrong following your advice, Garlic... I just ordered a pair of New Balance MT 101's. Will try them without superfeet... and will try Inov8's next if...
    THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR HELP.
    Garlic and I have had great luck with the 806 NB trailrunners. I personally have no experience with the MT 101s. Please report back your experience with them.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Garlic and I have had great luck with the 806 NB trailrunners. I personally have no experience with the MT 101s. Please report back your experience with them.
    will do!!!
    Lazarus

I have several pairs of the MT101s
    So far I've liked them. They seem to be a good transition from a more traditional running shoe. I think there is a new version on the way.
    All the Inov8s I've tried seem too narrow.

I'm 45 miles from Katahdin. I've done the entire trip with 3 pairs of WT 101's (womens version of the MT) and 1 pair of blue superfeet. A little slippery on rocks. The mesh rips out before the sole wears out. Overall I've been very happy with them though.

Quote Originally Posted by obscura View Post
    I'm 45 miles from Katahdin. I've done the entire trip with 3 pairs of WT 101's (womens version of the MT) and 1 pair of blue superfeet. A little slippery on rocks. The mesh rips out before the sole wears out. Overall I've been very happy with them though.
    Yeah grip and ripping mesh are the two most common complaints I've heard.

I'll agree the grip isn't great. I haven't experienced the wear yet since I have a four pair rotation going.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

I want someone to point out some good irrational trail runners. They sound like more fun.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    I want someone to point out some good irrational trail runners. They sound like more fun.
    That would be the New Balance MT √2
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by aaronthebugbuffet View Post
    Yeah grip and ripping mesh are the two most common complaints I've heard.

I'll agree the grip isn't great. I haven't experienced the wear yet since I have a four pair rotation going.
    will you keep on using superfeet in your 101's?
    Lazarus

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by obscura View Post
    sorry - meant to ask obscura if she'll keep on using superfeet... great name, by the way.
    Lazarus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++