WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Eagle Scouts

Images

Default Eagle Scouts

I'm sure a lot of you on here are Eagle Scouts. I just found out that my Nephews' Ceremony is this weekend. My mom wants me to take her to the Boy Scout store in our area on Wednesday to get him a gift. My question is what type of gift is appropriate? What would you have appreciated/ cherished as a gift when you became an Eagle Scout?
    Thanks for your help/suggestions.
    P.S. He is my only Nephew and the only person in our family to even be in the Scouts, so this is really special.
    Seek, and you shall find.

I do not recall receiving gifts when I achieved Eagle. Either I didn't get any or they weren't memorable. I do still have 2 gifts from before I reached Eagle. One is the compass I received from my uncle.
    silva_hunt1.jpg

The other is a swiss army knife from my father. Both still go with me on every trip.

Not sure if this helps.

Images

Thanks russb.
    Maybe people don't give gifts for this, but my family is very small and we are very close, so we like to give gifts for special happenings.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

How about a t-shirt that reads, "I made Eagle Scout and all I got was this lousy t-shirt".
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

YES people do give gifts for this. This is a great accomplishment and one all involved should be very proud of. There are many distractions from 11 years old to 18yrs, girls and cars to mention a few it shows dedication, commitment and pride in oneself. As a Scoutmaster I gave a nice eagle commemorative pocket knife, something they'll keep forever or till they loose it. I'm a BSA Ranger in Western MA. Be sure to congratulate you're eagle scout for me.

Images

Congratulations to your entire family. Achieving Eagle invariably requires a family effort.

I never made it that far, but I'd like to have a good suggestion to send your way. Maybe you could take your nephew somewhere to see a Bald Eagle in its native habitat.

One of my fraternity brothers from Ohio worked on the recovery program there.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Sometimes personal accomplishment is it's own gift (a lesson we don't teach children enough). I didn't get any gifts, but even back then, I wouldn't have wanted anything from the Boy Scout store. Take him to a gear store and let him pick something nice, as long as he promises not to stop going outdoors because he's finished!
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Sometimes personal accomplishment is it's own gift (a lesson we don't teach children enough). I didn't get any gifts, but even back then, I wouldn't have wanted anything from the Boy Scout store. Take him to a gear store and let him pick something nice, as long as he promises not to stop going outdoors because he's finished!
    Zachary is not the type to expect any gift. He is a very shy and very polite young man.
    My mom is 70 and wants to get him a gift from the Boy Scout store so I'm going to take her so she can do what she wishes. It is her only grandson.

Emerald,
    We are very fortunate here in Cincinnati to have a pair of Bald Eagles at our zoo, so Zachary has had the experience of seeing them.

Thanks to all who posted. As I mentioned to canoehead in a PM, I am going to write Zach a letter and let him know what a positive impact he has made in my life as I have watched him grow into a young man.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I like the suggested to take him to an outfitter and pick out an item he would like - if he is an outdoors type. I also like getting something engraved to commemorate.
    Congratulations

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Gifts? Gifts were NOT given when either my brother or I made Eagle, back in the early 1960s.

Images

When I made Eagle, I was given a good amount of various outdoor gear along with other things. I still have my Eagle Scout coin that was given to me.
    Trailstop.com has a lot of scouting based gifts.

Eagle Scout Nickel

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." ~Robert Louis Stevenson
    AT thru-hike in planning - Class of 2012

When my sons made Eagle my oldest cousin , also an Eagle Scout gave them each an Eagle Badge that had belonged to him or my deceased Uncle, also an Eagle and long time scoutmaster. These two men, Bill and Uncle Wesley were almost "legends"in our council for their dedication and work with the council. Bill alsogave my older son, who was also OA, Uncle Wesley's OA badge , the first one made for the council in the early 40's. Very meaningful gifts. I gave them each a small statue of an eagle and a blanket that said " Once and Eagle Always an Eagle".

While I agree a gift is not necessary, ideas if you are giving: 1. brass paper weight sold at the Boy Scout store: "Once an Eagle, always an Eagle" 2. Eagle Silver dollar (as in real silver). My 25 year old son cherishes both of these items that he received as a 17 y/o when he earned Eagle rank.

Journal Entries

My son is a scout, and I am an assistant scoutmaster, but I dont expect my son to make eagle. Its not important to him. He is in scouting for the high adventure activities, nothing else. He plays sports, and does not have the motivation to make time to complete the necessary merit badges. That is OK with me too, he will get what he wants out of scouting, not what someone else wants him to do, and that is what is important.

I would make any gift be something that cannot be outgrown, worn out, broken, or out-dated, etc. Some long-lasting token, knife, ring, etc that can be engraved. Something they can pass to their kid one day, if it means a lot to them.

Perhaps a shadow box to display the Eagle medal, merit badge sash, and other Scouting achievments and memorabilia? While he may be wearing those with his uniform now, time passes quickly and, for most, Scouting ends relatively quickly as high school, graduation, college, jobs, etc., approach. But, again for most, the sense of pride and achievment does not.

I still have my Eagle medal, my 'card' and my OA ribbon. Sadly, the rest were 'disposed of.' I'd dearly love to have the other stuff...just 'because.' Besides, some of those OA and other patches are high priced collectors items now.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

I agree with Fiddleback. My oldest made Eagle a few years ago and we didn't do gifts, but if we had, I think a nice display case for his Eagle medal would have been a good choice. The box it comes in doesn't really work. One of the things that made the ceremony special was having several out-of-town relatives attend. Made the boy pretty happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I also like getting something engraved to commemorate.
    Congratulations
    I had a Svea 123R engraved for my nephew when he achieved eagle. His name, Eagle Scout and the date of his award make his 123 a unique and lasting memento. It should serve him well for many years on the trail!

Cheers,

TrailManny

My son made eagle and did the full journey thru cub scouts and boy scouts. I think the shadow/presentation box is an excellent idea. He got one from his cub scout days, and it is really nice. If he doesn't have a knife and or compass, I think those are appropriate as well.

I do not recall getting any gifts at my Eagle ceremony nor have I ever see anyone recieve one at theirs. I like the outfitter idea or maybe a gift certificate to Campmor or something like it. That said...we are dealing with a 70 year old proud grandmother who wants to buy her grandson a gift from the B.S.A. store. I think you should take her, browse the "Eagle" stuff, help her pick something out that wont break the bank, go home and wrap it...then the mission is complete. It will make HER happy and thats the most important part.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by slingblade View Post
    I do not recall getting any gifts at my Eagle ceremony nor have I ever see anyone recieve one at theirs. I like the outfitter idea or maybe a gift certificate to Campmor or something like it. That said...we are dealing with a 70 year old proud grandmother who wants to buy her grandson a gift from the B.S.A. store. I think you should take her, browse the "Eagle" stuff, help her pick something out that wont break the bank, go home and wrap it...then the mission is complete. It will make HER happy and thats the most important part.

THANK YOU! MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY. On a side note, while I was sectioning the AT this year my mom fell and fractured her pelvis in two places and her collar bone. While she was not bad enough to go to a rehab facility after leaving the hospital, she did require someone to be with her at all times the first couple of weeks. I chose not to leave the trail so the job was up to my 2 younger brothers and their wives. A couple of times when the boys were out of town because of their jobs and my sister-in-laws could not get off work, Zach stayed with his Grandma during the day. I guess at age 17 he is a better Grandson than I am a Daughter.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++