WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Has anyone had a positive experience with a starting point this time of year?

My friend and I not experienced hikers. We have 2 weeks off and would like to try hiking some of the trail. If we have a good experience a thru hike could be possible in the next year or two. I would like to hear any positive experiences people have had for a 2 week section at this time of year. We plan on leaving in less than a month. I am not looking for suggestions other than sections of the trail to look at =)

You can start at Springer and knock out the GA section...might be a little hoT this time of the year, but it's mostly shaded and will give you a good idea of what to expect....you can easily break at several points along the trail in GA (Hiker Hostel, Mountain Crossings)

I should add that we would need both a place to park our car and a way to get back to our car. We cannot spend more than 2 weeks on the trail since I need to get back to my job on time! Does anyone know if Springer would fit this requirement? If there is any other suggestions that fit this requirement I would love to hear them!

Yep, you can leave it at he ranger station and get a ride back once you've finished...the Hiker Hostel can shuttle you back to Amicalola to pick up your car

If you come in to Georgia and stay at the Hiker Hostel they will let you leave your car with them and they will shuttle you to wherever you want to go. I'd do that, start at Springer, hike as far as you can go, and get them to pick you up. You could also park your car somewhere, get them to shuttle you to your starting point, and hike to your car. The only problem with that is if you don't make as many miles as you want to and have to call them to pick you up before you reach your car.

The HH is an excellent hostel, and they serve up a great breakfast. They can give you advice about water at this time of the year too, and perhaps help you with your gear.

Somewhere along the Blue Ridge is also an option. The trail criss-crosses the Parkway frequently so you could hike out and hitch back. Or go to the Shenandoahs and hike north or south via the AT and then back to your car using a variety of side trails plus the AT where necessary to connect. That could easily take two weeks.

You may have to inquire about current trail conditions as a result of Irene, but CT and MA would make a great hike in September without being overly difficult.

Images

Vermont would normally be great in Sept., but the flooding has been really bad. Lots of trees were knocked down in CT and the Berkshires also had problems, but they are more likely than VT to be OK by Sept. NH might be fine by then also.

++ New Posts ++