WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Tent necessary for thru?

Plain and simple me and my lab ward are thruing in march, is a tent necessary. My plan is to take advantage of the shelters and hostels along the way. How many nights could I be shelterless if I were to not bring a tent.

If "yes you need a tent" then wha tent would be good for me and my 80 pnd lab.

Images

Yes. You may show up to a full shelter/hostel. If it's raining, you'll be glad to have a backup. Bring a simple lightweight tarp. If you want bug protection, but a tarptent.
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Lifetime Section Hiker Berry Belle's Avatar

My husband and I used a tarp when we hiked the northern half of the AT. Unless the weather was totally miserable, we preferred it to the shelters. We found various ways to rig it for cold rainy weather or hot humid nights. Our walking sticks often served as tent poles. With a little ingenuity, it always did the job.

Images

Not all hostels are pet friendly, and lots of times people dislike smelling and sleeping with dogs specially wet ones in shelters ... if you're hiking with your dog "which i do" cept for when i thru hike in march, i tent ... that being said, save yourself the hassle and get a nice 2 person ultralight under 3 pounds ... lots of options. If you really wanna go tentless and spend money from hostel to hostel or make full use of the shelter's ... leave the dog home.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...06485526057330

Facebook Group - Appalachian trail hiker's

Images

Bring a tent, leave the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
    Plain and simple me and my lab ward are thruing in march, is a tent necessary. My plan is to take advantage of the shelters and hostels along the way. How many nights could I be shelterless if I were to not bring a tent.

no dogs in shelters.

You will 100% need a tent (or tarp or hammock or whatever). I was at a full shelter one rainy night when a tentless hiker arrived and demanded to be let into the shelter, only to be told no, and he had to move on. It's your responsibility to take care of yourself out there, not other people's.

As far as what tent. Tarptents are good, tarps alone are good (though I'd bring bug netting). Also, the old standby of the Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight will never treat you wrong, though it's a bit heavier.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

You will 100% need a tent (or tarp or hammock or whatever). I was at a full shelter one rainy night when a tentless hiker arrived and demanded to be let into the shelter, only to be told no, and he had to move on. It's your responsibility to take care of yourself out there, not other people's.

As far as what tent. Tarptents are good, tarps alone are good (though I'd bring bug netting). Also, the old standby of the Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight will never treat you wrong, though it's a bit heavier.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Bring a tent , unless you really like all the noise, crowding and critters. If you plan on taking the dog with you, it is the only fair way to go. Most folks will tolerate your pet , but some will get down right hostile! You can easily find a tent for the both of you in the under 5 lb range. I have a Big Agnes seadhouse 1 and it could hold both of you (if you are spooning). have fun and enjoy the adventure. I am heading SOBO in jsut over a month!

Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    Bring a tent and forget the shelters. They are rat boxes. If I wanted to stay in a shelter I would've stayed home and slept in the carport. There are a million campsites on the AT, and here's the thing: You can most-of-the-time find level campsites a half-mile before or after any shelter, so I recommend getting your water at the shelter and then humping it to a nice solitary campsite beyond (or backtrack). On my last AT trip it amused me to see daypack ultralighter types who carried no tents or hammocks or tarps and instead depended solely on the shelter system. Why? Just to go light? And then of course they had to sleep with rank strangers in an overused and foul box. Be a man and carry a tent.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

On my first overnight trip on Roan, I had no tent yet and planned on sleeping in the Barn. When I got there, I found out it was slam full of school kids. I was glad I carried a simple tarp just in case.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Garlic
    Images

I'll join the overwhelming chorus and highly recommend that you bring your own shelter. Look at a large tarptent. I'll reiterate all the good reasons above and add this--what happens if you can't make it to the next shelter? Shelters really suck, by the way, even without other people's dogs (mine's just fine, by they way).
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

If you're bringing a damn dog, especially one that is nearly as big as some of the women on the trail, you'd better bring a tent.
    AT '11
    Springer Mtn. 3/16/11 -------> Katahdin 8/24/11
    Stoveless and Slackless

Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    The above is the best advice. You will need a tent, you will not need the dog.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

If you have ever gone out for a few nights you would know the answer to this. You might get stuck between shelters because of injuries, foot problems or over estimating your mileage because of rough terrain. The shelters are always over crowded during the "thru season". How much backpacking experience do you have.? It always amazes me that people plan a thru hike and never spent a night on the trail.

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Wet dogs with muddy paws walking and laying down on other hikers' $300 down sleeping bags in the shelter will make you the least popular jackass out there, and deservedly so.

Images

On my 111 day thru hike I used shelters whenever possible and wound up spending 15 nights in my tent.

"How many nights could I be shelterless if I were to not bring a tent." I'm guessing out of those 15 I may have been able to find other shelter 5 times, so I would have been shelterless 10 times... I'd bring SOMETHING, tent, tarp, hammock, bivy, big black garbage bag, etc.

Number of nights in a Shelter 85
    Number of nights in a Tent 15
    Number of nights in a Hammock 0
    Number of nights Under the Stars 0
    Number of nights in a Hotel 4
    Number of nights in a Hostel 3
    Number of nights in a House 4

As much as I love dogs I would not want to share a shelter with one. Granted, I haven't slept in a shelter since Philmont. The only reason I would use a shelter is if rain were to deter me from setting up my tent. In that case I would definitely NOT want to share a shelter with a wet dog throwing water all over everything.

Another thing to consider, though, is your dog used to long distance hiking? It is very tough on dogs to hike that far day after day and you really need to be on top of the care of its pads and overall health. A thru hike is quite a bit different than a day hike or even short backpacking trips for a dog.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Bring a tent and forget the shelters. They are rat boxes. If I wanted to stay in a shelter I would've stayed home and slept in the carport. There are a million campsites on the AT, and here's the thing: You can most-of-the-time find level campsites a half-mile before or after any shelter, so I recommend getting your water at the shelter and then humping it to a nice solitary campsite beyond (or backtrack). On my last AT trip it amused me to see daypack ultralighter types who carried no tents or hammocks or tarps and instead depended solely on the shelter system. Why? Just to go light? And then of course they had to sleep with rank strangers in an overused and foul box. Be a man and carry a tent.
    IMO some hikers should "man-up" and carry a little more gear just in case of one of many unplanned events happen.The list is long and the forest is "wilderness".You should'nt depend on others for some things--You might find yourself alone every now&then.....

Images

I believe that going without a tent or at least a tarp or Hennessy Hammock is a bad idea. BUT - Tarps are iffy (when it's buggy ... OW CHIGGERS! ... above treeline ... I'M DROWNING, etc.) - AND - there are is not always a great place to hang a hammock when the lodgeploe pines sutrrounding you have nothing but small dead stumps of sticks on their trunks until about 35 feet up). With fully enclosed tents being so lightweight now (that use trekking poles) it seems foolhardy to not get one if you can afford it. My Six Moon Designs "Luna Solo" one man tent is fully enclosed (not a tarp) and guys out from where my trekking pole holds it up. It's only 23 ounces and I have used / beat it up for a few years now. GREAT TENT. If I were to get another today - I'd check out the ones that "Lightheart" is designing - same concept - more room - same lightweight.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++