WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

:banana PESTimistic HIKERS! WHY?!

Ok so my question is: Why are so many hikers negative and pestimistic through so many of my experiences. Its like a bunch of grouches decided to go into the woods and it is the only they enjoy. I thought engineers were bad when I went to school but a large percentage fo hikers I meet on the trail and on this forum speak like ignorant @$$holes! So why. We go out in the mountains to enjoy and learn about eachother and nature, about our selves. so why be an @$$.

Im prety sure these people know who you are so dont be shy now that you have been called outyou silent rouges! Or mabe jsut trolls:/

If youagree with me or disagree jsut put a thumbs up or down with your answer.

The irony is palpable........
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I like the word "pestimistic". I guess it means people that constantly bother you with their negativism.

I doubt it was an example of "sarchasm".......

Images

There are a LOT of jackholes on this forum. You just gotta chill and wait. I've met some awesome people on here who are now really good friends.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Ok, so now are we talking about thee jackholes on WB or the jackholes the OP is talking about on the trail?

Images

I'm saying the jackholes on WB. I have yet to meet a jackhole on the trail. There was one dude at the springer mtn shelter who was just plain freaky, but i suppose he meant well cause he kept trying to feed me fruit loops and ramen noodles. Actually now that I have typed my story I see the irony of the fruit loops!

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
    Ok so my question is: Why are so many hikers negative and pestimistic through so many of my experiences. Its like a bunch of grouches decided to go into the woods and it is the only they enjoy. I thought engineers were bad when I went to school but a large percentage fo hikers I meet on the trail and on this forum speak like ignorant @$$holes! So why. We go out in the mountains to enjoy and learn about eachother and nature, about our selves. so why be an @$$.

Im prety sure these people know who you are so dont be shy now that you have been called outyou silent rouges! Or mabe jsut trolls:/

If youagree with me or disagree jsut put a thumbs up or down with your answer.
    bad dog owners outweigh the few good ones. hence the negativity. prove otherwise

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I like the word "pestimistic". I guess it means people that constantly bother you with their negativism.

I doubt it was an example of "sarchasm".......
    I used that saccharasm stuff in my coffee once. I like sugar better.

Referencing the OP's rather rhetorical question: Often people elicit exactly the response they are asking for. Your thread, by its tone, is just begging for negative responses, and not just from engineers - and I'm not being pestimistic. Perhaps you could try a more positive, optimistic approach. You might find that the responses more closely mirror the tone of your questions. Works both on and off the trail.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

someone told me once that he hates idiots. I told them I love idiots. they make the rest of us look better!The trail isjust a microcosm of society. theres good , bad and ugly.we're all a combination of all three, just a matter of degree.

Many hikers are environmentalists at heart and like environmentalists they are arrogant tightwads. They got the burden to educate the rest of us on the follies of our ways, but at the same time deep down inside they know they're doing the same harm to the environment as the rest of us, but can't change their ways because they know they love the conveniences of modern society. Therefore they are stressed out jackasses. Once you realize this it's actually kind of funny how it is that hikers are some of the most miserable SOBs

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    bad dog owners outweigh the few good ones. hence the negativity. prove otherwise
    . That's not specific to the trail either...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I used that saccharasm stuff in my coffee once. I like sugar better.
    I can't remember what it's called when you add a letter to a word and come up with a twist on the original word. Sarchasm is the gulf between what is said and the person who doesn't get it ...........

Pestimist was an excellent addition.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Does it really surprise you that a good number of the people who choose to spend their free time in the woods are strong willed and might not be the sort that really enjoy social interaction?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Many hikers are environmentalists at heart and like environmentalists they are arrogant tightwads. They got the burden to educate the rest of us on the follies of our ways, but at the same time deep down inside they know they're doing the same harm to the environment as the rest of us, but can't change their ways because they know they love the conveniences of modern society. Therefore they are stressed out jackasses. Once you realize this it's actually kind of funny how it is that hikers are some of the most miserable SOBs
    I'm a perfect example. I love the outdoors. I consider myself somewhat of an enviromentalist. I practice leave no trace. I worked for a newspaper, and at one time it took one million trees to bring the United States the Sunday Paper only. I felt torn between my love of the outdoors and making a living and providing for family. Thank God we started recycling and farming. If it wasn't for that newspaper I couldn't have retired and I wouldn't be attempting my thru in 2013. I'm glad for that but I still feel bad about the waste I was part of.

Some people only ask questions because they want to hear agreement. When others differ they cannot handle it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I can't remember what it's called when you add a letter to a word and come up with a twist on the original word.
    Sniglet [The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters]
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Does it really surprise you that a good number of the people who choose to spend their free time in the woods are strong willed and might not be the sort that really enjoy social interaction?
    This. The last thing I want to be doing in the deep woods is talking -- or listening to someone talk at me, especially if it is about their gear. I could not care less about what's strapped to your back. I don't want to hear about your life back home. I certainly don't want to know about your chafing or jock itch or blisters or the guy who wet his sleeping bag at the last shelter.

I'm out there to hear the wind in the trees, the bustle of the (non-human) creatures around me. I'm out there to wonder at the beauty of it all. I'm out there to breathe in the rich, fresh air. I'm out there to clear my mind of the everyday clutter that gathers in its corners. So, forgive me if I come off as reluctant to engage, or less than thrilled to interact with you. After all, that's not why I'm out there.

Quote Originally Posted by stars in her eyes View Post
    This. The last thing I want to be doing in the deep woods is talking -- or listening to someone talk at me, especially if it is about their gear. I could not care less about what's strapped to your back. I don't want to hear about your life back home. I certainly don't want to know about your chafing or jock itch or blisters or the guy who wet his sleeping bag at the last shelter.

I'm out there to hear the wind in the trees, the bustle of the (non-human) creatures around me. I'm out there to wonder at the beauty of it all. I'm out there to breathe in the rich, fresh air. I'm out there to clear my mind of the everyday clutter that gathers in its corners. So, forgive me if I come off as reluctant to engage, or less than thrilled to interact with you. After all, that's not why I'm out there.
    Maybe it would help us all if folks like you would wear a sign that read "leave me alone" or " I hate dogs". Though i do understand the anti social behavior.

Images

I stop and talk to everyone. I love meeting new people.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Sniglet
    I like portmanteaus better

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++