WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trail Runner Reviews

What are your current trail runners and do you like them? Where on this site or others is a good place to find a discussion or information on current trail runners available? I had a pair of Montrail Hardrocks and need to find a replacement. There are so many options and many cheap imitations.

New Balance 840s. Unfortunately they are no longer made (fortunately I picked up an extra pair when they went on clearance). They don't even make an updated version of it. Two things I like about them: 1) very tacky sole -- I'm much less likely to slip on wet rocks and boardwalks than with other New Balance shoes I've tried on the trail (and unfortunately they no longer use the same sole material on any of their other shoes!) and 2) New Balance makes its shoes in a wide variety of widths so I can find my 11 4E size with no problem. Because they are a very good fit and breathe very well (they are not waterproof) I am less prone to blisters with them than with any other shoe I have tried on the trail.

So unfortunately this shoe is not available but it does bring up a couple important things to look for when you are in the store: sticky soles and good fit.
    Last edited by map man; 09-03-2011 at 13:38.

I use two pair. LaSportiva Wildcat for warmer temps. and LaSportiva Wildcat GTX (gortex) for colder temps. They work well for me. No break in period, never have had a blister or any other type of issue. Each pair has about 300 miles on them and will probably last another 100 miles each. But it is all about finding a shoe that works with your feet. Maybe my feet are made for LaSportiva style shoes.

Garlic
    Images

New Balance 813, and I've been using the same series since the 806. I mainly like them because they come in EE width.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Salomon XA Comp, mesh for 3-season, Goretex for winter. These are softer than the more popular XA Pro, and I find them more comfortable. I'm on my 6th or 7th pair of the mesh. Love 'em.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

New Balance, they seem to hold up better than most of the other brands out there. As they age, I add a set of Super Feet insoles and they're good for several hundred more miles.
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'd go to a professoinal shop and get your foot measured and checked for its arch. Then buy the correct shoe that will work for your foot type. I use Brooks Adrenaline ASRS because I pronate.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Chaco sandals. You'd be surprised how well they work.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Just got a pair of Montrail Badrocks. I had been looking for a good replacement to the Hardrocks and these are great. Went up Monadnock yesterday and they handle great on the rocks.

Default Asics Kayano

I usually pay little attention to what other people have to say about a particular brand and model unless I hear that that particular shoe falls apart rapidly. It's all about what works best on MY feet. I use orthotics for long distance hiking and have found that Asics work very well with those orthotics with my feet.

For example, I bought a couple pairs of Montrail Hardrocks in my size. They fit good at first but after a long day hiking began to blister my feet. It only got worse in coming days. They are great shoes for many, and didn't work for me at all. Now I go straight to Asics in my size and they usually fit perfectly first try out of the box.

Yeti GAME 08 Team Deutschemark smaaax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redseal View Post
    I use two pair. LaSportiva Wildcat for warmer temps. and LaSportiva Wildcat GTX (gortex) for colder temps. They work well for me. No break in period, never have had a blister or any other type of issue. Each pair has about 300 miles on them and will probably last another 100 miles each. But it is all about finding a shoe that works with your feet. Maybe my feet are made for LaSportiva style shoes.
    What is wearing on the Wildcats?

Montrail Masochists work great for me... I use green superfeet for both running and hiking. The shoes go from box to trail with no breaking in and are so comfortable. They come in a gortex version too. Can't say enough good things about them.

Quote Originally Posted by JybbaGirl View Post
    Montrail Masochists work great for me... I use green superfeet for both running and hiking. The shoes go from box to trail with no breaking in and are so comfortable. They come in a gortex version too. Can't say enough good things about them.
    You know I had the same experience with Montrails. Because of there flexibility, going straight to the trail is no problem. We did Monadnock the other day and I usually have some post hike foot soreness with new shoes, but not really an issue with Montrails.

I looked at the LaSportiva's as well as they are a nice shoe, just didnt have my size, and I wanted to try the Montrails again.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

merrell trail glove

love em

lafuma trail runners for over 1000 miles in 2007

Quote Originally Posted by smaaax View Post
    What is wearing on the Wildcats?
    The Wildcats are still pretty good. Only minor wear and tear you would expect, like the grips on the bottom wearing off or falling off.

The Wildcat GTX the same, but one more issue. The sole is starting to come off on the back. This pair saw the roughest terrain. PA rocks and ME roots and rocks.

++ New Posts ++