WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I can be a bit of a nerd when it comes to studying history and genealogy in the south. Here are some historical notes from 1848 describing the cheese farm and and how it was set up.
    Interesting how they used spring water carried in to chill the dairy, also interesting how the New Englanders used slave labor to make the operation profitable.

Something that caught my attention is the name of "Trail Mountain" instead of "Tray Mountain", and how it got it's original name. Wonder when it was changed.

http://toto.lib.unca.edu/findingaids...l_mountain.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Camped there in March. A very delightful site.
    You are never too old.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

I'll second the above. Beautiful site, easy road access, nice spring (in March and April, at least).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    I can be a bit of a nerd when it comes to studying history and genealogy in the south. Here are some historical notes from 1848 describing the cheese farm and and how it was set up.
    Interesting how they used spring water carried in to chill the dairy, also interesting how the New Englanders used slave labor to make the operation profitable.

Something that caught my attention is the name of "Trail Mountain" instead of "Tray Mountain", and how it got it's original name. Wonder when it was changed.

On the first page he said that he is writing from the "highest mountain in Ga".
    That would be Brasstown Bald.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    On the first page he said that he is writing from the "highest mountain in Ga".
    That would be Brasstown Bald.
    You missed one word:

I now write from near the summit of the highest mountain in Georgia.
    I read it to mean he was close to the highest point or could see it. I love the way he describes the area around the cheese factory as almost treeless and what great views in all directions.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

Images

But I wanted a building to run screaming around in like a 5 yr old! How disappointing! *sniff*
    Sniff? Sounds like cup o' cheese time.

Images

I shot some video up there during my April section hike. Check it out if you want....

http://youtu.be/Hrrwo2HgsSk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by G-WALK View Post
    I shot some video up there during my April section hike. Check it out if you want....

http://youtu.be/Hrrwo2HgsSk
    Thank you G-walk! That was very pretty

We were coming SO and had warnings from other NO hikers about a large snake in the area. Guess we were too busy on the look out for the snake and proceeding on by the "cheese factory". Before the last gap into Unicoi noticed we missed-it. Guess there's not much to see if we walked right by.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    ...There is a decent Winter season view about 200 yards South with a nice little campsite as well...
    Think I camped there the last time I was in that area. Good place to hang. I remember the next morning thinking if I'd just gone a bit farther that day, I could have camped at the cheese factory site, but then the other was better for a hammock. Not much of a view, though, but was some through the trees.

There is that wide open view site that is north of CF, were you thinking of that one?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

But I wanted a building to run screaming around in like a 5 yr old! How disappointing! *sniff*
    LOL! My thoughts exactly - I couldn't believe I'd pushed on from . . . what was it, Low Gap shelter? Met Gordon the AT supporter extraordinaire before Tray Mt., then came to . . . . nothing. Although if you go before the leaves are on the trees, you'll have the best view of the stars, absolutely gorgeous! And plenty of camping amongst the rhodedendrons.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Hey Mr Historian, were all "huge negros" in Georgia at the time slaves?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    Think I camped there the last time I was in that area. Good place to hang. I remember the next morning thinking if I'd just gone a bit farther that day, I could have camped at the cheese factory site, but then the other was better for a hammock. Not much of a view, though, but was some through the trees.
    Yeah, that's the one. Not much of a view, true, but not bad in January or February when all the leaves are down. After dark you can see the lights from the nearby towns of Cleveland and Clarkesville.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

And this is the establishment which supplies the people of Georgia with cheese, and the material out of which the scientific caterer manufactures the palatable Welsh Rabbit.

Interesting comment in the last sentence about "Welsh Rabbit", which is a cheese dish now called "Welsh Rarebit", it's yummy and can be found in the frozen foods section - Stouffer's makes it I think. I wonder if this is the kind of cheese they were making???

For the Welsh radio show, see Welsh Rarebit (radio programme).

Welsh Rarebit with tomato and Branston pickle on top.

Welsh rarebit or Welsh rabbit is a dish made with a savoury sauce of melted cheeseand various other ingredients and served hot over toast.[1] The names of the dish originate from 18th century Great Britain.[2] Welsh rarebit is typically made withCheddar cheese, in contrast to the Continental European fondue which classically depends on Swiss cheeses.
    "Eighteenth-century English cookbooks reveal that it was then considered to be a luscious supper or tavern dish, based on the fine cheddar-type cheeses and the wheat breads […] . Surprisingly, it seems there was not only a Welsh Rabbit, but also an English Rabbit, an Irish and a Scotch Rabbit, but nary (not) a rarebit."[3]
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Hey Mr Historian, were all "huge negros" in Georgia at the time slaves?
    Yes. According to all census records in that part of Georgia all black men where slaves.

Images

We just hiked from Tray Gap to Tesnatee Gap this past weekend and I was hoping to see something at Cheese Factory as well but there was nothing there. In fact we went right by it not knowing and had to go back and look for it. We were disappointed that there was nothing to see :-(

Yes. According to all census records in that part of Georgia all black men where slaves.
    OK, it sounded like an exception to the rule. It was normal why point it out?

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    OK, it sounded like an exception to the rule. It was normal why point it out?
    Because most Americans don't think of New Englanders moving to the south and using slave labor. I find it an interesting historical note, and because the writer of the 1848 story pointed out both that the Dairyman and Col. Edward Williams were from New England and he also pointed out the "huge hegros" doing the work.

In 1850 and 1860 the US government began doing slave counts for some states. The 1850 Slave Schedules for "cheese factory" owner Edward Williams of Habrbersham County, Georgia can be viewed on this page:

https://www.familysearch.org/pal:/MM...-59?cc=1420440

Now... do I expect the Companion to change a paragraph used for 15 years to read "you are passing the site where slaves produced award winning cheese"...or course not since it was not an exception to the rule.

Images

good place to tent or hammock and a good spring but nothing special

Images

Appreciate your posting this info. Nice to know some of the local history.
    Discover Kentucky's Long Tail. Join The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain, grow and preserve this national resource.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++