WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by slingblade View Post
    Back in 2000 the General would pull out a Magic 8 ball every morning. Ask it things like "should I hike today" "should I hitch to beer" etc.
    He must have worked in IT.

Just about everyone on our floor here has one, even the independent-fundamental Baptists.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

A saturated sleeping bag. The story of Soggy Jim.

2010 AT in GA. Woods Hole Shelter (the NOBO one before Blood Mtn and Neel Gap). Weather was pretty cold and in fact it snowed that night. As folks were arriving at the shelter, one of those who showed up was Jim. He had the trail name Sleepy because he apparently liked to go to bed early. As folks were getting set-up, he pulls out his sleeping bag and it is dripping water. He had a bladder that leaked. I don't remember his pack, but it was pretty much waterproof which meant it would keep the water in.

Well Jim was in a pickle. We offered that we could share some material with him, but of course no one had an extra bag to give him on this cold night. His best bet was to hump it to Mountain Crossings. He left his 15 degree Mountain Hardware bag and leaking bladder behind. Apparently he showed up after dark, shivering, but Miss Janet took care of him. He said he was done with anything involving overnight hiking and didn't care about his sleeping bag anymore. Buckaroo who had been sleeping cold had hiked the saturated bag out and got to keep it. So at least he won.

Great story malowitz.

a four D cell maglite... it was huge

Images

Quote Originally Posted by slingblade View Post
    Back in 2000 the General would pull out a Magic 8 ball every morning. Ask it things like "should I hike today" "should I hitch to beer" etc.
    That is awesome. I've found that the novelty items are worth carrying if you get enjoyment from them.

Ran into this guy at Partnership shelter who had been there three days going into town to mail things home, he had his pack weight down to 87 lbs. After he showed me his 11 flashlights, he pulled a box out of his pack that was about 3"x8"x18", completely stuffed with AA batteries. Nobody could convince him to get rid of all that. Pretty sure he was running instead of walking, if you catch my drift.

Images

Hitching to town just for beer, who really does that? Sheesh.

Could dub them Housewives of the AT.

The ladies with the coach bag is what I was commenting on sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    Ran into this guy at Partnership shelter who had been there three days going into town to mail things home, he had his pack weight down to 87 lbs. After he showed me his 11 flashlights, he pulled a box out of his pack that was about 3"x8"x18", completely stuffed with AA batteries. Nobody could convince him to get rid of all that. Pretty sure he was running instead of walking, if you catch my drift.
    Pony - any chance it was this guy we named Everready? I think his real name was Dwayne. His box of batteries was a little big bigger though. He was afraid of the dark and would light up his tent area all night long. He was also trying to sell the flashlights for some more money. This was in 2010.

DSC01645.jpgDSC01646.jpgDSC01647.jpg

Images

I saw a guy pull out a cast iron lid to a #12 dutch oven and a 3 lb pack of bacon. And of course he poured the grease on the ground at the shelter and then said glad i am not sleeping here to night.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    I saw a guy pull out a cast iron lid to a #12 dutch oven and a 3 lb pack of bacon. And of course he poured the grease on the ground at the shelter and then said glad i am not sleeping here to night.
    With friends like these....

Strawbale

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    What's the worst thing you've seen someone pull out their pack?
    - Copy of "Walk in the Woods"?
    I have seen that. Have also seen someone carrying the Lord of the Rings. All three books, not hard cover, but large paperbacks . . . DOH!

I'm not sure where the bird lady or the cat girl or the cello player fits, and, well, the guy with a hand cart is in a category all by himself, I reckon . . .

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike

Journal Entries
    Images

I hiked with Legs last year for a while, he carried only can goods to eat & had 3 or 4 large hard bound books. The 1st night he took out a huge bag of empty food cans from his pack & place them on the shelter floor, you could hear the mice loving them all night long. Interesting as well, he carried a jetboil to heat up this food?? Good Guy
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Bumped into a couple of college groups earlier this week while hiking in the torrential rain in Massachusetts. Each group used two heavy duty tarps to shelter about a dozen college kids, lots of sweatpants and blue jeans, dozens of nalgene bottles among them. Most of their packs looked to be 40-50 pounds and these were small college kids carrying them. One group filled an entire bear box with the food that the college had packed them but they didn't eat, they were on their second to last day.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by malowitz View Post
    Pony - any chance it was this guy we named Everready? I think his real name was Dwayne. His box of batteries was a little big bigger though. He was afraid of the dark and would light up his tent area all night long. He was also trying to sell the flashlights for some more money. This was in 2010.

DSC01645.jpgDSC01646.jpgDSC01647.jpg
    Yep, that's the guy. Looks like he was afraid his stove canister would go empty too. When and where did you see him? Was he actually hiking, or just camping out at shelters?

I was once at a shelter and a young girl, about 18 I guess, calmly pulled out a Beretta and put it on the pinic bench at the shelter and kept rooting around in her pack. I asked if it was loaded and she said she didn't think so because her uncle had give it to her for "show." I asked to see it. The clip was empty but when I pulled back the hammer...sure enough...there was a round in the chamber. The girl didn't even know about the safety. I asked the girl if I could keep the bullet and she just shrugged her shoulders and said "Oh sure I'm probably not gonna use it, that's for sure." I kept it until I got home and gave it to a peson I know with the same make & model.
    THE LONGER YOU LIVE THE OLDER YOU GET

Fantastic thread, made for good reading waiting on line at JFK.

Pony - I met Dwayne at the Trimpi Shelter, just a bit north of the Grayson Highlands. I actually got to the shelter early that day and he was among many people who were already there. He had a set-up with shower curtains as extra rain tarps over his tent. He said he was doing a section, but nope, I didn't see him actually move anywhere. Between the time I arrived and departed, nothing about his camp set-up changed.

Default Indiana Jones?

I hiked a while with a young guy who must have thought the AT was some completely untamed wilderness. He pulled a 7" knife out of his pack! Let's just say he was quite upset when he found the next post office closed.

Journal Entries

Took a marine flare gun and some cartridges with me on the start of my AT thru-hike, in case of bears....
    It didn't take long to realize that I would probably miss the bear,(if he ever attacked me ib the first place!!), and more likely would just set the woods on fire!!!
    So I sent it home. Got a few larfs along the trail with it, for sure...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++