WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New Stoves from MSR

MSR is putting out some new takes on some of it's most venerable stoves. New Stoves from MSR.

The MSR MicroRocket:

The MSR Whisperlite Universal:

They're also putting out an improved Windpro, the Windpro II (see above linked blog post) which basically now comes with a canister stand so you can more easily run with the canister upside down for cold weather operation. The Windpro II's coupler also rotates, making it easier to invert the canister.

Supposedly, MSR is making some improvements to the Whisperlite Internationale, but I don't have any details. If anyone has any details on the improvements they're making to the Internationale, I'm all ears.

HJ
    Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving

Default MSR windpro

I have a 5 yo WindPro. MSR says they tweeked the generator tube and valve for the new model. I know people have been inverting the canister on the old model but I haven't. Wonder if I can buy just the fuel hose cable, and or valve to update my stove for easy canister flipping. Whadaya think Hiker Jim?

Quote Originally Posted by TrilliumTrekker View Post
    I have a 5 yo WindPro. MSR says they tweeked the generator tube and valve for the new model. I know people have been inverting the canister on the old model but I haven't. Wonder if I can buy just the fuel hose cable, and or valve to update my stove for easy canister flipping. Whadaya think Hiker Jim?
    I haven't yet seen the Windpro II. I imagine the fuel lines will be interchangeable, but I won't know that for 100% sure until I actually get a Windpro II to pour over in person. Still, I'm willing to bet that they won't switch the connector and that the new fuel hose that rotates at the valve will be interchangeable with a current Windpro.

In some ways, I'm not that excited about the Windpro II. Don't get me wrong; I think the changes are good ones. But for someone who already has a current Windpro, I don't think there's a compelling reason to upgrade. The current Windpro has a very flexible fuel line and does quite well in inverted mode. See http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot....r-windpro.html for photos of my Windpro in inverted mode.

So, yes, I think you can switch out the fuel line. I think the new fuel line will be a nice convenience, but (at least for me) I don't think I'm going to rush out to upgrade.

HJ

Thanks, Hiking Jim. I saw your photos of the inverted canister and read your comments to warm up the stove, turn it down, keep the canister low when flipping. I saw one photo of the canister leaning against a z-rest and a photo of the canister resting in a metal cylinder thing. I gonna give it a try.

You can use pretty much anything to prop up a canister. Some people use like a little margarine or yogurt tub. In this photo, I just used some small rocks.
    P1080427.JPG
    That's not a Windpro. That's an Optimus Nova that I modified so I could use it on gas, but same idea.

HJ

Images

nice stuff - I'm an old stove junkie - I pretty much use a pocket-rocket full time now (and change to a Whisperlight below freezing), but it's fun to break out the old Optimus Svea stove, the Sigg with it's funny fuel line that doesn't fit MSR's etc. It would be fun to see an "old stove round-up" post. One stove I've always disliked was the Coleman (unless I was base camping with my big green two burner).

lol. Don't get me started. I've got an awful lot of old stoves. The Svea 123 is one of my favorites (of course). The Hank Roberts gas stove developed in the late 1960's is my favorite old gas stove. HJ

Images

wow - you makin' me feel super young - what's a Hank Robert's gas stove? I'll google it.

That whisperlite looks pretty intriguing. Sturdier perhaps? The ability to interchange with my MSR Reactor's stove fuel is a plus!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason762 View Post
    That whisperlite looks pretty intriguing. Sturdier perhaps? The ability to interchange with my MSR Reactor's stove fuel is a plus!
    Definitely sturdier, and yes, with the new Whisperlite, the fuel is compatible with a Reactor. The Whisperlite will work on gas in much lower temperatures than a Reactor though, because you can invert the canister (which feeds liquified gas to the burner). When you invert the canister, you no longer depend on the outside temperature to vaporize the liquefied gas in your canister. The heat of the flame vaporizes the gas. A good practical lower limit on a Reactor is about 20F/-7C. Yes, it will work lower on a new canister, but over the life of the canister, about 20F is practical. A Whisperlite Universal on the other hand will work down to about 0F/-18C. That's a significant expansion of the seasons you can use gas in.

HJ

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    wow - you makin' me feel super young - what's a Hank Robert's gas stove? I'll google it.
    See this post on my blog http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot....-mark-iii.html

It's the best old gas stove design that I know about. As a matter of fact, it's a lot better than a lot of modern gas stoves -- and it was designed in the 1960's!
    [img]3.bp.blogspot.com/-GAqr_gt6-u0/Tlaj7uc8ekI/AAAAAAAAK6k/vlRmFfirTyY/s1600/P1070226.JPG[/img]

HJ

Crud. That photo didn't work. Ah. There we go.
    P1070226.JPG

Much better.

HJ

I never owned a Hank Roberts Ministove. I did have one of the first model Coleman Peak One white gas stove. I never really liked it. I watched a lot of Svea stove masters on the trails when I started but never got around to buying one. It is not too late! From the Peak 1 I went to an XGK (MSR) and had a roarer burner to join the Svea chorus.

Quote Originally Posted by TrilliumTrekker View Post
    I never owned a Hank Roberts Ministove. I did have one of the first model Coleman Peak One white gas stove. I never really liked it. I watched a lot of Svea stove masters on the trails when I started but never got around to buying one. It is not too late! From the Peak 1 I went to an XGK (MSR) and had a roarer burner to join the Svea chorus.
    Yeah, I've got a Coleman 400 Feather. To me it's bulky and heavy. I'm not really that excited about that type of stove.

They're still making the Svea 123 -- the only stove from that era still made today. So, yes, it's not too late to join the party.

HJ

Any updates? I'm looking to buy the Whisperlite International Universal, courious for a release date. Christmas 2011 (err I mean December 2011)?

Any updates? I'm looking to buy the Whisperlite International Universal, courious for a release date. Christmas 2011 (err I mean December 2011)?
    Did you see the full review in Seattle Backpacker's Magazine? I've also posted some additional photos on my blog. The stove is due out to the public starting in January, 2012.

HJ

after talking to backcountry im going to return my whisperlite for a simmerlite its lighter and white gas.

The Simmerlite is definitely lighter. It's also more compact in part due to its more flexible hose which packs up well. It doesn't really simmer though if that's of importance to you. The joke is that they should have named the stove the SimmerNot instead of the SimmerLite.

If you're interested, I did a write up on the SimmerLite.

HJ

In your opinion, which is preferable: the whisperlite or simmerlite? Assuming the kerosene burning factor is irrelevant, what would you go with for warm-to-cool weather (no snow camping/melting)?

In your opinion, which is preferable: the whisperlite or simmerlite? Assuming the kerosene burning factor is irrelevant, what would you go with for warm-to-cool weather (no snow camping/melting)?
    As always, which stove is best depends a little bit on your cooking style. If you're just going to boil water, the Simmerlite would be great. If you need to have good flame control, then I'd wait until January and pick up a Whisperlite Universal. The Whisperlite Universal is about $40.00 more and a bit heavier, but if you like to cook and want to be able to have a low flame, the Whisperlite Universal may be worth the extra money.

HJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++