WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Montrail Badrocks

For those of you that loved the Hardrocks, the Badrocks are a great substitute. I took mine out to "break in" at Monadnock last weekend and was a true test because it climbing a rock slab. The grip on them is awesome especially with the rocks. Very breathable!

Images

Just ordered a pair of BADROCK MID OUTDRY! Owned Hardrocks and loved them, now I'm going to give theses a try. Anyone else have input?

Did more hiking in these last weekend. Obviously they get wet easily but with sock liners and darn tough socks, feet stay warm. Had some low temps but no problems with my feet at all. The grip on these things are awesome. It was like wall-walking on these NH rocks. I love these shoes. Interested to see how long they will last up here

Images

How can they get wet easily because they are waterproof (outdry) I'm talking about the boots (mid) so, I hope they are warmer and less water absorbant. Seams this is a new waterproof membrain because last year Montrail was using Gortex. Can't wait to try these out and post my review.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

Please ignore the last post. It turns out I was wearing one of my old pair of Hardrocks. As they say in espanol "IDIOTA!!!"

It remains to be seen how long they last.

Later

redfaced
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Images

followup to the Badrocks experience.

Mine had 3 months of break in practice hikes (all on sidewalks or flat florida sand trails and two weeks of At hiking.

At that point, the mesh had started to tear along the seams and the heel wore through completely.

Apparently, the soft sole compound which gives good grip also gives poor life.

I won't be buying any more Montrails. They have used up all the good rep that the Hardrocks earned them. There are too many other competing brands out there.
    Grinder

I tried them on and thy felt amazgly like the hardrocks whch wld b wonderfl

yea they are

What is Outdry?

Good video. I wonder what the guys at Gore think of this.

Images

Has taken me more time than I thought to breakin these high tops. First they are very lite and have a great traction sole. The membrain does a very good job keeping feet dry in wet conditions. Been day hiking around the PA rocks while wet and had no issues with slipping on the rocks or in leaves. I have a wide foot and the fit is as advertised. I've replaced the insole and am using a thick soft cussion insert. Would recommend this footware.

Images

Got my Badrocks from Online Shoes today. They had them for $76.99 free shipping.

I have only tried them on. They feel alright.

I do have to say that they look kind of Ghetto. The yellow sole is real bright and the silver trim is like chrome plate. I suppose a quick trip through the mud will tone them down enough to suit this old man.

I'll report back again when they have some mile on them.
    Grinder

I hear they r coming out w some great shoes in 2012

I hear ya. The badrocks are great shoes but I will say this about them. They are not so great in the Whites because of the terrain. In southern Vermont they are great. I would also imagine that they would do great in the south just the rugged stuff. Im still loving my Badrocks.

Registered User Transient Being's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

http://www.rei.com/product/811471/mo...ing-shoes-mens

I guess the link would have helped.

Journal Entries
    Images

What about these? They're about 6 oz's lighter. One oz. on your feet are worth 5oz on your back. haha. Same price, I'm thinking about getting some for a thru-hike, but wanted some opinions first.

Images

Bird,

Those shoes seem to have a lot of mesh. That spells trouble to me. My last New Balance had a lot of mesh and the rocks in New Hampshire and South Maine wore thru the sides and about turned them into sandals while the soles were still in good shape.

Just Sayin'
    Grinder

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    Bird,

Those shoes seem to have a lot of mesh. That spells trouble to me. My last New Balance had a lot of mesh and the rocks in New Hampshire and South Maine wore thru the sides and about turned them into sandals while the soles were still in good shape.

Just Sayin'
    couple of trips in my montrails in The Whites and you are right, the mesh gets torn up.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'll probably need another pair by then anyway lol. What about the south states, I've never hiked the northern ones, but I hear they have alot of rocks. Maybe I could get by with the mesh till then. Just sayin'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++