WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Anyone interested in a Week on the AT in Virginia Fall 2011 ...

I am looking for a Hiking partner for roughly a weeks hike on the AT in Virginia in the next month or two.

I do not have much experience backpacking other than a few 1 and 2 nighters here and there. This will be sort of a "shake down" hike for me to evaluate gear I have purchased and to see if even attempting a ThruHike is even feasible.

I am in average shape and do not expect to set any speed records, ie: I will most likely be SLOW.

Anyone interested in joining me, I would love the company and hopefully some advice/guidance from someone more knowledgeable than myself.

Thanks ... hope to hear back from you.

Images

I am doing SOBO from Harper's Ferry to Swift Run Gap 9/24 - 10-1. Would like hiking companion and someone to shuttle cars with.
    I am just starting my SOBO AT section hike and starting with VA. See my thread on Whiteblaze/Hooking-Up dated 9/2.

Default Between Roanoke and Delaware Water Gap until Nov 2011

I am section hiking 2-4 days a week in an area including Central and Northern Virginia, mainly trying to get in shape (translation, I am SLOW as well, but can put in reasonably long days). Hiking SOBO South of Pen Mar, and NOBO northwards, switching locations depending on weather and availability of support. Needless to say, Virginia, and not rainy Pennsylvania is my choice for this weekend. While I can't hit the trail for a week (yet), feel free to contact me in the chance that we could coordinate car shuttles.

I'm interested in a week - 10 day section anywhere from Erwin, TN up to Harpers Ferry. I'd be interested in paying for shuttle from airports if it worked out cheaper than my gas cost driving over 600 miles. I am in pretty good shape so would prefer going at least 12 miles per day average though. I have first of October available or much of Nov and Dec.

I am planning a VA hike this fall, dates flexible. My thought was to go from Elkton to Harpers Ferry northbound through the Shenandoahs, and plan to fly into DC. I planned to begin anytime after September 25, and be done around October 7, but I am flexible as to dates. I could also do anything in VA north of Bland as I have not yet done that part of the trail.
    Katie

I am interested in your week to 10 day hike in VA this fall. I plan to fly into DC and take a shuttle to Elkton and hike to Harpers Ferry. Does that fit for you? I could do anything north of Bland, but thought the Shenandoahs would be nice this time of year. Interested? I am in shape and do 12-18 miles a day and am told that this section of the trail is very easy, so could do 15-18 with no problem.
    Katie
    S I think I may have communicated with you a couple of years ago about a hike possibility. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    I am interested in your week to 10 day hike in VA this fall. I plan to fly into DC and take a shuttle to Elkton and hike to Harpers Ferry. Does that fit for you? I could do anything north of Bland, but thought the Shenandoahs would be nice this time of year. Interested? I am in shape and do 12-18 miles a day and am told that this section of the trail is very easy, so could do 15-18 with no problem.
    Katie
    S I think I may have communicated with you a couple of years ago about a hike possibility. ?

Hi Katie, I am assuming you are talking to me, ednotmilkman, since the others didn't say they would hike a faster pace?? I'd be glad to meet up with the newer people if we can co-ordinate but I would not agree on doing less than 12 mile per day for long. I can't say i remember much about talking with you before, Katie, but it's likely. I have no dates set but no dates ruled out either after Nov 6 I would have barely 10 days available in Oct from the 5th to the 15th. One reason I wait for a hiking buddy is that I don't study the trail guides to know where the trailheads, shuttles or food resupply places are (until the last minute if I need to) and will ask your opinion on all those logistics. How far is Elkton from Hapers Ferry? My preference would be to hike in Nov., but the fall colors should be nice in mid Oct. The reason I can't go in late Oct. is that I am going on a national Sierra Club service trip to Guadalupe Mountains National Park for a week, plus an extra week visiting a friend and my sister. Next Sunday I have a date with Shannan from White blaze forum to hike the GA loop of AT,BMT, DRT.

Might be better to send me an e-mail to decide the details. I'll see if I can find previous notes between us about hooking up.

I would like to do a Va. hike in mid to late October. I was planning a north bound hike thru Shenandoah National Park...but I'm flexible. I did a 1,000 mile southbound, Vermont to Virginia hike in 1977. Since then, family and a business intervened. This past spring I replaced my 35 year old external frame Kelty Tioga for a new internal frame backpack and headed out for a 5 day trip. Had a great time, but really missed hiking companions. Twelve mile plus days are good with me. I live in the Northern Virginia area and can help with transportation and setting up a shuttle. FYI the waysides selling the blueberry shakes, close up shop on November 6th.
    Last edited by A/T Spike; 09-24-2011 at 15:00.

Images

Hey if any of yall happen by Hog camp Gap on Columbus weekend I cook up 5 qts of wild apple cobbler in a dutch oven and we roll the ball around and make ice cream. This will be our 3rd year doing this and always we have several hikers happen by and they get a good dessert! Last year 6 people ate all 5 qts and every crumb in the pot,. Oct is a great time to hike Virginia.

im also interested in 2-3 days hiking in october. ive hiked from gravel springs(which is about mile marker 17 on skyline drive) north to PA(pen mar). if anyone is hiking south of that please let me know.

I just returned from 4 days of hiking sourth out of Haerpers Ferry through the roller coaster area.
    I would like to do another week in the Shenandoahs, all of October is available to me. I do 15 mile days mostly, give or take according to terrain. NOrthbound through the park would be just perfect for me. Are you still thinking of doing this?
    Katie

Quote Originally Posted by A/T Spike View Post
    I would like to do a Va. hike in mid to late October. I was planning a north bound hike thru Shenandoah National Park...but I'm flexible. I did a 1,000 mile southbound, Vermont to Virginia hike in 1977. Since then, family and a business intervened. This past spring I replaced my 35 year old external frame Kelty Tioga for a new internal frame backpack and headed out for a 5 day trip. Had a great time, but really missed hiking companions. Twelve mile plus days are good with me. I live in the Northern Virginia area and can help with transportation and setting up a shuttle. FYI the waysides selling the blueberry shakes, close up shop on November 6th.
    I just returned from 4 days of hiking sourth out of Haerpers Ferry through the roller coaster area.
    I would like to do another week in the Shenandoahs, all of October is available to me. I do 15 mile days mostly, give or take according to terrain. NOrthbound through the park would be just perfect for me. Are you still thinking of doing this?
    Katie

Default Oct 8-10 (holiday weekend)

Looking for 40-45 miles SOBO starting Milam Gap (near Big Meadows) or at any point south in Virginia. Can help with car shuttle, or share shuttle expenses.

Hopefully it won't snow like it did last weekend in SNP...

++ New Posts ++