WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: steripen fail

Default steripen fail

I started the AT with the steripen classic and spent the first 340 miles recommending it as light and convienent but yesterday it stopped working (somethings wrong with the water sensor) so today my girlfriend and I hiked into Erwin without water. I called the company to see what they could get a replacement to me in a timely fashion. I was told that overnight shipping would cost me. They looked it up $40 I was complaining some and they agreed to split shipping with me but I'm thinking that $20 is a good amount of money towards a filter and that while I saw plenty of steripens at the start of the AT I'm not seeing them anymore. Also the outfitters I've been talking to haven't had good things to say about their reliability. So I think it's a bit lame that they weren't tripping over themselves to have me give steripen another chance because as it sits I have to give the review that steripens aren't reliable enough to take into the woods.

I've been wanting to try them out. Figured I would find a free one in hiker boxes after the first 100 miles.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

If you have the Classic you have to keep the pins fairly dry and not just place the cap back on right after use. If the weather conditions are damp the sensors do not dry out and you will get an error message on next use. If you dry the pins off and even blow on them the unit should function again.

All this can be avoided with the newer Opti units that do not have such pins to mess with.

Also, and this applies to any other system, carry some backup pills such at Micropur tablets. You should always have a plan B if you intend to treat all your water. There is no need to go without.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

steripens have their place. but it may not be for everyone. its a good thing for boyscouts. ive seen them make some easy water for alot of folks. but i dont treat or filter so i cant talk. im all kinds of parisites inside prolly.but im havein fun.
    matthewski

I love my Steripen and use it for travel as well as hiking. I never hike without two systems for treating water, though - it's one of the very few places I allow redundancy. I always carry a set of Aqua Mira as backup. Haven't had to use it yet and I've had my Steripen for three years.

I've had mine for 3 years, still like it alot. But they are not without issues.

Red light errors: most of the time its either due to wet probes or low batts. Whenever I get one, a dry the probes on my shirt, if that doesn't work I wave the device in the air to airdry or blow on them. If that fails, I unscrew the top cap and reinstall the batts. twice (in 3 yrs) I've not gotten any of those to work and used my backup treatment.

There is also some battery drain that happens while in storage. I use rechargeable and always top them off before leaving on a trip and whenever I goto town for resupply.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
    as it sits I have to give the review that steripens aren't reliable enough to take into the woods.
    Filters clog or freeze/burst. Chemicals don't work well in frigid temps, or work very slowly, and can affect the body. Boiling is fine, but takes time and fuel and then you have to wait on water to cool down to drink.

Lesson is that there is no perfect, 100% reliable answer?

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

I just carry a MSR Water Works 2 filter for years with never a problem Thanks for this info on the steri pen..now I'll know to never depend on one.. Sounds a little too technical to me... batteries, dry probes, wet probes ..etc...I just put my inlet hose in the water and pump the handle..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Filters clog or freeze/burst. Chemicals don't work well in frigid temps, or work very slowly, and can affect the body. Boiling is fine, but takes time and fuel and then you have to wait on water to cool down to drink.

Lesson is that there is no perfect, 100% reliable answer?

RainMan

Boiling won't touch Cryptosporidium .It must be filtered out unless the chemicals will kill it..BUT... "chemicals?" We get enough of that in our bodies already without adding it to our water

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRidgeRunner View Post
    Boiling won't touch Cryptosporidium .It must be filtered out unless the chemicals will kill it..BUT... "chemicals?" We get enough of that in our bodies already without adding it to our water
    The CDC says boiling at a rolling boil for 1 minute is sufficient.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Carry AquaMira or iodine as a backup.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    The CDC says boiling at a rolling boil for 1 minute is sufficient.
    I stand corrected if that also applies to Cryptosporidium... I had read somewhere before that boiling wouldn't kill Crypto (possibly in a filter ad? ) I discussed it with my Doctor who is also a hiker and he confirmed that boiling was ineffective on Crypto. Maybe he read the same filter ad that I did .. It's my understanding though that Cryptosporidium is pretty rare anyway..I might add though that in the past I have drank water from springs, branches, creeks..etc...without filtering, purifying or boiling.. I have boiled it and I have filtered it and have yet to become sick from water....Unless someone just pissed in it maybe the risk from water is over rated any way..

Thanks for the advice everyone. My backup is to boil but we really weren't in the mood to go back to the water source since it was a .6 round trip so we just did the 6 to town.

Chinmusic, the problem isn't damp pins there's water actually getting inside the device.

Taking the battery compartment off and leaving it in the sun helps a little but the best short term solution I've found is roasting it over a camp fire.

Thanks for the advice everyone. My backup is to boil but we really weren't in the mood to go back to the water source since it was a .6 round trip so we just did the 6 to town.

Chinmusic, the problem isn't damp pins there's water actually getting inside the device.

Taking the battery compartment off and leaving it in the sun helps a little but the best short term solution I've found is roasting it over a camp fire.

Doh!

Thanks for the double post kindle.

Images

I've used all three versions of the steripen when hiking with my wife ( a chemist who used UV light to create test samples of water in a lab and was therefore instantly enamored with the steripen). The only one which doesn't get water into the apparatus and go through a day or to of failure is the Adventurer. It has a different enclosure around the light wand and holds up pretty well.

However, the battery life is maybe 25% of what the manufacturer lists, and it would be prohibitively expensive on a hike of more than a couple of weeks.

On personal long trips, I'm selective about the water I draw and rarely treat any. I carry aqua mira for those occasions when the only accessible water is pretty questionable. This has taken of me for the last 2-3000 miles. But then, I grew up drinking cistern water, so like Matty and many others, I may just have a decent immunity to waterborne cooties.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
    ...... it stopped working (somethings wrong with the water sensor) ......
    Bucho, this an old debate and I'll warn you upfront I'm no fan of the SteriPen (yes, I own one) so here's my two cents. Back when I did my thru hike in 2009 SteriPen had a batch of units that were failing as the result of red light errors finally determined to be problem with the probe being unable to detect sufficient quantities of electrolytes in the water. The units just kept shutting off. SteriPen customer service reps suggested it was either user error or bad batteries-WRONG!

After much complaining by customers SteriPen finally caved in, admitted to the problem, and made good on their defective units. It's well documented and you can find more information with a little help from a Goggle search. They've since re-designed the unit and corrected the problem supposedly.

Bottom line is I don't trust a battery powered devices for water filtration on a long distance hike- that's why you'll see almost every thru hiker carry and use AquaMira drops.

Is SteriPen a freaking wham-bam cool techno device? Sure. But if you want an easy safe, and reliable water treatment method endorsed by Dr. Ryan Jordan, search for the article: "Efficacy of Chemical Water Technologies in the Backcountry" by Erica McKenzie and Dr. Ryan Jordan
    Last edited by Spokes; 04-30-2011 at 18:07.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post

On personal long trips, I'm selective about the water I draw and rarely treat any. I carry aqua mira for those occasions when the only accessible water is pretty questionable. This has taken of me for the last 2-3000 miles. But then, I grew up drinking cistern water, so like Matty and many others, I may just have a decent immunity to waterborne cooties.
    This is me too. I've been carrying the same 10-12 Micro Pur tablets for about 2 years now.

I did drink water out of a beaver pond in Maine by accident (I was downstream from it) and thought I was figured I was probably going to die but I didn't even get sick.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    This is me too. I've been carrying the same 10-12 Micro Pur tablets for about 2 years now.

I did drink water out of a beaver pond in Maine by accident (I was downstream from it) and thought I was figured I was probably going to die but I didn't even get sick.
    You're not allowed to confess to drinking untreated water.

You are way too sensible, trustworthy, consistent, and reliable an individual to so blatantly lead unsuspecting novices into wildly irresponsible disregard for basic and proven backcountry water treatment protocols.

Shame on you.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

I had a Steripen about 2 years ago and had enough problems with it to
    toss it in the closet and get a Katadyne Hiker Pro filter. I really like the Steripen
    when it works but missed having a pump to get water out of tough places to
    reach (as in low water duirng dry periods).

Given that all the problems with the Steripen are with the sensors and
    control circuitry, I've considered taking the thing apart and stripping it
    down to UV bulb, switches and battery. Has anyone tried doing this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++