WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

I had a katadyn hiker. It became hard to pump after a month of continuous use.
    David Smolinski

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RWheeler View Post
    I'm curious how easy it would be to field clean. The reviews of it talk about flushing it at home specifically...
    I have a friend who used this on our Chattooga River Trail hike three weeks ago. She had no problem with it and no problem field cleaning it. Her only problem was time. The rest of us were already tanked up and had our water bottles filled while she was unpacking, filling, squeezing and repacking as none of us filter or treat our water.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I view this as an ideal solution for a group (3-4 long-distance hikers), best used in camp. As a solo section hiker I'll be sticking with Aqua Mira and a coffee filter if I need to strain out the floaties.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I prefilter, into the first container with a coffee filter.

There is silt and glacial runoff around here.

That said, I like the Sawyer 0.1 micron filter because it flows fast. I use it in gravity feed.

I have a quick-disconnect for the Platy bladder. I prefer to filter into 1 liter Platys, however.

I think I might like the Squeeze.

I think if I have a problem, I will claim the lifetime guarantee. It doesn't get better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I view this as an ideal solution for a group (3-4 long-distance hikers), best used in camp. As a solo section hiker I'll be sticking with Aqua Mira and a coffee filter if I need to strain out the floaties.
    That depends on how you set it up. When I was a solo hiker I used it inline so that it filtered water as I drank it while hiking. In my opinion using it that way is faster, easier and no heavier than using Aqua Mira.

IMG_5347.jpg

Images

I use the Sawyer 3 way inline both as an inline on my pack and as a gravity system. I used to use it solely as a gravity system by filling a "dirty" bag with water, turning it upside down and letting the water flow through the filter into a clean bag. Since then, I just put water into my pack reservoir and drink it with the filter on the tube. I've thought about mounting near the cap on a 1 liter bottle and just drinking from the filter end, as I rarely carry more than 1 liter when water sources are known and plentiful.

Backflushing is easy in the field and it doesn't need to be a purified source. Just turn the filter around and let water flow through it.

I have a Katadyn mini-filter also. It works fine but is heavier and you have to pump from the source. I prefer not to use chemical treatment as it always adds that taste to the water and I try to drink as little chlorine or iodine as possible. I do carry 10 or so individually wrapped for a backup.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic View Post
    .... Backflushing is easy in the field and it doesn't need to be a purified source. Just turn the filter around and let water flow through it.
    Am I missing something? You put "bad" water into the "good" side of your filter (to backflush) and say that's okay? What is there about these particular filters that I don't understand?

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

So I'm not the only one wondering about that description. I'm hoping he means that he flips his entire gravity filter setup over as opposed to contaminating the clean side of the filter.

Registered User MaggieMaeFlower's Avatar
    Images

I use the Gravityworks Water Filter which functions just like the Sawyer 3-way Inline. I have a custom setup: I ditched the 4 liter clean bag and use my 2 liter reservoir with a hose instead. I also removed the foam "bumpers" from the filter so now the filter itself only weighs 3.2 ounces. I kept the 4 liter "dirty" bag because I really like how easy it is to fill up the large zippered top and it has very nice carrying straps. This gives me the ability to carry 6 liters (which I would never do) or have plenty of water for cooking and refilling my reservoir before taking off in the morning with extra to stare. The backflushing is simple and shown in the "Using the Gravityworks filter" video link below. When it comes time to get a new filter I will try the Sawyer next. The outer shell looks more durable. Gravityworks filters at .2 microns and the Sawyer filters at 0.1 microns. I've also heard that the Sawyer products don't seal well with Platypus products.
    http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/f...filter/product

"Dirty" bag 4 liter 3.1 oz
    Gravityworks Filter 3.2 oz
    Resevoir 2 liter/hose/bitevalve 3.8 oz
    Total 10.1 oz

I gotta give a plus 1 for the sawyer squeeze...I was using aqua mira drops, but I figured I had the sawyer, why not try it? So, I did, and it was awesome! Super quick and easy! The pull cap fits great right inside the opening to my platy. The water tasted great and NOT like a swimming pool! This will definitely be my goto water cleaner...

Quote Originally Posted by High Jacker View Post
    Anyone have any experience with this specifically? Had been using iodine tablets but got tired of them and bought a Sweetwater filter. It broke the second trip out. Saw this online and it looks like a GREAT solution.

http://www.rei.com/product/801824/sa...e-water-filter
    I looked at the REI specs. I didn't see how many gallons of water can be filtered thru the filter before replacing. Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by StichBurly View Post
    I looked at the REI specs. I didn't see how many gallons of water can be filtered thru the filter before replacing. Anyone know?
    I found the info on Sawyers website. They say it's guaranteed for 1 million gallons.

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieMaeFlower View Post
    I've also heard that the Sawyer products don't seal well with Platypus products.
    If you're talking about the quick connects Platypus and Sawyer are identical it's Camelbak that doesn't fit right.

Also is 3.2oz the weight of your filter with water in it because I think it's supposed to be more like 1.8oz?

Journal Entries
    Images

I am missing something too Rain Man... I think you hit it.. back flush with germs on the other side and its done.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

One must certainly back flush with clean water. That said, one can use the filter to get enough water to backflush, then use that water. If I am missing something here I would be happy to hear it.

Registered User MaggieMaeFlower's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
    If you're talking about the quick connects Platypus and Sawyer are identical it's Camelbak that doesn't fit right.

Also is 3.2oz the weight of your filter with water in it because I think it's supposed to be more like 1.8oz?
    It is the weight of 2 small quick connect hoses attached (about 6" each) and probably some water left in there as well from a recent trip.

I'm a HUGE fan as well. Weighs about 2 ounces wet and has never done me wrong.

Also, I contacted Sawyer about putting powder Gatorade or Mio into my bladder and here's what they had to say...

"Yes you can add the powdered drink mixes before the filter if you get
    them completely in solution. Also with the sugar based drinks (like
    Gator-aid and Kool-aid) you must clean the filter after use. Otherwise
    the sugars will crystallize on the fibers (just like when you made rock
    candy as a kid). If this happens you will need to clean with very hot
    water."

Sorry, I misspoke, mine is 3.8 ounces "wet".
    IMG_20120508_225032.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Am I missing something? You put "bad" water into the "good" side of your filter (to backflush) and say that's okay? What is there about these particular filters that I don't understand?

You are not missing something, I screwed up when I wrote that (long day at work). I was addressing someones question about backflushing in the field. I meant that you can use the water that you have, turn the filter around in your line and flush. It doesn't take much. My fault, I apologize.

I use the Sawyer 3 Way as an inline filter and love it..just fill my platy bottle & sip and go which is perfect for me as a solo hiker. In camp you can hang it from a tree and let flow into another water container like a gravity filter. The Sawyer Squeeze is the same filter with a bag attached. Instead of pumping water through a filter you are squeezing water through a filter into seperate water containers. The squeeze is a good group filter and is lighter than pump filters. The Sawyer 3 Way comes with quick disconnect ends that you put in your hydration hose..this allows you to remove the filter from the hose when you want to use it for the other 2 ways. It comes with a short black straw for drinking/filtering out of any container and it also comes with a rubber faucett adaptor for filtering tap water. It was designed for people who backpack and who also travel and want an easy way to filter drinking water.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++