WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    So thanks to Walkinghome, as I stand corrected about the maps origins and such. However, not taking away from my original point of trail clubs being the worst kinds of political groups. Moldy, Id like to see you provide some proof behind your statement with actual cold hard facts that would lead us all to believe trail clubs to be so awful. Do enlighten us!
    On most of my maps, the trails are outlined in RED. Clearly this is a suggestion that Red Commies and pinkos were involved in manufacturing their propoganda trail "finders". Why all red on the Harriman maps?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Best advice I've seen? IF you have to ask if maps are needed or not, you should probably bring them.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    On most of my maps, the trails are outlined in RED. Clearly this is a suggestion that Red Commies and pinkos were involved in manufacturing their propoganda trail "finders". Why all red on the Harriman maps?
    Thats pretty darn funny

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Best advice I've seen? IF you have to ask if maps are needed or not, you should probably bring them.
    Ill second this as best advice, unless you are married,( then you have a spouse to tell you where to go).

I'm slowly changing my opinion on carrying maps. On my 2009 thru I didn't, and got by very well, thank you very much.

But recently I've been carrying maps to play around with shooting bearings and compass stuff. It's been so much fun!

BTW, the Green Mountain Club has a fantastic 7 part basic map and compass video series.

Cheers!

Ill second this as best advice, unless you are married,( then you have a spouse to tell you where to go).
    Dude you are on a roll today

Images

it takes some skill to be able to read a map correctly, and even most topo maps dont always show you the true picture. what may look like an easy bushwack out may be interrupted by a 50 ft cliff that wont show on your topo map with 100' intervals or underbrush so thick you'd need a machete(or lightssaber, invaluable on a thru hike) to hack through it.. Orienteering involves map and compass, and a constant awareness of your surroundings, occasionally looking back where you came (trails can look very different in opposite directions), and getting a"lay of the land"when you reach high points with good visibility.Its good practice to learn to use map and compass. although not completely necessary for hiking the AT, my maps have almost always gotten more use than my knife.so, would you take a knife on a thru hike?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

As a man planning on being married next year, I am starting to realize how true this statement is.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    As a man planning on being married next year, I am starting to realize how true this statement is.
    mags have faith. I was married for 13 years and they were absolutely the best two years of my life!!

Images

I've also noted that in respect to the AT which is always shown in RED, that most BLUE trails always seem more poorly planned, underfunded, and lead one downhill.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Clearly these die hard liberal and commie map printers have an agenda far greater than a mere increased awareness of the interconnectedness of life and preservation of our wild places. remarkably, many of these same are now holding tea parties(shown on AT maps as water sources).
    Love of the trail is their common bond, and thats enough.

Images

The Maine maps have an underlying yellow color with the red on top so I guess they would be cowardly commie pinkos?
    Life is what happens while you are making other plans. John Lennon

I carried a guide book but no maps and had no problems. I think a guide book is a must...mileages, Town info, water sources, shelter info...all very important. There was a few times i wished i had a map but not that often.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WalkinHome View Post
    The Maine maps have an underlying yellow color with the red on top so I guess they would be cowardly commie pinkos?
    that would make no sense at all as cowardly commie pinkos usually bail out between New York and Massachussetts, hardly ever make it to maine.I suspect that the Maine maps are not adhering to the communist propaganda that all other trail clubs and map printers espouse.
    Maine- the way life should be.

CF97 > Everything Else.

Thanks for all the serious responses and the hilarious ones.

The red/yellow outlined trail in Maine is from the Maine Cartographers Union being huge supporters of Mao, Trotsky is their number two guy.
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

Quote Originally Posted by fireneck View Post
    Thanks for all the serious responses and the hilarious ones.

The red/yellow outlined trail in Maine is from the Maine Cartographers Union being huge supporters of Mao, Trotsky is their number two guy.
    typically a trend around here. Just look at what works for you, in the end, thats all that really matters

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++