WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool Glasses vs. Contacts

When you go on a long-distance hike, do you wear glasses or contacts? I currently wear both (at home & on short trips), but I prefer wearing contacts. Recently I've been wondering if I should invest in prescription sunglasses as I start going on longer trips, and skip contacts altogether for hiking trips. I realize this question is generally personal preference, but if you've dealt with one or both could you tell me some pros/cons? Thanks!

I wear prescription eyeglasses that have that auto tint type lenses (forget the name). They work great except for when I sweat heavily or if it's raining. They fog up like a son-of-a-gun too. At these times, I wish I could wear contacts since I'm blind as a bat w/o some correction.

Images

Contacts.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

I wear contacts all the time when I'm not hiking; I'd feel naked without them. Same with hiking. Just be sure to wash your hands prior to handling them, but you already know that. I like to take a little wash basin I made from the bottom third or so of a gallon plastic jug. Free, almost weightless, and since you can store stuff inside of it, doesn't take up any additional space. And it's useful for collecting water from slow springs.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Be sure also to take with your prescription with you in case something happens. I also suggest carrying glasses too in case you run into issues (lost contacts, infection etc) but for some that is cumbersome. But you should at least have a spare set of contacts with you and another set or two that can be mailed out should you use your back up pair.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I prefer glasses....no hassle involved in putting them on, and you don't have to carry around contact solution. However they do tend to fog up a lot, which is slightly annoying.

Images

Contacts for the hike. Glasses at camp.

Noob

I wear glasses almost all the time at home. When hiking, always contacts.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Be sure also to take with your prescription with you in case something happens. I also suggest carrying glasses too in case you run into issues (lost contacts, infection etc) but for some that is cumbersome. But you should at least have a spare set of contacts with you and another set or two that can be mailed out should you use your back up pair.
    Great advice. I do carry spare contacts, and my glasses, since I'm legally blind without some sort of correction. Regarding the glasses, the Dollar General stores carry a nice crushproof case, for, well, $1. Almost weightless, and definitely crush proof, no matter what you do to it. And it came in a nice aqua color that even I can see with naked eyes.

I am not a glasses wearer, but wonder if Rain-X would help for rain and fog (and not ruin the glasses). Also, I am 90% sure that Rain-X is denatured alcohol, which many hikers are already carrying.

Images

They make an anti-fogging gel to put on your glasses. You can get it at the wal-mart vision center.
    I will wear my glasses on my upcoming section hike. Less hassel.

If you go the contacts route, you might consider talking to your eye dr about day and night contacts so that you don't have to take them out daily (experiment with them before hand to be sure you like them).

Glasses for hiking, disposable contacts for backup (I would be blind hiking without either). I can not wear extended wear contacts but that would be a good option too.

Images

I used to wear my contacts but I recently got an eye infection after 4 days of hiking. I figured that my contacts would be OK since they were Night and Days and I wasn't putting them in or taking them out, but I guess something got under them or I rubbed my eye. Will be switching to glasses for future hikes.

As an optometrist, I would suggest not doing the extended wear (overnight wear) with hiking. A lot of matter collects on the lenses, such as pollen, bacteria and smoke from campfires, that will infect or irritate the eyes. Soaking them in multipurpose solution removes 95% of this junk. Also, I woul avoid swimming in contacts at ponds and lakes which have a high count of bacteria. Finally, definitely have back-up glasses and your glasses Rx to be filled if needed. The eyes can usually heal themselves if given enough time out of contacts. Hope this helps.

Wore glasses and then contacts for 15 years before I had LASIK. Went in to LASIK with 20/800 and came out of it at 20/15...Now 12 years later, I find the best is a pair of high quality prescription sunglasses with just a small amount of correction for distance. Gives an ultra sharpness to the trail. Also take along a pair of cheap foldable readers with 2.5 magnification to read the text and elevation markings on trail mapsIf you've never had good prescription sunglasses your missing a lot

I'm going to second LeanTree's suggestion.

I thur'd in 2010 wearing contacts that I only have to take out once a month. It worked perfectly. I always had my glasses as back up and at least one spare pair. I'd just change them out when I was a hostel/hotel/etc at some date near the end of the month. I personally had no problems with dry eyes or anything, but not everyone can wear them. There are rewetting drops you can get to add in teh morning if you need them. I triedn them out about 2 months before hiking off. I'm glad I did - made life a lot easier than those folks dealy with glasses. Frankly, I liken it to having had Lasik w/out the risk.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trail View Post
    As an optometrist, I would suggest not doing the extended wear (overnight wear) with hiking. A lot of matter collects on the lenses, such as pollen, bacteria and smoke from campfires, that will infect or irritate the eyes. Soaking them in multipurpose solution removes 95% of this junk. Also, I woul avoid swimming in contacts at ponds and lakes which have a high count of bacteria. Finally, definitely have back-up glasses and your glasses Rx to be filled if needed. The eyes can usually heal themselves if given enough time out of contacts. Hope this helps.
    I wish I would have read this before my section hike!

Thanks for all the comments! I have extended wear contacts, but it's too dry for me living in the Rockies to wear them overnight-so I'm not sure how they'd work for me in a more humid climate. But I'll keep these ideas in mind and see what works. (If I could afford LASIK right now, that's what I'd do for sure!) Thanks again!

I got lasik in 2004 and never regretted it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++