WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thought that in light of some of the comments, I would share a little of my personal history for those of you who don't know me, which is probably most of you.
    In 1997, my marriage fell apart; I was 36 and had worked minimum wage retail jobs for 15 years. In order to clear my mind and decide where I was to go next, I took a seasonal job at LeConte Lodge in the Smokies. I also worked as a winter caretaker that year. While there, one of my co-workers who was the same age as I and a former thru-hiker, had worked in the outdoors since his early 20's. Caretaker at Stratton Pond. Long Trail patrol. Various trail crews-he was part of the crew that replace the roof on Chestnut Knob Shelter in the 90's. Sounded like a cool lifestyle, but I thought I was too old to be doing that kind of work. The next year, I worked for ATC in Boiling Springs. Then I spent two years working as a full time backcountry ranger at Mt Rogers NRA. Not a lot of money-$15/day and a place to stay-but it was there I learned the foundations of trail construction. Then I spent two seasons working for the Florida Trail Association. Then MATC. Then Cumberland Trail Conference in TN. I worked for a private trail contractor out of GA for a year. For a couple of years, I worked for this guy who owned 300 acres along the Gauley River in WV. Quite the playground as well. Then AMC. With each seasonal position, my experience grew. With each position, I seemed to be making more money than previously. I had no other means of support.If I wasn't working, I typically went hiking. You can live cheaply on the trail. I now work for the National Park Service in Shenandoah NP, in the trails division. Good money, definitely a "dream job" for most hikers. I hike every day, and get paid to do it, along with some work.

I'm not a trustafarian. I have no other means of income other than the jobs that I have worked at. This is not work I would have envisioned myself doing. In all honesty, I used to work in land surveying in my early 20's but hated being outside so I quit!

The moral of this story is that you can make a living out of hiking. Think outside the box, and be willing to start small. But keep at it, even when it just doesn't seem like things are working out. But I still feel like I'm too old to be doing this kind of work.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

There are a lot of good perspectives offered here. It seems like the bottom line is that you have to consider what the tradeoffs are and if you are willing to make them. You can probably make a career related to hiking work, but it may not put your kids through college or seem as attractive when you're as old as I am. In my case, I hope to sell my business in a year or two and then do what I want, which will include a thru hike. On the other hand, I have been waiting for a long damn time, too long for many people. Barring that winning lottery ticket, you have to pick your poison.

Journal Entries
    Images

Randy & Sheri from "Get Out More" Backpacker magazine have a pretty sweet deal! They were discovered from thru hiking
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Nail View Post
    Maintaining you current job while hiking is not really hiking for pay, Its more of a remote office with horrible signal, spotty 3/4G, no wifi and limited power. LOL
    Haha, true. But it'll be nice to know that i'll still be making money while away which will alleviate some of the financial strain while on the trail. I don't really want to have to bring a mobile office but it's pretty much the only way I'll be able to go. Just checkin' in when I get to towns and get coverage in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    Randy & Sheri from "Get Out More" Backpacker magazine have a pretty sweet deal! They were discovered from thru hiking
    They are awesome. See them at Trail Days and at various points along the trail.

One thing I have discovered is that if you are a young person and have the means to do so, try to work for the AMC on the Hut Croo or campsites. Everyone we have met at the sites this year and in the past are really awesome and love what they do. You run into the occasional spoiled brats that are just rude. If I had known about these jobs when I was a teenager, I wouldnt have even hesitated.

Garlic
    Images

Many have told me I should write a book about my hikes, supposedly to cash in on them. But I'm not a writer, nor have I done anything especially full of valor or ultra-exciting, nothing that hundreds or thousands of other thru hikers haven't done already, many times. The travel/adventure books I've enjoyed have been written by very talented writers who have a marketable "angle"--self-deprecating humor, incredible personal insight, superb photography skills, an ability to develop characters in print, an extremely traumatic event, etc.

I respect and patronize good travel writers. When I think of the hundreds of hours of writing and editing I would need for a decent manuscript, and the likely pittance in return, I'd rather do something else for better pay.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I'vee found that writing as a side hobby gives me much satisfaction. Between my website and the free lance articles I've done this past year, gives me a chance to make my passion at least a small part of what I do. But, if I were to dedicate myself full time to writing, improve my craft a bit to get to the next level (local paper vs a national magazine possibly?) of free lancing..hell, I'd starve. I need to marry someone who will support me a bit. Alas, my fiance' makes LESS money than me!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    One thing I have discovered is that if you are a young person and have the means to do so, try to work for the AMC on the Hut Croo or campsites. Everyone we have met at the sites this year and in the past are really awesome and love what they do. You run into the occasional spoiled brats that are just rude. If I had known about these jobs when I was a teenager, I wouldnt have even hesitated.
    They like people who do volunteer work first from what I understand. Come to think of it, that's how people get MANY outdoor related jobs. Volunteer a few weeks on a trail crew, network and get to know people. For schlubs w/o connections (like me!), it is the best way to get these coveted jobs.
    Last edited by Mags; 09-14-2011 at 09:25.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't kidding about the early retirement thing. Try to work it out so that you are saving at least 3/4 of your income. Eat beans and rice and live in your truck or in a tiny apartment within walking distance of your job. Work two jobs if you have to. Do this for 5 years or however long it takes to save up a few hundred grand and then become a capitalist living off the interest/dividends. People do it but these people tend to forgo wasting money buying useless crap, something most people are unwilling to do. By useless crap we're talking about paying for internet, tv, cellphones, electronic stuff, paying other people to fix your things when you could do it yourself, buying pre-made food, eating out, eating expensively, buying anything new, owning a car. Of course, you can do gradations of this but it'll take longer than 5 years to get there.
    http://earlyretirementextreme.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    Why didn't I think of that - eat beans and rice/live in my truck for 5 or so years so I can afford to eat beans and rice/live in my truck for the rest of my life! Ain't life grand?
    Yeah why not live in a van down by the river.

Quote Originally Posted by dapperd View Post
    yeah why not live in a van down by the river:d.
    la dee freakin da

I think the key is to remain single and do what you want with your life. I'm not there yet, but working on it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++