WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spot

Images

Default Spot

Would like to hear comments from those of you who used the SPOT on the AT. Was it worth it? Any problems with it?
    Seek, and you shall find.

You really dont need it for the AT, just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKER- View Post
    Would like to hear comments from those of you who used the SPOT on the AT. Was it worth it? Any problems with it?
    I played with the first version. It was useful for sending "OK messages" once at camp. It was TOTALLY WORTHLESS in tracking mode. If there was one freaking tree around SPOT would not produce a good track.

I hear the newer version is better but have not used it.

Worth it? It does almost nothing for the hiker. If it makes your loved ones back home more comfortable, it has a value.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Made it from Springer to Franchonia Notch without one, but toying with the idea of using one next year through the rest of NH and ME.

Made it from Springer to Franchonia Notch without one, but toying with the idea of using one next year through the rest of NH and ME.
    Id say it depends on when you are hiking. You would almost be better off just carrying a cell phone. The AT up here gets really crowded so people would be around. Not much solitude on the AT.

I mostly heard thru hikers curse their SPOT device daily. IMO, you're better off carrying an equal weight in Snicker bars.

Images

My Hubby has been looking over my shoulder while I read trail Journals. So far he has seen cases of two broken legs and a broken hip in NH and ME recently. Also, a friend fell in 2010 and broke her wrist in ME and had to be rescued. I usually get cell service to check in, but had some problems at the higher elevations in VT and NH this year when the weather was bad.

I use the Spot 2. Do I need it? Probably not. Does it make my wife feel better when I hike alone. Yes. I will continue to use it because of it gives her peace of mind.

My Hubby has been looking over my shoulder while I read trail Journals. So far he has seen cases of two broken legs and a broken hip in NH and ME recently. Also, a friend fell in 2010 and broke her wrist in ME and had to be rescued. I usually get cell service to check in, but had some problems at the higher elevations in VT and NH this year when the weather was bad.
    Well its a reality that accidents happen. I get cell reception in the Pemi and its one of the more remote areas of the Whites. The people I know that did carry a SPOT in 08, usually sent it home after Trail Days. Thruhikers and hikers in general tend to travel in packs. The only time we were really alone was in Mass/ Vermont and it was intentional. We purposely spaced ourselves to have solitude for a couple of days but we still saw plenty of people either day hikers or sectioners. You will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by XrayDuke View Post
    I use the Spot 2. Do I need it? Probably not. Does it make my wife feel better when I hike alone. Yes. I will continue to use it because of it gives her peace of mind.
    very valid reason for carrying one

The current safety mantra is to "rely on your skills not your technology".

Heck even the SPOT website says:

"Know how to read a compass and map. Handheld GPS Devices are useful, but should not replace navigation skills"

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    "Know how to read a compass and map. Handheld GPS Devices are useful, but should not replace navigation skills"
    I made my kids learn how to use, and carry, a slide rule. Those new-fangled calculator contraptions can break...........
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Just remember, in a pinch you can slice cheese with a slide rule, not a calculator.

Images

I was mainly considering the use of one for the sake of my Hubby. If he doesn't hear from me for more than two days he may freak. I thought with a SPOT I could send an OK signal in case of no cell reception. Just a thought. If I did decide to go with one I would probably see if someone on here wanted to sell theirs, assuming that service can be purchased by someone other than the original owner.

I was mainly considering the use of one for the sake of my Hubby. If he doesn't hear from me for more than two days he may freak. I thought with a SPOT I could send an OK signal in case of no cell reception. Just a thought. If I did decide to go with one I would probably see if someone on here wanted to sell theirs, assuming that service can be purchased by someone other than the original owner.
    Good enough reason to get one

Images

I used a SPOT "1" for 3 years and this season flipped over to the newer SPOT 2. Like others
    have said, it's value is more to keep the folks back home happy. If they are happy, then you
    get to go hiking. And if you get to go hiking, then you are happy. The tracking mode with SPOT 2
    seems to work better - maybe the 2 has a little more transmit power. Tracking service costs a
    lot extra and isn't needed if you just want to check in once a day. On the other hand, you can
    upload your trips to the SPOT Adventure site which provides journal and picture slide show support.
    I'm happy with the SPOT 2 - it works as advertised.

Journal Entries
    Images

I solo, I carry one, the loved ones are at peace. Makes my days in the woods much more enjoyable
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Quote Originally Posted by XrayDuke View Post
    Yep. When momma is happy, everyone is happy.

Garlic
    Images

The first time I saw a SPOT, it was sitting alone in a shelter on the AT. Someone either forgot to pack it, or intentionally left it behind. Either way, it wasn't doing much good. (Maybe it was the governor of SC or something like that.) The next time I saw one was on a steep grade in the North Cascades. The hiker was so loaded with gadgets and was struggling so much with his huge pack, it looked like he was about to need the SPOT. Then there was the news story a couple years ago about the inexperienced group in the Grand Canyon who pushed "help" three times on one trip, once because the water tasted salty. There have been lots of false alarms from those. I was a volunteer firefighter in a mountainous area and I responded to a few.

I'll agree with those noting that the SPOT is more for those at home than for those on the trail. If you carry one, please get very familiar with it and guard it in your pack so you don't push the wrong buttons.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post

I'll agree with those noting that the SPOT is more for those at home than for those on the trail. If you carry one, please get very familiar with it and guard it in your pack so you don't push the wrong buttons.
    Can't you just keep them turned off until you want to use it to "check in"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++