WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pack Cover or Dry Sack?

Hey all you gear gurus!

I have a question: Which do you prefer for rainy days, a waterproof pack cover or a dry sack inside your pack?

I saw both used when I hiked from Harpers Ferry to Bear Mountain this past summer, and I'm considering which route I should go for my 2012 thru-hike. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

The dry sack is absolutely foolproof, but takes up some amount of extra room in the pack. The pack cover is more versatile in that it can be used to protect other parts of the pack (I've used mine to keep my straps and padding clean-ish when laying my pack on the ground to avoid extra dust and mud) and other items as the need arises. The cover tends to be lighter than the dry sack as well. But, rain can get beneath a cover, and the cover can't offer full pack protection. The cover also does nothing if you dump the pack in a creek during a crossing.

Monadnock,

If we are talking about a really rainy day (not just a drizzle or temporary showers!!!) then you want BOTH a pack cover and your pack lined with a dry sack or some 100% waterproof trash bag. A pack cover absolutely will NOT keep you gear dry through prolonged downpours. I know this from experience. Rain finds its way underneath if not through.

The advantage of a pack cover is that it will lesson how much your pack material gets soaked. If it rains hard enough long enough it, water will soak through the pack cover. But without the pack cover.. you gear in the pack can still be protected by the pack lining but the pack itself would get so soaked that the weight saved by leaving the pack cover home would be more than made up for by the extra weight of the pack due to the added water that soaked into it.

For any long hike in wet conditions double bag you pack. double waterproof bag your sleeping bag, and anything else you wan't to keep dry.

davidnh

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    Monadnock,

.... A pack cover absolutely will NOT keep you gear dry through prolonged downpours. I know this from experience. Rain finds its way underneath if not through...

davidnh
    I agree with davidnh. My down bag and clothes get stowed inside a trash compactor bag and always stay dry.

I have cursed my pack cover on many occasions however.

Images

Like others, I use both. I line the inside of my pack with a thick trash bag all the time and then use a pack cover when it's raining and to cover my pack at night (I hammock mostly).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Monadnock View Post
    hich do you prefer for rainy days, a waterproof pack cover or a dry sack inside your pack?
    No doubt about it, a trash compactor bag inside my pack. It will keep your stuff dry AND is multi-function. You can use it for other things.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Trash compactor bag inside. Cuban fiber bags for my clothes and sleeping bag. Sil nylon pack cover (I have a sea to summit one).

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Monadnock View Post
    Hey all you gear gurus!

I have a question: Which do you prefer for rainy days, a waterproof pack cover or a dry sack inside your pack?

I saw both used when I hiked from Harpers Ferry to Bear Mountain this past summer, and I'm considering which route I should go for my 2012 thru-hike. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
    I buy the el cheapo waterproof storage bags from walmart and put everything into them. You can pick up a set of 3 for a a few dollars. It helps me to sort my stuff and protects it. I use the roll down buckle type.

Images

Wouldn't the weight of the pack cover make up for the weight of the water that a pack could absorb when rained on? I plan on taking both with me, and if it's any more than a drizzle, I'll probably throw the cover on just to attempt to keep everything as dry as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by RWheeler View Post
    Wouldn't the weight of the pack cover make up for the weight of the water that a pack could absorb when rained on? I plan on taking both with me, and if it's any more than a drizzle, I'll probably throw the cover on just to attempt to keep everything as dry as possible.
    IMO, a pack cover ONLY helps in keeping water weight off the pack. A light weight pack cover (cuben for example) keeps more water off your pack than the weight of the cover itself. A pack cover is NOT to be used as your insurance for keeping your gear dry. That goes to dry sacks or pack LINERS. Some water will find its way into your pack with continued rain even if you use a pack cover.

I am prob in the minority, but I do not like trash compactor liners. I feel they take away from my ability to use my pack. I use multiple individual dry sacks for my clothing and bag.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Garlic
    Images

I use the trash compactor bag successfully. I check it for pinholes often and patch with duct tape, since it's my only protection. On the AT, where there were many opportunities to sit down out of the rain in shelters, I kept a light jacket in a ziplock bag on top so I wouldn't have to unload half my pack to get to the dry bag, which was always on the bottom, under the wet shelter and food bag. And my pack is made of silnylon, which does not absorb water weight, so I had no reason to cover it.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    And my pack is made of silnylon, which does not absorb water weight, so I had no reason to cover it.
    I know my sil tents sure holds enough water. They may not "absorb" water but they sure hold water on their surface.
    I am getting a cuben-fiber pack (Zpacks) soon, might come tomorrow. Cuben fiber sheds water VERY well. I could def see going sans pack cover with that thing. For my ULA Catalyst a lightweight pack cover def helps keep the water weight off the pack.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I like to use both...but when I pack, the liner (or "happy sack") is required gear for me while the pack cover is optional.

I used one for awhile, then got rid of it. One less piece of gear to worry about. My pack really does not absorb that much water.

Journal Entries
    Images

If I had to choose between the two. Pack Cover, On my current pack Altmos 65, the cover fits alot tighter then on my old Kelty Super Tioga. With the 600 miles on the current pack which does not include week long drenchings, which at my age are difficult. I've found the cover keeps my stuff dry in two days rain with plastic bags over my bag and pad. Quite frankly I'm not sure what a dry sack is, plastic bags weigh nothing even at my age.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I just pushed th button on a pair of Zpacks Pack Liner Dry Bags. We'll use these along with lightweight pack covers

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/dry_bags.shtml
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Journal Entries

Return the z-packs drybags when you get them. They are sewn and need to be seam sealed. They are sewn down the side and bottom, where the bag creases to be folded naturally. This folding ends up causing the seam sealer (which doesnt adhere to cuben really well anyway) to come off.

Buy cuben drybags from either Mountainfitter (Lawson) or MLD. They are taped and fully water proof.

CF97 > Everything Else.

Quote Originally Posted by lush242000 View Post
    I buy the el cheapo waterproof storage bags from walmart and put everything into them. You can pick up a set of 3 for a a few dollars. It helps me to sort my stuff and protects it. I use the roll down buckle type.
    Good to know! I saw those the other day and was wondering if anyone used them. I think I will be a big spender and invest in some
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

Images

Default Liner & Dry sacks

I use a 6mil plastic bag as a pack liner, then everything goes into dry sacks. I prefer to be very organized, so the weight penalty is something I can live with. I also keep a couple of spare 20" x 26" 2mil bags. If I think I may have any trouble making a water crossing, my sleeping bag and the few other items that I must keep dry, go into them and are sealed (knotted) then back into the dry sack. I can also tie the bag liner off, to make it as water resistant as possible. I have also treated my pack (Flash65) with the same spray DWR treatment that I used on my tent, to try to minimize water from soaking in.

Knock wood! this system has worked well for me. YMMV

Out west I carry a pack cover and rarely feel the need for anything more. On the A.T. I carried both a pack cover and a liner (trash compactor bag) and was very thankful to have them both.
    This is an adventure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++