WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    NOBOs take precedence over SOBOs in all matters.

Really
    Dem's fightin' words.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by I'm gimpy View Post
    This also applies for the lowly section hiker too
    Why is a section hiker lowly?

They are the most disciplined, most courageous, able to withstand pain and with unwavering fortitude - hike one week, with blisters and pain galore, wait to next season and have to suffer it all over again while enjoying their hike immensely.

Hiking Blog

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Really
    Dem's fightin' words.

Blissful, you're my #1 favorite SOBO.I always enjoy your posts.
    and you've taught me a few things.

CF97 > Everything Else.

Quote Originally Posted by lush242000 View Post
    You get $5 every time someone says "tarptent" on the trail.
    How much money if someone says, "light weight" on trail?
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fireneck View Post
    How much money if someone says, "light weight" on trail?
    I dont know but its ten dollars for "big three".

I guess the AT culture has a lot of these things called "challenges." If you go on to hike the PCT, please note that many of these "challenges" seem childish and stupid and you will probably be criticized by some of the trail angels and possibly some of the other hikers as well for some of the dumber ones. In fact, if you do anything particularly stupid, irresponsible or illegal, it will fire up the chain of trail angels. They have email and they know how to use it!
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

CF97 > Everything Else.

I dont know but its ten dollars for "big three".
    big three?
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

Quote Originally Posted by fireneck View Post
    big three?
    Sleep system, shelter, backpack
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Journal Entries

Default thru hikers...

Thru hikers are nothing but section hikers that hike their sections closer together.

When I hear of someone hiking the trail without ever getting off it, without going into town, without sleeping in hotel or hostel, or without eating at a restraunt, then I will believe that a "thru" hiker exists.

Thru hikers are not to be reverred. They just think they should be

And just respect other people with things like dogs, smoking and noise after dark. (Hiker bedtime is sunset) And remember that shetlers and picnic tables are communal, so share the space, but that's just common sense. Follow that and you're fine.

Images

dont spread your crap all over the shelter make room for others -dont smoke in shelters- leave your guitar at home -dont bore others with a know it all attitude about gear dont discuss politics religion or sports be quiet when others are trying to sleep
    hillbilly

About dogs:

Someone hit the nail on the head with dont ask others if they mind if you bring your dog in. Maybe its obvious but maybe it does need to be said why. Its because most people in trying to be courteous will just say "sure, cmon in!" while behind their teeth are cursing you and your dog with every breath.

I think most hikers, myself included, actually dont mind dogs once they realize that the dog is trail-trained. That means training them to stay out of stuff, not drink from water sources until commanded where to drink, not barking or chasing wildlife/hikers(redundant?), going off trail to do their business, etc... On my thru I experienced untrained dogs tracking water and mud on my sleeping bag, digging in my pack when i wasnt looking, and just running wild barking at anyone and everything because the owners didnt care or thought it was funny.

A problem dog on the trail you're aware of every second. A well trained dog you'll forget is even there.
    "...Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation." -Blind Seer, O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlo View Post
    And just respect other people with things like dogs, smoking and noise after dark. (Hiker bedtime is sunset) And remember that shetlers and picnic tables are communal, so share the space, but that's just common sense. Follow that and you're fine.
    So what time do hikers wake up? Just because someone is in their sleeping bag at 8:30 doesn't mean everyone else has to be. Always ticks me off when people think it's ok to make all sorts of noise at 5 am, yet were intolerant of those that aren't asleep at sunset. Just be respectful, there is no such thing as hiker's midnight.

Journal Entries

Don't bring your puppies,(unless they're firm and beautiful)
    Their paws are too soft for a long hike and you'll only injure them
    And don't crap on the trail and disguise it as 'Dog ****'
    The well travelled thru-hiker knows the difference....
    And don't leave your trash in the firepits unless it's burnable....
    However, leaving a pile of wet kindle under a shelter to dry out is always a nice welcome for the next night's weary traveller
    Man, I love the trail...

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

1) Don't take advantage of trail providers.2) Don't expect to get fed for free at every road crossing.3) Pay your own way.4) Act like you've got some sense.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

I never had an issue with section hikers. I never felt like I was better than them, either. I met quite a few that I still keep in contact with. Getting on the AT, for any length of time, is an amazing journey. It is cool that they can do that. I live far enough away where gas prices are prohibitive to me visiting the AT regularly.

As far as etiquette goes, a lot of the societal "norms" can be ignored on the trail. People get on there to generally get away from that high strung crap, and relax.

When it is raining, there is always room for one more in the shelter.

Nothing irked me more on my thru than seeing trash on the trail and trash at shelters and campsites. If you are too lazy to pack out what you pack in, you have no business being on the trail. Leaving your trash in a firepit and expecting someone else to take care of it for you should be punishable by death.

Sharing food, either on the trail or in town, is one of the greatest gifts a person can give. The person who packs out a box of cookies to share with everyone at the shelter is a king of the earth, a god among men.

As for the thru-hiker/section hiker relationship, I can honestly say that never once did I wish I was section hiker, but at the same time I was envious of every section hiker I met. Both are great ways to hike the trail, but for different reasons.
    This is an adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Why is a section hiker lowly?

They are the most disciplined, most courageous, able to withstand pain and with unwavering fortitude - hike one week, with blisters and pain galore, wait to next season and have to suffer it all over again while enjoying their hike immensely.
    I was just playing off of a earlier post. I am a section hiker and we are far from "lowly". But I will say this much, sectioners and thru's all stink the same. I think thats one of our common bonds!
    You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim, the mountian's got its own ways.
    -"BearClaw" Chris Lapp-

Journal Entries
    Images

Blissful, you're my #1 favorite SOBO.I always enjoy your posts.
    and you've taught me a few things.
    Just saw this. I've been away. Thanks

Hiking Blog

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by I'm gimpy View Post
    I was just playing off of a earlier post. I am a section hiker and we are far from "lowly". But I will say this much, sectioners and thru's all stink the same. I think thats one of our common bonds!
    There you go Got that right. If we don't all stink together we most assuredly will all stink separately. (!)

Hiking Blog

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++