WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Occasionally lucid

Quote Originally Posted by Wobegon View Post
    .8 miles into the NOC
    Likewise. NOC is popular!
    GA -> ME
    '86 -> '89

I did a one mile day from Jim & Molly Denton shelter to Linden, VA and we stayed at some guys house there. Awesome day!

Once when solo winter camping in the Catskills I woke up, did the breakfast thing, packed up and made one last cup of coffee. I was going to bag a couple of peaks on a loop hike/2 nd over niter. Then the feces contacted the ventilator and it started to freezing rain so I moved to the other end of the lean-to and watched as 1.5 inches of ice formed on EVERYTHING. I had to slide out the next day for real. So I went about 10 feet that day. A good day!

On my '91 thru hike two other guys and I camped on the west bank of the Kennebec. We forded in the morning, and spent the next day & night at the hostel over the general store in Caratunk. Total distance about 0.3 miles. It was an exhausting crossing.

2002 .2....tore down camp, hiked up the trail and found a beautiful campsite...and stayed.

1990 I hiked .8 down the trail and then .8 back to my camp w/o moving camp...to the beer distributor...3 days in a row!

geek

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    .5 mile out of Overmountain Shelter, turned around in high wind and rain, went back to the shelter and spent a miserable day of pacing to keep warm and had no food. Worst day of 2007.
    Blissfull so it's raining like crazy out side.. cold as hell.. no one is in shelter with you.. you have no food.. and the whole day and night to kill. Man hiking just can't get any worse than that! Hope you at least had a book to read.. just to keep sanity!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I took a nero in Gorham, NH and the next day when I started hiking towards the trail I turned around before I left the hotel parking lot and took a full zero. Until I hit Glencliff I had been averaging 25-26 miles a day but the Whites just flat kicked my butt and I needed a good rest before I hit ME.

But, last Thursday was my shortest "real" hiking day - 4 miles from Spivey's Gap to No Business Knob shelter. I'm amazed I made it that far - I had a CBC done Friday after I got back and my hemoglobin is 10.8 and dropping.

Journal Entries
    Images

In 78 the gig broke his leg one morning. Not sure if we were in NC or Tenn, what happened is we vectored in a Marine Dust off even though we were ex 508 & 325 from the 82nd. All I got to say is thank you to the Marine who was covering the radio.

Images

A group of us got a ride from Waynesboro back to skyline drive where we noticed a group of previous thru hikers had set up some trail magic. After they stuffed us full of food and beer, it started to rain and we all went back into town to the hotel. Probably walked about 50 feet from where we were dropped off to the trail magic. That was a good day.

.2 -- Watauga Lake Shelter to Watauga Lake. Left the shelter late and met a crew set up right on the lakeshore. Dogs, beer, music. The next day, Watauga Lake to Damascus was my longest day, 41 miles.
    Yahtzee

i woke up to an all day rain at Eliza brook shelter, there was a couple that was tented out in front of the shelter, they head over to the creek to check it out
    then they went back to break camp, 45 minutes later when they made thier way back to the creek, it was raging, then they went back to set up thier tent.
    they might of gained a foot or two on the trail, from the previous day

Images

2 miles.

This year, after sectioning New Jersey, I blistered my feet badly on the section between the NY/NJ line and NY 17A. Made it to Wildcat and then decided to call off my hike as I was largely disabled. Took me about 2 hours to cover the 2 miles to NY 17A.

Should have stealth camped closer to the highway and had a 200 yard day.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

Tiorati circle to what's now Wm. Brien Shelter. Maybe a mile on snowshoes. Nice overnight with my dad.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++