WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default My new hiking buddy

Just popping in to say that I've been taking the German Shepherd I rescued a few weeks ago on short day hikes and yesterday we went on our first overnighter.

What great fun! Drake stays on trail, 10-15' in front or behind me, doesn't chase animals or people and doesn't bark. Very well behaved.

I don't think I'll be taking him on long hikes but I'm really looking forward to taking him on some weekend / 30-45 mile hikes.

I've got a lot of questions - like how far can a dog reasonably walk in 1 day or over a 3 day period, how much cold they can handle, etc. but I'll dig through the forum before I ask specifics.

Images

So you don't leash him.......why. And the "because he's different from other dogs and won't run off or chase anyone" is not acceptable.

That's right, though I have his lead handy. He stays with me and he doesn't run up on other hikers.

I'm still figuring this out and having been backed up against a tree by a loose "friendly" hiking dog I know exactly what you're talking about.

Hash House Harrier

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit View Post
    So you don't leash him.......why. And the "because he's different from other dogs and won't run off or chase anyone" is not acceptable.
    It's nice that you feel secure enough in your evaluation of 10K's dog's personality, without even meeting it, to demand an explanation like that and delineate what is and is not "acceptable". It's also nice that you're confident enough to cop an attitude with one of the most helpful and experienced people on the forum.

Wait, my mistake, neither of those things are nice. They say dogs are good judges of personality; no wonder you want them kept under restraint around you.
    Though much is taken, much abides, and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
    One equal temper of heroic hearts.

Journal Entries
    Images

10-K,
    I had one of those dogs when i was a kid and lovedhim!!!It's the only true friend anyone can have!!!HYOH..HS

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Tim View Post
    They say dogs are good judges of personality; no wonder you want them kept under restraint around you.
    OUCH!!! Now that was a zinger!!

Images

On the trail they belong on a leash - period. An unleashed dog is a good sign of the owner's personality - - arrogant, swaggering, "my dog is better than that", dog is the center of the universe, completely thoughtless towards other hikers. 10-K himself said he was backed up by a "friendly" dog. I've been charged by far too may "oh, he's just a sweetheart" dogs who "just wants to be friendly." I've even had my dinner eaten while it was next to me and I had looked away for just a few seconds. I'll bring my grandson into a restaurant you're in, let him bother you incessantly, dump a glass of juice into your lap and when you complain I'll make sure to accuse you of being a child hater.

I can see both sides, but I didn't mean to turn this into a referendum on leashed dogs.

I've never hiked with a dog and I don't have any experienced hiking with a dog but we'll figure it out and you can bet I won't have a dog that bothers other hikers - whatever that looks like.

In fact, I don't hike around other people even when I'm by myself.

Lil bit please relax and stop attacking the man already. The way you talk maybe dogs know to bother you because you hate them.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

10-K I saw your previous thread about Drake and the photos you included pictures. It's absolutely great that you were willing to take on such a loving dog that you knew would require so much attention. You've probably already found this out, but with a good dog you will get much more love and loyalty out of the relationship than you ever could put in.

As far as your questions go, Mileage depends entirely on the dog. Drake will follow you as far you hike without fail, so it's your job to keep an eye on him and be willing to adjust your distance and pace on his needs. He can't tell you when he's had too much, when he's hurting, if his pads are raw, or if he's cracked a nail down to the quick. Just start slow and work up to it like you already are doing. I'm not sure the age of your dog, but this will factor in as well, dogs that are too young or too old they shouldn't expected to go as far as ones in their prime.

As far as leashes, I always use one but I do so for my own reasons not anybody else's. I'd be glad to share my thought's on PM, but I'm not going to help hijack a thread over the subject.

Keep up the good work.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Default Dogs on Hikes

I hiked with my dog for 12 years until she had to be put down due to diabetes. The last hike we were to go on it pored down rain and I didn't bring her. She never made another hike with me. Had I of known I would have brought her wet fur and all.

She was well behaved around humans but not very social with other dogs, she hiked about 10 ft in front of me and if I stopped, she stopped. If I didn't continue walking within a few seconds she would come back to me. I kept her lease on my waist belt at all times and if I saw another person with a dog heading toward me I would lease her and step 5-6 ft off the trail and advise the person that she wasn't friendly with other dogs. Most times they would let their dog invade her space as I would again request they back away. In a shelter she sat or laid beside me on her own small ground pad or at the foot of my sleeping bag. At night I'd open the bag and share with her. I didn't let her beg or bother people. As careful as I was she once got a guys food, he sat the bag on the ground to rehydrate/cook and she got it that fast! I don;'t know why he sat the food on the ground instead of the picnic table. I apologized and offered to share my meal but he had extra food (weekend hiker.)

Although she was a pretty good dog she was still A DOG, and a dog will do what a dog will do! I once was bit by a buddy's dog on a hike. The dog knew me, had known me for several years but he was out of his normal surroundings and reacted.

10K, hike with your new friend, enjoy your time together. There's no feeling like sharing a view with your pet. I have a picture of Jessie and I looking out over a wonderful view near Priest Mt shelter. But please remember that this is a fairly new pet and needs to be handled properly until you both are able to react together . I'm thinking of the dogs safety as well as other hikers.

Thanks for info! Here's some pics of our overnighter yesterday. He's an amazing animal and right now when I'm on all these energy sapping meds 5-8 miles a day is just fine with me.

DSCF5771.jpgDSCF5773.jpgDSCF5774.jpgDSCF5788.jpgDSCF5790.jpgDSCF5792.jpgDSCF5793.jpgDSCF5794.jpgDSCF5795.jpg

Great you got yourself a hiking partner. My lab is getting alittle long in tooth, but I wish I could take him on one more hike, hips getting bad.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

10-K He's looking even better now than in the last pictures you posted!
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

OK you got tears out of me he is beautiful and you said rescued makes me so happy it looks like he is going to have a wonderful rest of life. A dog truly is a great companion. I have a chihuahua that I dearly love but would love to have a hiking buddy dog.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Journal Entries

10-k Congrats on the new friend! Also I am pretty new to WB and appreciate all the knowledge you share. I hike with a a rott/hound mix I got from the pound a few months ago. First we started out in the desert with no leash, now when we are on the trail I try to practice the sit/stay when other hikers are oncoming he picked it up pretty fast and is sarting to do it automaticaly when he sees other hikers approaching. Not saying all dogs should do this but all dogs should be trained well enough to sit/stay/come when called for their safety. Miles depend on the dog, but like us they will get their hiking legs with training. Cold is also different with different breeds, had a terrier that would shiver if it was under 55f and had a long hair sheppard that would sleep under snow banks. Again thanks for sharing your experience & many happy miles with the new hiking partner.

Congratulations!

Images

Cool dog.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

I take my dog with me often, she has to stay on a leash because she's a beagle. Because I have to keep her on a leash we don't go over night. She will do 10 miles a day no problem. We did 6-10 miles every day during the summer when I don't have to work. She will also struggle with the heat or cold in the first day or two until she adjusts because she's normally a house dog.

I know I get more enjoyment out of hiking with her, than with anyone else. I rescued my dog also. Saved her at the last minute as she was on the table getting ready to be put down and they let me know they had one more dog in the back I could see and I chose her. She was actually supposed to be put down the week before but they were so backed up they never got to her. She's a beagle but I've only heard her bark a handful of times, except when she's asleep, she barks almost every night in her dreams.

Registered User Bama Jack & Sadie's Avatar
    Images

Nice pup 10K. Your dog will always outlast you on the trail for the most part. I'm an off leash guy myself but Sadie comes when I call her to get on leash as we meet other hikers and she stays on leash around camp especially around dinner. You are absolutely correct about being the best hiking partner for sure. They never complain, never cancel because they have this or that come up and always want to go where ever you want to go and at whatever pace suits you. One tip, talk with your vet about first aid supplies. Not talking bandages and that but the benedryl anti-inflammatory stuff in the event of a snake bit and such. Happy Trails!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++