WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

OK, I'm almost sorry for presenting my thoughts earlier on this now that I see the cyber fighting going on.
    It's not as big of a deal as some of you are making it.
    I believe Bill Bryson didn't really come with the sole intention of completing and end to end thru-hike.
    He came to write a book.

I just remember my first time at Amicalola and my feelings of "can't wait to get started"

I'm sure there are some who will stay at this lodge and complete their hike.
    There will also be some who won't.

It's the mindset that matters.

My favorite thru-hike quote (from Grandma Gatewood): "It's more head than heel"
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

The title of this thread cracks me up!

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
    I wish I could have stayed at the lodge. I had 2 nights and all day on the train (and waiting to connect in DC) before getting to the TH at 9 o'clock in the morning. Started on almost no sleep, it really sucked.

People that took an extra day to start the trail after all that travel don't have a reduced chance of finishing. Personally I like to start fresh if I have the opportunity.
    Yeah this is not what i was saying. I was referring to someone who stays 2 nights.
    -Jason

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I agree.
    I will also go out on a limb here and say that those who stay at the lodge their first night, don't complete their thru (if that is their intention)
    I say that because I believe the completing the trail is a journey of passion. (and endurance of course)
    And those that are asking for just one more night of luxury before hitting the trail, aren't going to have that passion.

At least not as much as the one who: drives 18 hours non-stop to get there, gets out of the car with a wonderful feeling of it finally happening and pauses just long enough (with anxiety) to take that damn picture, and starts the hike immedietly.

THAT's the guy I'd put my money on (if i was a betting man)
    The thing is, you originally did not say stay a second night. You said stay one night. That people who don't start immediately probably don't have passion enough to finish. I call BS on your original statement and double BS on all your follow-up statements.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I can see how some believe that a thru-hiker once he gets to Amicalola State Park would want to immediately begin his hike to Springer without hesitation. But seriously, most people as other's have said have traveled to get to Amicalola, and some are arriving with their families. What would be wrong with spending the day at Amicalola, with their family, and then spending their last night all together at the lodge in comfort? The next morning everyone gets to have a great breakfast buffet together to start their day. The family departs, and the thru-hiker begins his or her journey North. I mean seriously, I don't think this could get any better than that. And I think it would be just as much fun for the solo hiker to start out that way, after spending a nice night resting and then being well fed the following morning, and beginning one's hike fresh and with a positive mental outlook. As some have said, I think this would make one more likely to succeed than to fail

Journal Entries

bing! you hit it on the head dapperd....... that's exactly what i meant!

If you want to do what Bill Bryson did, stay home and write a book.

The Hiker Hostel has a thru hiker special including shuttles, $38 private room, or $16 just a bunk, and breakfast is included for that place too.....

Quote Originally Posted by MyName1sMud View Post
    Yeah this is not what i was saying. I was referring to someone who stays 2 nights.
    I thought you were done with whiteblaze?

WOW !!! This thread is funny..... I am doing the approach and staying at Len Foote with the wife who is coming to see me off. This IS part of my thru, if you consider this a zero day before starting, I guess you could say that I took 365, actually 366 zero days cause Feb will have 29 days this year. Guess i have little chance to finish, eah? Just adds another day before stepping on the official A.T if you will.

And your point was..........................

Images

So if my plan is to fly to Maine and spend two nights at the lodge in Millinockett before starting my sobo thru, you're saying I won't make it?

Maybe I'm an idiot....
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
    To do this type of long distance hike takes planning, knowledge and expereince. Anybody who has tried to figure it out as they went knows that can make your AT experience a difficult one. You might also want to be honest with yourself about what physical shape you're in. How much do you want to struggle?
    I suggest that a lot of hikers who start the AT have little knowledge, poor planning, poor equipment, and no experience.

Thats why mountain crossings exists only 31 miles from Springer, to replace the bad gear, give some advice, etc.

Of course, 75% drop out too rather quickly.

Its not your gear that gets you all the way, its what is between your ears.

Journal Entries

Heck, why not just start in Weogufka , Alabama on the Pinhoti trail, they are lobbying for it to be the new southern terminus of the AT anyway! Since its the southernmost reach of the appalachians. Only another 300 something miles.

Oh yes, you wanted to hike the AT. The approach trail is not part of the AT. It is simply ONE way to get onto it at Springer. But the arch at amicalola makes a good photo op.

HEY... good for you!!! If reading Bryson's book inspired you to hike the whole A.T. or just a part of it! Then do it! Ive done the first 200 miles 5 times, It's a nice hike in the spring for sure & you'll have lots of company. Most of what Bill wrote about is still there... the Rainbow Springs Campground, where he & Katz held up with the Chili is closed down, last yr was 2004. I know that area well, let me know if you have some questions... In any case.. HYOH.. Enjoy.. go see what you see.. Life Is Short... LIVE. EACH. DAY.
    Happy Hiking!
    Cheers, Solace
    "Reach Farther" ~ SOLACE

So the Lodge is for wimps, as any badass beginner hiker would obviously take the shuttle directly from the airport to the woods, and spend the first night in Georgia outdoors (and with just a tarp), right?

Whatever. The Lodge is nice and all, and there's no harm in claiming a last little luxury before starting. Personally, I wouldn't miss the chance to spend a night at the Len Foote Hike Inn instead-- they are super friendly, and will load you up with tasty food (and pass along a little education about sustainable living and ecological living). It's rustic, but way charming, and you can catch a fantastic sunrise view (with a hot cup of coffee), and get a nice big breakfast before heading up Springer. It's also less expensive than the Lodge (but more than the Hostel, I think).

For hikers there's a love hate relationship with Bill Bryson. On the one hand Bill Bryson is mentioned by so many people. Quoting stories and whatnot then you hear his book is considered fiction, meaning made up storys or stolen stories. So you have these people telling you, "I read Bill Brysons book I understand what you hike is like..." On the other hand people who have read his book tend to be more friendly to hikers by giving the food or a ride.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++