WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default doing it right...approach(bill bryson way)

anyone who has read "walk in the woods", i want to do what bill bryson did. my 1st plan was to stay at the hiker's hostel, and get shuttled to the approach.... but in the book, bill stays at a place called amicalola falls lodge, eats breakfast, and is on his way.... i don't know the area.. is this place bill stayed at still there, if so that's the way i want to do it. i read the book really carefully, i think he did the approach, can someone tell me, who knows that neck of the woods.... thanks.

According to the 2010 Companion, the lodge is still there and is still an option. It lists it at 75-200 dollars per night. The Hiker Hostel has a thru hiker special including shuttles, $38 private room, or $16 just a bunk, and breakfast is included for that place too.

I think for most people it comes down to money.

Journal Entries

thanks fog horn

Anytime Luckily I had just pulled the book out a few minutes prior to seeing your question, so it was handy and no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ekeverette View Post
    anyone who has read "walk in the woods", i want to do what bill bryson did. my 1st plan was to stay at the hiker's hostel, and get shuttled to the approach.... but in the book, bill stays at a place called amicalola falls lodge, eats breakfast, and is on his way.... i don't know the area.. is this place bill stayed at still there, if so that's the way i want to do it. i read the book really carefully, i think he did the approach, can someone tell me, who knows that neck of the woods.... thanks.
    I don't know the area firsthand, but through reading about Amicalola Falls State Park, and having read "A Walk in the Woods", I learned there is a lodge there. You can rent a room when you arrive at the park (may be better to call and reserve ahead of time) and begin your thru-hike right there, as I believe the lodge is located about a mile up and just off the Approach Trail to Springer Mountain. In Bill Schuette's book about his thru hike of the AT, called White Blaze Fever, this is what he did. He hiked up the approach trail from the Amicalola visitors center after weighing his pack, and then headed to Amicalola Lodge for the night. The next day he left the lodge, and proceeded back to the approach trail to Springer Mountain. He had made reservations ahead of time and received what he called the "Mountain Dew" special, which included the lodges breakfast buffet. I think if you don't mind paying a little more, and can get delivered right to the park, this is definitly a fine way to begin your journey!

Images

I stayed at the Amicalola Falls this summer and ate at the lodge. Amicalola Falls SP is the beginning of the Approach Trail it is 8.8 miles from Springer Mountain where the AT begins in the south. The lodge is in the state park on the hill. For lunch and dinner they do a buffet which is pretty good and you sit in the dining room where one entire wall is glass overlooking the foothills. The approach trail is where the 632 steps going up to the top of the falls and then heads into the woods towards Springer Mountain. There is also a shelter for hikers right behind visitors center.
    P7130186.jpgP7130190.jpgP7130192.jpgP7130198.jpgP7130210.jpg
    These are some pics from Amicalola and a pic of the shelter behind vistors center. Have a great hike.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Journal Entries

great help you guys...... thanks

Now if you are really doing the approach trail as described in the book, you have to jettison all of excess weight from your pack while swearing, and then on your first evening on the trail discover that all the "excess" weight you left along side the approach trail was you food.

Journal Entries

that's a good one omo!

Images

My hiking partner and I stayed at the lodge at Amicalola Falls State Park when we did our Georgia section hike a couple of years ago in March. The rate was under $100 for the night, breakfast was excellent (buffet style), and the view from the room was just gorgeous.

I've also stayed at the Hiker Hostel and been shuttled to Springer. That has its charms, too. I would recommend either of these options. The Lodge is probably better if you have a group coming to see you off on your trip, as everyone can stay there if they want.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Default the lodge

i've stayed there and eaten there in the last year...nice place & good food.
    However, I could not find Byrson's waitress.....Rayleen?

Journal Entries

If you want to do the trail like 'Bill Bryson', then you'll never finish.........
    (Good storyteller, not much of a hiker)
    Of course, if you can write a good story, then you you could stay at all the fancy places but like Bill, probably not make it much further than Gatlinburg, or 'dollyland', as some refer to it...
    If you want the real scoop on the trail, talk to someone like 'Baltimore Jack', whose hiked the whole thing seven or eight times.
    Good luck with it, the trail is a beautiful place

Images

Get some real good information at The Gathering. This year it is Oct 7,8 and 9 in North Adams, MA.

http://aldha.org/program_highlights_2011.htm
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Great place. Breakfast buffet, $5. Besides, if your out there to enjoy nature and see wonderful sights, why would you want to skip the largest cascading waterfall east of the Mississippi.

http://www.gastateparks.org/AmicalolaFalls
    Last edited by jesse; 09-19-2011 at 13:40. Reason: add text

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

I'm still having trouble deciding if I want to stay there at the start or the end of my hike.... choices choices choices
    -Jason

Default Want to be like Bryson?

I too read Bill Bryson's "A walk in the woods" and like him I stayed at Amacola Falls Lodge. I also did the approach trail.

I know you want to do this but you have bigger questions to ask yourself such as...why?

If you want to have the Bill Bryson experience try to remember he wrote a book so that it would sell and probably fudged more than we'll ever know. His goal in writing the book was entertainment and not an actual depection of the hike.

How much do you know about backpacking? How much experience do you have backpacking? Chosing equipment alone can get quite involved. Don't think hiking the AT is such an easy thing you can just "wing it" because Bryson did. To do this type of long distance hike takes planning, knowledge and expereince. Anybody who has tried to figure it out as they went knows that can make your AT experience a difficult one. You might also want to be honest with yourself about what physical shape you're in. How much do you want to struggle?

Do you want to do the approach trail just becaue Bill Bryson did it? I can tell you it's not necessary. 8.8 annoying miles that aren't even counted when the AT starts. Should I hike the AT again I will not do the approach trail. I just don't see the point. There are others who feel the same as I do.

Bill Bryson's book may have been entertaining but hiking the AT requires and understand of the reality that goes with it.

Not trying to be discouraging but warning you to be prepared for the real thing.
    THE LONGER YOU LIVE THE OLDER YOU GET

Quote Originally Posted by ekeverette View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't BB get shuttled by Wes Wisson, contact info in the link http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs...EB 7-29-11.pdf

He can probably answer a lot of your questions, plus you'll be getting shuttled by the same person that shuttled BB.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Yes Bryson got shuttled by Wes Wesson, from the Atlanta Airport to Amicalola Falls, not to te FS 42 parking lot.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Journal Entries

I read a book many years ago abour a man's journey across Canada. Someone asked him what he did to get in shape for his hike. He replied, " nothing, once you start hiking, you'll hav Legs of Steel", which I believe is the title of his book. My experience was that many people of all shapes and sizes started the trail and soon they were all thin.

Images

Another possiblity would be to start from the lodge and take the trail to Len Foote Hike Inn. That trail is about five miles. You could stay there (with reservation) or continue on past and connect with the approach trail. The trail to Len Foote has fewer PUDs than the approach trail and is about the same distance.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++