WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Wal-Mart boots...

I imagine this is a laughable idea. Even though I still plan to check out the Phil Oren fitting of boots at Hudson Trail Outfitters, that may prove to be beyond my very strict budget at this time due to the fact that my financial situation has changed. I was just wondering if anyone had ever used working boots sold at Wal-Mart (like the Brahmin brand) when backpacking. Thoughts?
    mini-m.

Images

Default Don't apologize for good questions

It's not laughable, but it probably is wrong.

First of all, "work boots" are made for a different purpose. They often don't have good tread (the gripping on the soles), and are far heavier than necessary.

Second, keep in mind that you aren't going to walk 2,000 miles. Your feet and knees are. "Cheaping" on boots/shoes is the biggest mistake you can make, because you will quit from how your feet feel. A cheap pack will hold up, even though not great; cheap clothes do just fine. You can even save more money on "house brand" noodles. But DON'T cheap your feet.

That said, you don't have to spend a lot, either. You can get excellent trail shoes and boots from a number of "overstock" sources, or even from the mainliners like REI during sales and clearance events, often for less than "Wal Mart" type footwear. And before I went to "work boots" on a cost basis, I'd get a pair of cheap - yeah, i know - running shoes at Walmart. I've actually found such shoes for $15 bucks that are very serviceable on trails, although they tend to wear out after a hundred miles or so.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by Mini-Mosey
    I was just wondering if anyone had ever used working boots sold at Wal-Mart (like the Brahmin brand) when backpacking. Thoughts?
    When my boots finally died I had a $20 pair of old JC Penny work boots that I had used at home doing yard work mailed to me at Gorham, NH. I used those boots the rest of the day with no problems. Wouldn't be my first choice but do whatever works for you.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

I imagine this is a laughable idea. Even though I still plan to check out the Phil Oren fitting of boots at Hudson Trail Outfitters, that may prove to be beyond my very strict budget at this time due to the fact that my financial situation has changed. I was just wondering if anyone had ever used working boots sold at Wal-Mart (like the Brahmin brand) when backpacking. Thoughts?
    if i was gonna buy shoes at walmart, id buy a $30 pair of sneakers before i bought work boots. the sneakers will work fine. they even have trail runners at walmart. they've taken over!
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Really, really bad idea. As someone above stated, you don't cheap out on your feet. They are the foundation of your hike. If your feet hurt, your hike will suck and you will quit, probably early, or waste a lot of time and money finding boots that do work.

Find good boots that fit you well before you leave, break them in properly and that's one less thing you need to worry about on trail.Go to every outfitter you can find in the area and try everything on. Find something that fits well and then buy that. If price is a real factor, search the web and the discounters for the best price you can get, but if that price plus the shipping does not still provide a commanding advantage, buy locally and support the local outfitter.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Registered Troll
    Images

My feet are screaming just reading this post.

Default Wal-Mart boots...

I've done over night hikes in Vermont and New Hampshire wearing lug soled Red Wing work boots. It has never occurred to me to say Wal-mart foot wear and hiking in the same thought.

Default wallmart boots

I would agree about your feet when I first started hiking I had on a pair of work boots and overalls,It did not take a long time figure out the feet,I week into the walk bought hi tech not the top of the line but better than others,I would not sell out on my feet,after years of long distant hiking shoes are my first choice all else comes after kentucky

Images

I was just wondering if anyone had ever used working boots sold at Wal-Mart (like the Brahmin brand) when backpacking. Thoughts?
    Why work boots? Wal Mart sells cheap hiking boots. My wife has a pair of "Pacific Crest" hikers from Wal Mart. Suede / fabric construction, no Goretex. I think she paid $29.99. She loves them. Won't wear anything else.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by icemanat95
    Really, really bad idea. As someone above stated, you don't cheap out on your feet. They are the foundation of your hike. If your feet hurt, your hike will suck and you will quit, probably early, or waste a lot of time and money finding boots that do work.

Find good boots that fit you well before you leave, break them in properly and that's one less thing you need to worry about on trail.Go to every outfitter you can find in the area and try everything on. Find something that fits well and then buy that. If price is a real factor, search the web and the discounters for the best price you can get, but if that price plus the shipping does not still provide a commanding advantage, buy locally and support the local outfitter.
    Im just one of those guys who never has foot problems. Never had a blister in thousands of miles of hiking. surely sneakers wont hurt your feet that bad. they may fall apart after 100 miles, but wont hurt..
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Journal Entries

Well, I'm not a fan of Walmart for philosophical reasons -- though I do buy food for my feral cats there after the local supermarket refused to carry large bags.

But they are smart merchandisers. And work boots are made for people who are on their feet all day. Loggers, surveyors, and others who spend a lot of time in the woods use them. Earl Shaffer thru hiked the trail three times in work boots.

I don't use them mostly because I use size 14 wides and rarely do I find a decent selection of such sizes in places like Walmart. I walked in 1993 in a seven year old pair of Dexter hiking boots, mostly because an MATC member told me he hiked the trail twice in the same pair of Dexters. Unfortunately, the leather cracked because of improper maintenance on my part and began letting dirt and pebbles in. Other wise I could see no reason why they wouldn't have made it all the way to Katahdin.

In contrast, the pair of Merrills that I replaced them with in Wayneboro, VA were pretty much history by the time I reached Maine. Since then I've worn almost daily a $27 pair of Dexter's seconds I found on sale. I like them because even with the tread gone, they provide better traction than did the Merrill "hiking boots."

The soles are pretty worn, now. The sole on one toe partially melted on a trail maintenance trip, last year, but my guess is they'll do for another year or two.

The key to good boots is proper fit. If they are comfortable and reasonably light, they will work -- and probably out wear outdoor store boots. If I were on a tight budget I'd first look for an LL Bean factory store, if any are nearby. Second choice would be Sears for sturdy work boots.

We all used sneakers and work boots 50 years ago. Then someone discovered that by putting a "hiking" label on things they could double their profit.

Weary

Weary makes a good observation as recounts what Earl wore on his hikes.

You don't have to dress as if you just stepped out of the pages of BacKpacker Magazine. Remember what the early hikers wore? Work boots or LL Bean moccasin boots. Cotton underwear. Cotton dress shirts. Blue jeans or long cotton/poly pants. Kelty frame packs. And not a trekking pole to be seen.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Nice compromise

If you are on a budget but still need a decent pair of boots (and don't want to hike in sneakers), have you thought of Hi Tec Altitudes?

A pair of boots I wear around town in winter, for trail work, and the occasional day hike [1] are Hi Tec Altitudes. They break in easily, are very comfy and are full leather. They weigh 2# 8oz for a Men's 9 medium, which are lightweight for full leather boots. And at $50-$75 (depending if they are on sale or not), they are quite the bargain for full leather boots.
    They also have a full steel shank, which is always good in a boot. Another bonus (in my opinion) is that they DO NOT have a Goretex liner so your feet breathe a bit better.

If you find them on sale, I suspect the extra $20 will give you a much better boot than the $30 Walmart boots. Will readily admit I have not used them on a thru-hike, but do know others who have use Hi Tec products for extended outdoor use and have been pleased.

They are on sale (with free S&H) at :
    http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/pcd/928...0953/ccsyn/260

[1] Pretty much a confirmed sneaker hiker. Will sometimes hike in my boots for non-trail work when there is a small amount of snow on the ground or I am getting out of work and want to take a quick hike.
    Last edited by Mags; 02-23-2005 at 15:11. Reason: insert link

I saw Ozark Mountain Hiking Boots at Wal Mart for $22.00.. You could buy several pairs..............

Earl also didn't wear socks.

Just goes to show that people have to discover what works for them, everyone's different.

With footwear, like everything else, people have to find out what is right for them: I've seen people unhappy with four hundred dolar boots and even more expensive orthotic insoles; I've seen people delighted with beat up thirty-dollar sneakers they got out of a hiker box. You never know.

As a rule, Iceman is correct, and your best bet is to get good footwear that is professionally fitted by someone who knows their business. But then again, you might find something on your own that is lots cheaper and gets the job done.

In all cases, pay attention to your feet, especially after getting new or replacement boots/sneakers. Watch for sore spots, red spots. Get decent socks, and try to keep your feet dry and happy. Don't let little problems become big ones. And if you realize that you've made a mistake with your footwear decision, don't assume that in time your feet will "adapt" to them. In many cases, they won't. If your boots don't feel right, or cause you discomfort or pain, then replace them right away with something that works.
    Even if it means spending extra money, do whatever is necessary to keep your feet healthy and happy.

The alternative is to go home, because NOTHING drives more people off the Trail than unresolved foot problems.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by weary
    We all used sneakers and work boots 50 years ago. Then someone discovered that by putting a "hiking" label on things they could double their profit.
    Weary

I agree and disagree with this statement at the same time.

Many work boots have steel toes in them. That means they do not flex and are a bit heavier. The term "work boots" is dubious today in any case. Many of the "work boots" you find in XYZMart are more for fashion. The better ones they do sell in XYZMart again have steel toes. My Dad bought a pair of workboots that could certainly hold up on the trail (if again a bit heavy due to the steel toe). They were also very expensive compared to bargain basement work boots you find in XYZMart.

What I do agree with is the slapping of the label on things to make it more expensive. Cook sets are the best (worst?) example of something simple being more expensive simply because it has an outdoor label on it.

Default thanks

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. I appreciate the helpful input.
    mini-m.

with a case of blind faith
    Images

Default 2 things

1) A friend bought a pair of wallyworld boots in Dahlonaga (sp?) several years ago, after blowing out another pair of boots at the start of a section. They at least held up for the next 4 days but not much longer after.

2) Consider shopping at a shoe/boot shop that deals with "returns" and "seconds". Perhaps I was lucky enough to have a worthy shop nearby with a very knowledgeable owner. My very best boots of all were shop returns. They were the best fit, best feel, longest lasting AND best value boots I've ever owned and they were Duck Head brand. Paid less than for a new pair of Walmart's best at the time.

I'm unique, just like everyone else........ One Leg's Avatar
    Images

Default Wolverine Boots

My son, M-n-M, had a pair of Wolverines from Wal-Mart, and I couldn't convince him that they wouldn't be the best choice for the trail. He started out on our hike last year using them, and by the time we reached Franklin, N.C., his socks were coming out of the soles. (They lasted longer than I thought they would.) He wanted, instead of buying some good boots, to go to Wal-Mart and get another pair. At that rate, we'd end up buying him half a dozen pairs of boots before we made it to Harpers Ferry. I won the arguement, and we got him a pair at the outfitters in Franklin.

The old addage "You get what you pay for" comes to mind here...
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way, you're a mile away, and you've got his shoes.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mags
    I agree and disagree with this statement at the same time.

Many work boots have steel toes in them. That means they do not flex and are a bit heavier. The term "work boots" is dubious today in any case. Many of the "work boots" you find in XYZMart are more for fashion. The better ones they do sell in XYZMart again have steel toes. My Dad bought a pair of workboots that could certainly hold up on the trail (if again a bit heavy due to the steel toe). They were also very expensive compared to bargain basement work boots you find in XYZMart.
    Many thanks, Mags, for a clarification I should have thought about. Never hike with a steel-toed work boot. Otherwise, if they are reasonably light weight, comfortable and sturdy -- and are the best you can afford, just do it. Among other things I should have mentioned is that unlined boots tend to be better for the trail -- other things being equal (comfort, fit and weight)-- a lining just collects water and is agonizingly slow to dry. An unlined boot will dry after a rain in a couple of hours. A lining sometimes takes days.

Weary

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++