WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hitchhiking out of Lone Pine

Hi,

I've read some posts on the best ways out of LP but couldn't find specific information about hitchhiking options.

We will be ending the JMT on Sunday September 4th and we want to get south where we will rent a car. Ridgecrest could be an option but we're looking at a one-way rental and the price is just too high there. So we are looking at either Bakersfield (preferred) or Lancaster.

ESTA don't run on Labor Day so the earliest we could go with public transportation would be Wednesday September 7th and we don't want to wait that long. So we're definitely looking at hitchhiking out of LP: either all the way to Lancaster, or all the way to Bakersfield, or to Mojave and then take the Greyhound bus to Bakersfield.

I've read that finding a ride in the valley on US 395 was pretty easy so I'm not worried about it. Nevertheless it seems that people heading back to Yosemite go north on US 395. Do you think hikers returning to the Bay area would go through Bakersfield? Do you think hitchhiking could be tough after leaving the valley to head to Mojave or Bakersfield, or being a thru-hiker would still help?

I'm from Europe and I have no idea how hitchhiking can be in the US so your help will be very appreciated!

Thanks,
    Ben

The problem is the mountains.
    Lone Pine is on the east side, Bakersfield on the west.
    So, you have to get over them.
    I wouldn't try to go through Yosemite.
    I've found that tourists on vacation rarely pick you up (unless they are hikers and you have a sign saying you are a hiker looking for a ride perhaps)
    I think you have a better chance of going south to Mojave and catching the bus from there.
    Lone Pine isn't a bad hitch as there's cool people around there although on the holiday weekend, it'll be mostly tourists I think.

Good luck. I've hitchhiked through your country 3 times. Paris is a bitch though.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

When I hiked the JMT I talked often to other hikers I met on the trail. When I reached the trailhead, one of the groups I had been leapfrogging was heading out. I asked for a ride to Lone Pine. No problem. Then they said they were heading to Bakersfield. I asked if they had room for one more. No problem.

If you can find somebody at the trailhead who is heading south, chances are good they'll be willing to help you out. As FH said, there is public transportation out of Mojave or Lake Isabella as well as Bakersfield.

check for a shuttle with the Anderson's.....they may be in the area for the holiday and be going south back home. I would much rather pay them than greyhound!

geek

Images

The store that surge fries and burgers in Whitney portal is owned by the same family as the hostel In lone pine. Lots of the employees work at both and will give u a ride .
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

Two weeks ago I hitched 300 miles from Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite to Barstow where I got on a train heading east. It took four hitches to cover the 300 miles.

I was on 395 from Lee Vining to just outside of Barstow. I never had to wait more than ten minutes for a hitch. Before my little hitching adventure began I'd made a sign with my intended destination on it, but never had to use it.

I don't think you'll have any problems finding rides.
    Grizzly Adam

WACphotography | Blog

By experience late in the season ( end october 2011)
    Going North From lone pine to Lee vining very easy to catch a ride, the into Yosemite .

Going South the to Bakersfield should be a problem,
    You may even be able to catch a full ride right form the portal.
    If your destination is Bakersfield don't rent a car better spend one night in a Motel and just Hitchhike all the way to Bakersfield.

1st rules of Hitchhiking Making easy on the driver ( Ez to see you , Ez to stop , Ez to pick you up & Ez to re start)

By experience late in the season ( end october 2011)
    Going North From lone pine to Lee vining very easy to catch a ride, the into Yosemite .

Going South the to Bakersfield SHOULD NOT be a problem,
    You may even be able to catch a full ride right form the portal.
    If your destination is Bakersfield don't rent a car better spend one night in a Motel and just Hitchhike all the way to Bakersfield.

1st rules of Hitchhiking Making easy on the driver ( Ez to see you , Ez to stop , Ez to pick you up & Ez to re start)

Sorry couldn't edit my post !!1

Yosemite rents out Garcias.

Images

hitched to reno. 7 hours in a car total of 10 minutes standing with cardboard sign. But my GF is kinda hot. I made her hold the sign. We even got a ride from a cute midget girl.
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

Just got back from my wife and I's thru hike. 2 hitches from lone pine and we were in Mammoth and rented a car to drive to reno. Waited about 15 min. in lone pine and 0 in Bishop for a hitch. Past Mammoth may be a little harder IMHO, thats why we rented the car.
    GREAT TRIP!
    schnikel

++ New Posts ++