WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Is Oct 10th to late to end?

The way my schedule works I was looking at starting around the middle of Sept and just wanted to know if that was to late. I'm also curious as to what type of night time temps would I be looking at for the beginning of Oct as well if anyone knows that? Thanks, Preston

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Deleted due to incorrect response (didn't notice that this was posted in the JMT forum).
    Last edited by Kerosene; 08-19-2011 at 01:15. Reason: Responded for AT when JMT asked about.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

He wants info about the John Muir Trail.

Fishmonger will chime in. I believe he is having a mid-Sept start this year.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

End to End - what trail are you talking about? Long Trail? - You could book it in Oct - you'd probably be cold and hit some snow and make it. Are you talking about the AT? Southbound? Huh? It can be done - you better be good.

Images

Oh - The JMT - sorry, I didn't see your post - not really sure - I'll defer to others ......

Most years I think you'd be all right. It will be cold at night, certainly. Expect frozen boots and water bottles at night. Possibly temps in the 20's. Some years they get a good October snowfall. I would check with the rangers to ask how great a chance that is. Early storms don't tend to last long, but you could get a foot or more of snow. If I were you, I'd head north from Whitney, so that you have the highest passes and longest remote stretches done earlier, when you have some idea what the forecast is supposed to be. The northern half has a lot easier bail out options.

I hiked in mid to late-September and it was great, no bugs, no snow and few people. October 10th may be pushing it.

It's a crap shoot, but when it's nice it is probably the best time of the year to be there. I summited on 14 October; the night befor was very cold, but the next day (less the morning) was cool, clear and sunny -- perfect day.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    It's a crap shoot, but when it's nice it is probably the best time of the year to be there. I summited on 14 October; the night befor was very cold, but the next day (less the morning) was cool, clear and sunny -- perfect day.
    Disregard. I was talking about Katahdin; I just noticed this is the JMT forum. Probably still applies though

so basically you are asking us to predict Oct 10th weather on the JMT
    I will be more accurate to predict the next lottery number

Quote Originally Posted by el31415 View Post
    so basically you are asking us to predict Oct 10th weather on the JMT
    I will be more accurate to predict the next lottery number

There's always at least one jack wagon per post. The question wasn't will it be raining and freezing on October 8th, it was is this reasonable or not and if I should plan on below freezing weather, ON AVERAGE.

I am starting after October 1st this year. I already did a September trip and it was just a little chilly at night. 30s in most places, freezing at Trail Camp with some ice in the tent and on the bag. All depends on the general weather situation. When nice, it can be in the 60s at 10k in mid October. I've climbed peaks in Octber and wore a t-shirt on the summit. It can also snow for a few days, but that doesn't happen too often. If you have proper gear for colder temps and know what to do should you find 8 inches of snow on the trail after 2 days hiding in the tent, October is no different from September. Days are shorter, and temps are a little lower, but you won't meet many people any longer. Basically, bring real gore tex, good gloves, a second pair of gloves, proper boots that can handle snow, gaiters, and thermal layers that would get you through a 1 degree night. A tent that can handle some snow without collapsing is also a good idea, and some extra food reserves should you run into a storm.

Thank you very much. That's the EXACT advice I was looking for.

watch this and you may want to go even later :-)

SUNDAY 02-OCT-2011, 6:56 AM PDTWelcome to Fall in the Eastern Sierra. A combination of clouds and cooler temperatures have made for perfect weather. Sunday will see a continuation of this pattern. Then, two storm systems will bring a major change to our weather this week. The first on Monday, will mostly be deflected by the large high over the Central US. Still, there will be a cool down and a slight chance of showers Monday and Tuesday. This system will set up another, stronger system on Wednesday and Thursday. Here there is enough cold air and moisture to effect all of Inyo and Mono Counties. The valleys will have a good chance at measurable precipitation and the mountains will get snow. Maybe as much as 1 – 2 feet in the upper elevations on Wednesday. Depending on where you are, snow levels could drop down to 6,000 or 7,000 feet. Temps will plummet some 20+ degrees below normal by mid week. This is a strong winter-like storm and a Winter Storm Watch will be issued later today.

needless to say, I am not even starting... guess I got lucky having a cold a week ago when I originally wanted to drive out west. There's always a next year...

For future reference some photos taken this weekend at about 12,500 feet

Mt. Whitney Trail (the "cables" above Trail Camp) on October 8. The storm was a few days earlier. This stuff won't melt away this season.

and a little higher up on the switchbacks below Trail Crest

Attached Images Attached Images

++ New Posts ++