WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Grand Canyon: South Rim to North Rim

I'm hiking the Grand Canyon from the South Rim to the North Rim starting on 9/30. I've never been to the Grand Canyon and am excited about the trip. I understand that this is just about the perfect time to take it in. We will be taking our sweet time, spending the first night at Indian Garden (read that there is a great sunset place nearby). The second AND third night are at the bottom, Bright Angel. Plan on doing a dayhike along the Colorado on the third day of hiking. Day 4 moves on to Cottonwood. Day 5 is the long climb out. I planned it this way to just enjoy and take tons of pictures.

Any tips on dos and don'ts? Must sees? Can't miss things?

My permit is for more folks than are going. There is only two of us at this point. I know it is VERY late notice but I wouldn't mind having a third. PM me if interested.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I wouldn't waste any money staying at Phantom Ranch unless your renting a cabin. The bunk rooms are like sardine cans with no place to sit except for your bunk. After dinner, non-guests are welcome to buy beer. The campground is comfortable.

Since you're taking your time, take lots of photos, the colors are constantly changing.

Images

since you have plenty of time, from indian gardens i would take the tonto trail over to the south kaibab to finish the descent to the river. the south kaibab below the tipoff is absolutely amazing.

the south kaibab above the tipoff isnt bad either but with staying at indian gardens working that in would be kind of silly.

the sunset spot youre talking of is maybe plateau point? either way, go to plateau point.

take a detour up the clearcreek trail a couple of miles either on your off day at bright angel or on your way up to cottonwood. the hike from bright angel to cottonwood is supremely easy so youll have lots of time that day. ribbon falls is another place to hit. i've never done it but apparently you can work your up to the upper falls, which are not visible from the base but are from the trail further back as youre headed north. people hiking south never see them unless they turn around after theyre past the falls.

the ranger at cottonwood has also told me bushwhacking up the transept (the canyon next to roaring springs canyon, which is what you hike out through) is a fun way to spend an afternoon.

Re Phantom Ranch: What kind of resupply can I get there? Would I be able to get enough food to get me by for the next two days?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Re Phantom Ranch: What kind of resupply can I get there? Would I be able to get enough food to get me by for the next two days?
    its been awhile, but i think just snacks and the sit down meals if you have reservations. i dont remember there being much there on a take with you and eat for dinner the next day sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Just did this hike for the second time this past July. South Rim to Phantom Ranch and back out on the same day. No food resupply at Phanton Ranch...take what you plan to eat while out on the trail. The creek at Phanton Ranch is a great place to relax and cool off on a hot day. Enjoy!!

I had heard that there was a snack bar at Phantom Ranch. Oh well, no biggie. Carrying food downhill ain't nuttin......

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Do take photos..
    Do share a trip report....

Don't bail on the trip.

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Very limited snack bar...YES...resupply for food...NO...the ice tea really hits the spot!

Quote Originally Posted by ReelContent View Post
    Very limited snack bar...YES...resupply for food...NO...the ice tea really hits the spot!
    I bet ice tea would be welcome. Will plan accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Do take photos..
    Do share a trip report....

Don't bail on the trip.

Will do
    Will do
    Won't do

Can't imagine bailing......better knock on wood just in case (taps head).

All great plans and basically what I did on my trip to the GC. Enjoy!Not sure about you time frames but have you looked into Havissu (sp) while you are in the area? It shouldn't be missed if you have the time.
    SweetAss

Quote Originally Posted by SweetAss03 View Post
    ... have you looked into Havissu (sp) while you are in the area? It shouldn't be missed if you have the time.
    Is that Havasu, AZ? Tell me about it. I've got like 6 days to drive out there with a mini vacation before the Grand Canyon. The only thing on my list right now is Winslow Arizona.......gotta stand on the corner.

This will be my first time EVER to the Grand Canyon. I've never even seen it before, let alone hike it.
    ,, AZ

Whats over the next hill? Pioneer Spirit's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Was down there in 1977. Parked and walked down and back on a whim. No permits in those days. There were water fountains along the way then plus passing the mules.Many folks do your hike in one day. You will have a blast.
    Of course that's my opinion and I could be wrong.
    Buckeye Trail 2,700 miler.

Talking

It is a little bit of a drive west down the south rim but so well worth it...maybe an hour and a half?? Google search it for sure.The hike to the falls is roughly 8 miles to the Indian village where you buy your reservations then about two more miles to the falls. The water and the falls are nothing short of stunning. A Google search will give you a small idea of how blue the water is...but it doesn't do it justice.I went down there for two days...it was enough to explore what needed to be explored. Longer would have been nice but the whole canyon area has so much to see! I did both the GC and the falls in a one week trip from Washington State, it was my first trip down there and it was awesome. It started Snowing about 30 miles into my drive and didn't stop until I reached Flagstaff 24 hours later. It had snowed almost 2.5 feet that night in flagstaff. I think it was 2007, there was about 1.5 feet of snow on the rim.and I got into the canyon for free...pretty much everyone cancelled their trips. The snow was gone after the first mile down and the weather was in the 70's...man what a great time!Have fun, hope you enjoy it all!
    SweetAss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SweetAss03 View Post
    It is a little bit of a drive west down the south rim but so well worth it...maybe an hour and a half?? Google search it for sure.The hike to the falls is roughly 8 miles to the Indian village where you buy your reservations then about two more miles to the falls. The water and the falls are nothing short of stunning. A Google search will give you a small idea of how blue the water is...but it doesn't do it justice.I went down there for two days...it was enough to explore what needed to be explored. Longer would have been nice but the whole canyon area has so much to see! I did both the GC and the falls in a one week trip from Washington State, it was my first trip down there and it was awesome. It started Snowing about 30 miles into my drive and didn't stop until I reached Flagstaff 24 hours later. It had snowed almost 2.5 feet that night in flagstaff. I think it was 2007, there was about 1.5 feet of snow on the rim.and I got into the canyon for free...pretty much everyone cancelled their trips. The snow was gone after the first mile down and the weather was in the 70's...man what a great time!Have fun, hope you enjoy it all!
    thats supai, az, which is in havasu canyon. havasu, az is an entirely different place.

I’ve done the South Rim twice now, and just got back from Supai - just a couple of weeks ago.

You can’t miss with the hike you have planned. I would definitely agree that you should find a way to work in the South Kaibab trail. Bright Angel is very nice, but that hike down South Kaibab is stunning. I found the Tonto trail to be boring and the Clear Creek trail to be a much better option for a hike once you are at the Phantom Ranch area.

If you have the time, I’d highly recommend going to Supai and doing the hike down to the waterfalls. The hike down in is good, but just okay in term of GC hiking. But, the waterfalls and the blue water running through the campground are simply the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. You are best off reserving the campground in advance, and you can information for that here: http://www.havasupaitribe.com/.

If it was me, I’d take a day less at the Phantom Ranch area and find a way to get to Supai as well, as you seem to have enough time to do it. But get excited, you are in for an incredible trip no matter what you end up doing!

Chin, you can get sack lunches at the canteen, that is what i did last year, you have to call ahead, had stuff left when i got on the rim. They also have great beef stew.

Dang, I wish I had known about Havasu Falls sooner than this. WOW

Havasu-Falls-Arizona.jpg

It is sooooo stunng ! Enjoy thy had bagelg when we went thru but not a whole lot great lemonade ...stupendous country I 4got name of last time on azt ..pine ? But great cookies at the little store..wld do the trail again in a second

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++