Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Looking for seniors for 2012 thru hike

Looking for seniors to go with me for the thru hike in April 2012. Anyone from Nevada? I'm 62 and not as fast as the 20-year olds!

I am toying with the idea of 2012 though I plan on starting in the middle and work my way up north and then flop to the middle and end at springer,

Images

I am planning on an April 1st start NOBO. I don't think we are going to be alone. I was on Springer last March and the trail was already busy with thru hikers.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

I will be starting my thru hike March 15 or earlier if weather permits.I am 63 and in pretty good shape;actually better than my 40 year old son!!!!

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Hi. Will any of you be at The Gathering? We should meet.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Images

I will be on the approach trail mid March. I will also be 62 at that time and looking to start slow then build up my mileage. I have never done a long hike but have been looking forward to this for a few years now. Will sure feel good getting away from a desk and into the woods.

I'm interesed in NOBO in the spring as well. However I have been doing section hiking, so only going as far north as Damascus.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

There is a group of 60 plus women I met tonight at my REI talk that are starting late April, like April 23rd, and will go as far as they can and just enjoy being out

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Default senior hiker

I started out last March 22nd with two other women but we never hiked together other then a day. I only made about 400 miles making some major mistakes that I don't wish to repeat. I enjoy just hiking and not worry about the amount of miles per day to put in. I would love to finish this trail but am hesitant to hike solo. There are however, many great people on the trail as I have met many. I will be 62 this spring and am considering giving it another attempt or at least tack on more of what I have already finished. I don't want to leave in March because the weather is freezing and it rained a lot. It's a wonderful trail with wonderful people.

I understand about not wanting to go fast or start with 20 mile days. I've done 400 miles last spring and saw many injuries due to rushing.

Am thinking late March or early April and hope to connect with others for friendship and encouragement. Have to start slow, easy walking now with sore knee after recent fall. Slow start will help physical well being but I know I look for companionship to get through the mental/emotional hills on the way. I'll be 50 this year and want to make it meaning-full by completing a thru hike come hell or high water, and with climate change we may see either!

I would like to have a or some hiking partner(s) but I know how difficult it is - like impossible but despite both good and bad experiences still think planning ahead is easier than trying to meet on the trail. Start date makes a lot of difference in the people you meet and if you know about how fast or far you can go daily that seems the best determinant of staying in general vicinity. Can anyone tell me how to find someone to at least start with? Is there a compatability test?
    The mind can go in a thousand directions,
    But on this beautiful path, I walk in peace.
    With each step a gentle wind blows.
    -Thich Nhat Hanh

Images

Ladies, Miss Janet once told me that she felt the most successful group was females over 50. They know to start slow, carry less, and have the fortitude to keep on keeping on. Best wishes!

Hello All,
    I am planning to start sometime between 3/15 and 4/1 and would love to have buddies to at least start and maybe even finish with. I am 51 and I plan on starting with up to 10 miles per day and more frequent 0's until I at least get to NC. May have some friends who have completed/are completing section hikes for the first few days, so their experience will be a wonderful thing to share. If anyone wants to get in touch feel free, or perhaps we'll just meet by chance on the Trail. My very best wishes to you all.
    Lora

As is often said here on WB, don't frett starting alone, because you won't be. Between March and May, there are pleanty of both young and old starting the trail. Meeting up with someone with similer hiking speed, style and temperment is rarely a problem.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I have found that communication before hand helps, but is never a guarantee. I have been out for a week where we all agreed that we would meet for lunch and at the end of the day, but might or might not hike together. That allowed the early risers to get onto the trail without waiting while the coffee drinkers could sip their drink without feeing rushed. I will be doing 5 weeks starting March 26 from Springer. I am planning to resupply on a more or less weekly basis with mileages ranging from 8 to 15.

Hi Lora,
    I am planning to start on March 26 from Springer for about 5 weeks. My current plan ranges from 7-12 miles the first week w/ weekly resupply points.Would love to talk more!
    Zorra ([email protected])

Default possible partner?

Hi Lora,
    I am 57 and planning to start on March 26 from Springer for about 5 weeks. My current plan ranges from 7-12 miles the first week w/ weekly resupply points.Would love to talk more!

Quote Originally Posted by Zorra View Post
    Hi Lora,
    I am planning to start on March 26 from Springer for about 5 weeks. My current plan ranges from 7-12 miles the first week w/ weekly resupply points.Would love to talk more!
    I cannot say right now exactly what day I will start, but would be very happy to meet you if it works out. I may, for financial reasons, try to work until the end of the month and start in April. But why don't we keep in touch?
    In the meantime, have a lovely holiday.

Hello everyone. I am 57 and I have been thinking of doing this all my life. I plan on starting at Springer on or around April lst. I know it is said that companions just happen and I'm counting on that; however, it would be great to talk to a few of you before the big day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++