WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Osprey atmos 35

Default Osprey atmos 35

Anyone try and thru hike with a 3ltr pack. Had a aether 60 it just wont ride rite on my back always presses on my tail bone. my atmos 35 feels good. just wanted to know if you thought it was big enough or if I ought to bump up to the 50.

In my opinion you would need an ultralight and compact load but it would help to know what your gear is like. Maybe post your main items at least. I use a GG Gorilla which is large enough for my packing style
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far". Theodore Roosevelt

just playing with it right now but

3ltr platy
    msr hubba tent
    therma rest sleeping pad
    pocket rocket and titiam cup
    marmot helium 15F bag
    food bag

still working on clothes, first and and other stuff

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

My take is, if you aren't already bpretty sure that you can fit into the 35L, then don't try to force it. There's a slight chance that you could make it work for summer hikes, but that 15-degree bag is going to eat up a lot of space and add a bunch of weight. I'd look at the 50L. Unfortunately, there aren't many manufacturers out there who make lightweight 50L packs with decent features. Take a look at the ULA Circuit, which is what I'm considering.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Well loaded the pack up and found 1 big problem on long hikes the frame on the osprey digs in on my hips. Does the ULA Circuit have a fram at the hips. guess I need to go up to mountain crossing and try one on

look at Granite Gear. The hip belts are thicker. The ULA is nice, just need to be light. The nimbus meridian is a great pack if you like the osprey

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    look at Granite Gear. The hip belts are thicker. The ULA is nice, just need to be light. The nimbus meridian is a great pack if you like the osprey
    Being a MN transplant .... I'll also add that you can semi-custom Granite Gear packs to help dial in fit. You can buy different thickness and size of belts and shoulder harnesses.

Images

I did it with an Atmos 50 and was wishing I had a smaller pack towards the end. I did cut my gear down a decent bit but if you pack smart you can definitely make the 35 work. The MSR Hubba may be a bit of a bulky option for that pack though (I also used a Hubba). Look at some of the tarptent or Six Moon Designs options to cut your weight/pack size and also eliminate poles, assuming you are using trekking poles. I am looking at that pack or even one of the Hornet series for my next pack. Really love Osprey products.

++ New Posts ++