WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Anyone been to Chimney Tops Lately?

One of my favorite hikes in the Smokies is Chimney Tops. Once out to the rocky out-cropping, I've always taken the path off to the right rather than trying to climb strait up the rocks. But with each passing year, I could see how the path and vegitation was eroding away. The last time I was up there, there were several spots where you were basically rock climbing for a distance of about 10'.

Now I haven't been to Chimney Tops in about 10 year, and I'm wanting to take my 9yo son. But from what I recall of the conditions up there, I feel like I need to toss climbing harnesses and a 20' piece of rope into my backpack so that I can safely help my son scramble up that rough final climb.

Has anyone been to Chimney Tops lately (say in the last 2 years) that can give me any update on the conditions at the top?

Images

I was there a couple of months ago. There is a sign that says not to go off on the path to right, but people were doing it anyway. I went over at looked, and the people in front of us just climbed right up through the crevice no problem. I on the other hand could only get half way up before I froze with fright, but that's me. No one else seemed to have a problem.

El Sordo
    Images

last time I was there the trail up the face had been closed and you now have to go around from the backside.
    Dyslexics Untie!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The old trail up the face has been closed for YEARS now. You've had to take the 2 mile backside trail for a while.

But it's what things are like when you get to the top I'm interested in.

See, once you cross the narrow ridge that takes you from the main moutain out to the Chimney's pininsula, there's two ways to get to the top of the Chimneys. The strait route requires you to climb a bare exposed rock face (slanted at about a 45 degree angle) that is pretty darn high. I've seen lots of people scramble up that way. The one time I tried, I had some camera equipement with me. After about 10', I felt so exposed and unbalanced carrying the gear that I chickened out. But there was also a path to the right where you sort of go most the way around the 1st Chimney and climb up it from the side. Things were much less exposed in this direction, but erosion in that area was pretty bad.

Now because of the erosion that was occuring, I could understand the park service putting up a sign asking people to not go that way. But the exposed route seems so exposed and dangerous, I would have though by now there would have been enough accidents up there that the part service would have done something to increase the safty of getting to the top. After all, they built that concrete dam and ugly fence at the popular Laural Falls. I would think they could install a chain to hold on to like for those going up half-dome out west.

I must say, I'm suprized there hasn't been more accidents at Chimney's that the ones I know about given how exposed AND popular the place is. And if they haven't made any saftey improvements up there in the last several years, I'm questioning my sanity about wanting to take a 9yo out there.

I could easily notice the changes from one trip to the next. So I can understand the park service putting up signs asking people not to go that way.

Images

I appreciate you posting this question. We are hoping to plan a trip there in October. I look forward to the answers!

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I found a trip review at tripadvisor that confirms jeepocatchers' claim as of 08/22/2011 - that the park service appears to have closed the path to the right side of the moutain top.
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...e.html#REVIEWS

I was there last Saturday. They have a sign at the trail head warning of the danger and to climb at your own risk. They have the same sign posted at the top, telling you not to go on the trail to the right. It is badly eroded. They want you to climb up the rock face. It is not bad at all when it is dry. I don't like heights that well and it didn't bother me too bad. When the rock is wet it is much more slippery. It was wet when I was up there. Going up not to bad, coming down was a little harder. I just did a "crab walk" sorta coming back down.

Images

Cool

I proposed to my wife there just over two years ago. Perfect spot cuz she had no cell service to start making her calls.
    "I drank what?" Socrates

Up there two years ago, took the trail to the right (around the sign). Not a difficult climb. Beautiful spot to be.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sly dog View Post
    I proposed to my wife there just over two years ago. Perfect spot cuz she had no cell service to start making her calls.
    I'm suprized, last time I was ever up there, I had great cell service.

Journal Entries
    Images

Trails are closed for the darn-est reasons - Mt Cadillac is closed for raptor nesting... but for the most part there has been a major change over the last twenty years... liability & lawyers... In the past "it was an act of god" vs - you should have closed or done the right thing! Lawyers are actively going after tornado's and sheer straight line winds and other "accidents" and making lots of damn money. There is one trail where a huge outcrop of rock is balanced here in Pa with a large hole in it.... Yea its still open... But that's my take.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Trails are closed for the darn-est reasons - Mt Cadillac is closed for raptor nesting... but for the most part there has been a major change over the last twenty years... liability & lawyers... In the past "it was an act of god" vs - you should have closed or done the right thing! Lawyers are actively going after tornado's and sheer straight line winds and other "accidents" and making lots of damn money. There is one trail where a huge outcrop of rock is balanced here in Pa with a large hole in it.... Yea its still open... But that's my take.
    Understand, the purpose of this post was to try to assertain the current conditions at the end of the Chimney Tops trail in the Great Smokie Moutains.

But on the subject of closures, GSMNP seems to be pretty good about NOT closing areas unless there is a pretty good reason.

While I'm sure there are a few others, the only things that I know of that are closed include:
    1. All caves - has something to do with bats and a spreading disease
    2. Sections of the park that recently recieved Tornado damage
    3. A few areas that are off-trail where falcons are nesting.
    4. The old STEEP trail that goes up the face of Chimneys (the trail generoll referenced).
    5. An area near Cliff-tops atop Mt. LeConte (not sure of the exact reason).
    6. The "right side" path at the top of Chimney Tops Trail (obviously due to erosion, I was suprized just how much erosion I could see from one visit to the Chimneys to another in a time span of 1 year or less).
    7. Occational closures of back-county camp sites where bears have been a little "too" active.
    8. Other places that get listed at http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm

But otherwise, pretty much the rest of the park (both on and off trail) are open to hikers.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I recall hiking this when my son was nine months old in a carrier. Brought back memories

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I'm suprized, last time I was ever up there, I had great cell service.
    Not all cell companies are created equal apparently
    "I drank what?" Socrates

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I hiked to Andrews Bald and to LeConte Lodge (up Boulavard, down Alum Cave) when my son was a year old in a carrier. Those were difficult enough. I can't image trying to climb out on the Chimney Tops rocks with a child straped on my back.

Images

And as far as the climb to the top, two and a half years ago I saw no sign and we went the side way and had to do the vertical climb but she couldn't manage. I was at top and searched for an easier way and for her it was easiest to climb up that 45 degree face. That's the way we came down but she had to do it on her but to feel safe, she was afraid to decend standing up. I did see trail workers on the lower section with their pack animals working on the trail that day so maybe they were the ones who placed the signs you mentioned.
    "I drank what?" Socrates

++ New Posts ++